Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 53

Author Topic: Fortress Overseer 0.70.1 - !Open Source! 3D Visualizer - 31.25-34.11 Support  (Read 367068 times)

Yannanth

« Reply #480 on: January 06, 2012, 08:15:48 am »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 05:13:46 am by Yannanth »

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Overseer v0.51 - 3D Visualizer - 31.25 Support (see 1st post)
« Reply #481 on: January 06, 2012, 01:45:48 pm »

Sorry for very slight necro.

Just wanted to point out that since the project is open-source, anyone can pick it up after the creator, as he said, will most likely abandon the project. His work sahl not go with him to the graveyard! :D

Nothing's being abandoned yet. I'm putting more work into the next release this weekend. Source code for the current version isn't publicly available because it's terrible and hacked together, but I promise to post it if I go out before the next release.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 07, 2012, 01:16:00 am »

Like.
At last, she is done.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 15, 2012, 04:08:07 am »

I keep getting this error and I have no idea why:
Code: [Select]
04:03:29: Parsing scripts for resource group SkyX
04:03:29: Parsing script SkyX.material
04:03:29: Compiler error: invalid parameters in SkyX.material(109): param_named and param_indexed properties requires at least 3 arguments
04:03:31: Finished parsing scripts for resource group SkyX
It crashes right after that point, every time.

Any idea why, or am I just missing something blatantly obvious?

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 15, 2012, 04:20:30 pm »

Thank you for the necro actually, I didn't know this existed and I am very excited to try it. Right on for an amazing project!

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 17, 2012, 07:30:54 pm »

I keep getting this error and I have no idea why:
Code: [Select]
04:03:29: Parsing scripts for resource group SkyX
04:03:29: Parsing script SkyX.material
04:03:29: Compiler error: invalid parameters in SkyX.material(109): param_named and param_indexed properties requires at least 3 arguments
04:03:31: Finished parsing scripts for resource group SkyX
It crashes right after that point, every time.

Any idea why, or am I just missing something blatantly obvious?

Can't say for sure, other than the SkyX material issues aren't causing the crash -- that error is always there as far as I know. Make sure your video card drivers and DirectX are both completely up to date, and if that doesn't work, tell me what your video card is.

I've been doing some experimenting recently and I think I have a voxel solution that will work, at least in terms of geometry. Haven't handled the texturing yet, and tonight (if all goes well) will be my first attempt at using the voxel engine with real DF data instead of test cases that I come up with.

Connecting to Dwarf Fortress, at least for now, is not the way things will work anymore. As a lot of you know, DFHack has undergone substantial changes and now lives inside of DF. Peterix is working on an external API for it, but for now I'm going to have to write a simple map export plugin for DFHack that is run from the DFHack console, which will produce a map file that can then be loaded into Overseer. Eventually the connection aspect will be back, and less prone to crash DF, but for now it's just an extra step in the visualizing process.

Anyways, at this point, this is a race against the Toad. I really want to see the new towns and catacombs in 3D as soon as DFHack is updated to work with the next version, so I'm spending most of my free time hacking together something that might be ready by then.

Just a heads up, there's a chance the next release might be a few steps backwards in some ways from the current release. Textures are going to be a bit more iffy now that we're allowing wider smoothing via marching cubes to happen. Water, in particular, probably isn't going to look as pretty. The reflection and refraction maps required planar water surfaces, and in a lot of cases that just didn't look good at all. Plus, due to my lack of frustum and occlusion culling, maps for all water surfaces were generated each frame, causing massive lag. I want to do things right this time around, so our first glimpse of water is probably just going to be possibly transparent (can't guarantee the transparency yet, but definitely NOT reflective/reflactive) blue rendered in increments of sevenths of a tile as they are in DF (but smoothed with marching cubes like the rest of the terrain).

The good news is that this will make inclusion of magma very easy and a definite feature.

Additionally, treating each voxel as an eighth of a vertical tile (floor + 7 levels of liquid) will allow me to (optionally) introduce some noise to the landscape so it's more naturally rolly instead of planar.

Our visual style is probably going to change a lot, possibly for the worse until we get things worked out, but bear with us, because we think in the end it's gonna be awesome.

Troopperi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 21, 2012, 04:37:15 am »

This thing looks like wonderful but it doesn't work on my computer:

"The program cannot run because d3dx9_42.dll is missing..."

(Okay, that was in Finnish in my system but I rougly translated it)

Then:

"Could not load dynamic library etc etc"

Any ideas?
I was going to change the name of battle axe to Dane axe but the I realized that there are no Danish in DF.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 21, 2012, 04:34:39 pm »

This thing looks like wonderful but it doesn't work on my computer:

"The program cannot run because d3dx9_42.dll is missing..."

(Okay, that was in Finnish in my system but I rougly translated it)

Then:

"Could not load dynamic library etc etc"

Any ideas?

Install DirectX.

I've mostly been working with dfhack over the past couple of days, but I've got a simple protobuf exporter going. Here's a very, very rough pass at displaying the exported information with voxels:

Still some obvious issues to work out. Showing wireframe here because there's no materials yet and the normals are kinda wonky. Also, this is all being extracted as a single mesh, with the highest possible LOD, so that's why there are so many triangles. Ramps are pretty jagged right now due to the way I'm storing them -- I'll be performing smoothing passes over the voxel data to make them nice and rolling.

But, I think this is promising. I think the more rounded feel to the tunnels looks nice. I'll keep posting pictures as I go.

EDIT: So I think I'm going to call the actual rendering bit quits for now and go back to working on a real framework for this. The pictures above were built right onto the code for the first Ogre tutorial because it was the quickest and easiest thing to get running. I've got some old stuff on google code to help me get started, but there's a threading bug in it and I need to more fully evaluate some of my design choices. I'll be doodling some voxel smoothing approaches on the side while I do all of this. PROGRESS!

DOUBLE PLUS EDIT: So through explaining the current ramp implementation to sexymustard, I did another pass at the ramps. They're much better now, and not the jagged cliffs that they were before. Still need work, certainly, but I figured I'd show a screenshot so people can offer suggestions before it's too late.  ;)

Here's a rampy area of our test embark in wireframe:

And here it is in shaded white, so you can kind of get a better idea of what you're looking at:

As mentioned above, the normals are kind of wonky and I haven't done any work with them, so ignore the shading. But this is what we're dealing with, and what we're planning on the actual release of the next version somewhat looking like. So, what do you guys think about the first pass at smoother geometry? Yay or nay (keeping in mind that it will be getting better, of course!)?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:04:32 pm by thewonderidiot »

Troopperi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 22, 2012, 09:32:59 am »

Thank you, I didn't read Readme...

But now it says: Can't attach to Dwarf Fortress, are you sure it's running?

And it's running. Should I put the folder of this program somewhere, or is it the Mayday graphics that I am using?
I was going to change the name of battle axe to Dane axe but the I realized that there are no Danish in DF.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 22, 2012, 02:11:41 pm »

Now you need the Memory.xml for 31.25. It's linked in the first post, but you can download it here: https://github.com/downloads/mikestewart/Overseer/Memory.xml. Right click on that, and 'save link as'. Overwrite the Memory.xml in your Overseer folder, and you should be good to go!  :D

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 22, 2012, 11:47:05 pm »

I like the new geometry.  It seems like it will make DF landscapes appear much more natural than it does when viewed in tiles.  I'm interested to see how this approach renders constructions that utilize a lot of ramps across many z-levels.
At last, she is done.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 22, 2012, 11:58:17 pm »

I like the new geometry.  It seems like it will make DF landscapes appear much more natural than it does when viewed in tiles.  I'm interested to see how this approach renders constructions that utilize a lot of ramps across many z-levels.

In the ideal situation, constructions using ramps will have done so with the logical real-world geometry of ramps in mind, so it should come out looking natural, if a bit too curvy. I plan on allowing voxel editing to some extent, so people should be able to patch botched ramps up without too much hassle. I'm also thinking about defining ramps differently for constructed ramps and natural ramps in terms of voxel densities -- I might be able to get constructed ramps to be more angly if I'm careful enough with my voxel choices.

Troopperi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 23, 2012, 09:47:18 am »

Okay, now i can say something from this. This thing is nice. It's great for visualizing statues or other building. I love the trees, but more different images for trees would be nice. They all look like spruces. Another thing is that this doesn't display doors etc, but I think that you are working on this. The ground looks like a bit boring, and those white squares caused by pebbles and boulders are not nice, but this thing is DF's fault. It would be nice too that trees have a grassy platform, maybe they would copy the texture of surrounding square.

But anyway, this is great. It's nice to see your whole fort well visualized.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:15:21 am by Troopperi »

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 23, 2012, 03:15:33 pm »

I love the trees, but more different images for trees would be nice. They all look like spruces.
Yup, only included evergeen models in this release. I went through a bunch of iterations of tree tests, and what's currently there is what's going to stay. There will be greater variation in tree models shortly.

Another thing is that this doesn't display doors etc, but I think that you are working on this.
Yeah, we're not displaying anything other than landscape, water, and trees right now. Non-geometric constructions (like doors and workshops) and items are coming eventually, but not before we crank out the new build with the new geometry generator.

The ground looks like a bit boring, and those white squares caused by pebbles and boulders are not nice, but this thing is DF's fault. It would be nice too that trees have a grassy platform, maybe they would copy the texture of surrounding square.
Yup, that's just what it looks like on a per-tile basis. Now that we're smoothing things out, it's likely that a bunch of that will go away, and we can mess with how we handle it.

Okay, now i can say something from this. This thing is nice.
But anyway, this is great. It's nice to see your whole fort well visualized.
Thanks!

Progress update: I've got Overseer almost completely building with CMake -- only thing left to configure is the tolua++ layer, which ideally should be done in a few hours. This is going to be much, much nicer than just having Visual Studio project files for development. And it's being tested on both Windows and Linux as I go. After that I'm going through and pruning what's left of the source and implementing an importer to match the exporter I wrote for DFHack. Then, we're on to implementing PolyVox properly and writing the geometry generators!

EDIT: Build system's fully working now. Just need to clean up the old code I have already for the next release to make it applicable (no need to check for Memory.xml updates anymore since we're currently just importing binary map files -- though instead of an updater this now requires a file open dialog, which I'll probably do in CEGUI to keep things cross-platform). After that, it's integrating PolyVox's volume paging properly, and then using it to build the new geometry generator! :D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:26:02 pm by thewonderidiot »

Corak666

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 10, 2012, 09:34:31 am »

I have eternal error when trying to use Ogreseer (09.03.2011) last version for 0.31.25.
Can you help?

here is error:

OGRE EXCEPTION(2:InvalidParametersException): Named constants have been initialised, perhaps a compile error. in GpuProgramParameters::_findNamedConstantDefinion at ..\..\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreGpuProgramParams.cpp (line 1423)

here is log:

* Cube mapping: yes
 * Hardware stencil buffer: yes
   - Stencil depth: 8
   - Two sided stencil support: no
   - Wrap stencil values: yes
 * Hardware vertex / index buffers: yes
 * Vertex programs: yes
 * Number of floating-point constants for vertex programs: 192
 * Number of integer constants for vertex programs: 0
 * Number of boolean constants for vertex programs: 0
 * Fragment programs: yes
 * Number of floating-point constants for fragment programs: 8
 * Number of integer constants for fragment programs: 0
 * Number of boolean constants for fragment programs: 0
 * Geometry programs: no
 * Number of floating-point constants for geometry programs: 308
 * Number of integer constants for geometry programs: 20084
 * Number of boolean constants for geometry programs: 16942
 * Supported Shader Profiles: hlsl ps_1_1 ps_1_2 ps_1_3 ps_1_4 vs_1_1
 * Texture Compression: yes
   - DXT: yes
   - VTC: no
   - PVRTC: no
 * Scissor Rectangle: yes
 * Hardware Occlusion Query: yes
 * User clip planes: yes
 * VET_UBYTE4 vertex element type: yes
 * Infinite far plane projection: yes
 * Hardware render-to-texture: yes
 * Floating point textures: no
 * Non-power-of-two textures: yes (limited)
 * Volume textures: yes
 * Multiple Render Targets: 1
   - With different bit depths: no
 * Point Sprites: yes
 * Extended point parameters: yes
 * Max Point Size: 10
 * Vertex texture fetch: no
 * Number of world matrices: 0
 * Number of texture units: 6
 * Stencil buffer depth: 8
 * Number of vertex blend matrices: 0
 * Render to Vertex Buffer : no
 * DirectX per stage constants: no
*** D3D9 : Subsystem Initialised OK ***
DefaultWorkQueue('Root') initialising on thread 00156458.
Particle Renderer Type 'billboard' registered
DefaultWorkQueue('Root')::WorkerFunc - thread 001D4B28 starting.
SceneManagerFactory for type 'OctreeSceneManager' registered.
SceneManagerFactory for type 'TerrainSceneManager' registered.
Parsing scripts for resource group Autodetect
Finished parsing scripts for resource group Autodetect
Parsing scripts for resource group Fonts
Finished parsing scripts for resource group Fonts
Parsing scripts for resource group Forest
Parsing script 3d-diggers_fir.material
Finished parsing scripts for resource group Forest
Parsing scripts for resource group General
Finished parsing scripts for resource group General
Parsing scripts for resource group Imagesets
Finished parsing scripts for resource group Imagesets
Parsing scripts for resource group Internal
Finished parsing scripts for resource group Internal
Parsing scripts for resource group Layouts
Finished parsing scripts for resource group Layouts
Parsing scripts for resource group LookNFeel
Finished parsing scripts for resource group LookNFeel
Parsing scripts for resource group Ogreseer
Parsing script basics.material
Parsing script constructed.material
Parsing script constructedParent.material
Parsing script general.material
Parsing script rough.material
Parsing script roughParent.material
Parsing script textured.material
Parsing script texturedParent.material
Finished parsing scripts for resource group Ogreseer
Parsing scripts for resource group Schemes
Finished parsing scripts for resource group Schemes
Parsing scripts for resource group SkyX
Parsing script SkyX.material
Compiler error: invalid parameters in SkyX.material(109): param_named and param_
indexed properties requires at least 3 arguments
Finished parsing scripts for resource group SkyX
uses world ptr
Connected to Dwarf Fortress!
Reading embark data...
Map loading complete.
Determining ramp directions...
Ramp processing complete.
Drawing z-level 0...
Drawing z-level 1...
Drawing z-level 2...
Drawing z-level 3...
Drawing z-level 4...
Drawing z-level 5...
Drawing z-level 6...
Drawing z-level 7...
Drawing z-level 8...
Drawing z-level 9...
Drawing z-level 10...
Drawing z-level 11...
Drawing z-level 12...
Drawing z-level 13...
Drawing z-level 14...
Drawing z-level 15...
Drawing z-level 16...
Drawing z-level 17...
Drawing z-level 18...
Drawing z-level 19...
Drawing z-level 20...
Drawing z-level 21...
Drawing z-level 22...
Drawing z-level 23...
Drawing z-level 24...
Drawing z-level 25...
Drawing z-level 26...
Drawing z-level 27...
Drawing z-level 28...
Drawing z-level 29...
Drawing z-level 30...
Drawing z-level 31...
Drawing z-level 32...
Drawing z-level 33...
Drawing z-level 34...
Drawing z-level 35...
Drawing z-level 36...
Drawing z-level 37...
Drawing z-level 38...
Drawing z-level 39...
Drawing z-level 40...
Drawing z-level 41...
Drawing z-level 42...
Drawing z-level 43...
Drawing z-level 44...
Drawing z-level 45...
Drawing z-level 46...
Drawing z-level 47...
Drawing z-level 48...
Drawing z-level 49...
Drawing z-level 50...
Drawing z-level 51...
Drawing z-level 52...
Drawing z-level 53...
Drawing z-level 54...
Drawing z-level 55...
Drawing z-level 56...
Drawing z-level 57...
Drawing z-level 58...
Drawing z-level 59...
Drawing z-level 60...
Drawing z-level 61...
Drawing z-level 62...
Drawing z-level 63...
Drawing z-level 64...
Drawing z-level 65...
Drawing z-level 66...
Drawing z-level 67...
Drawing z-level 68...
Drawing z-level 69...
Drawing z-level 70...
Drawing z-level 71...
Drawing z-level 72...
Drawing z-level 73...
Drawing z-level 74...
Drawing z-level 75...
Drawing z-level 76...
Drawing z-level 77...
Drawing z-level 78...
Drawing z-level 79...
Drawing z-level 80...
Drawing z-level 81...
Drawing z-level 82...
Drawing z-level 83...
Drawing z-level 84...
Drawing z-level 85...
Drawing z-level 86...
Drawing z-level 87...
Drawing z-level 88...
Drawing z-level 89...
Drawing z-level 90...
Drawing z-level 91...
Drawing z-level 92...
Drawing z-level 93...
Drawing z-level 94...
Drawing z-level 95...
Drawing z-level 96...
Drawing z-level 97...
Drawing z-level 98...
Drawing z-level 99...
Drawing z-level 100...
Drawing z-level 101...
Drawing z-level 102...
Drawing z-level 103...
Drawing z-level 104...
Drawing z-level 105...
Drawing z-level 106...
Drawing z-level 107...
Drawing z-level 108...
Drawing z-level 109...
Drawing z-level 110...
Drawing z-level 111...
Drawing z-level 112...
Drawing z-level 113...
Drawing z-level 114...
Drawing z-level 115...
Drawing z-level 116...
Drawing z-level 117...
Drawing z-level 118...
Drawing z-level 119...
Drawing z-level 120...
Drawing z-level 121...
Drawing z-level 122...
Drawing z-level 123...
Drawing z-level 124...
Drawing z-level 125...
Drawing z-level 126...
Drawing z-level 127...
Drawing z-level 128...
Drawing z-level 129...
Drawing z-level 130...
Drawing z-level 131...
Drawing z-level 132...
Drawing z-level 133...
Drawing z-level 134...
Drawing z-level 135...
Drawing z-level 136...
Drawing z-level 137...
Drawing z-level 138...
Drawing z-level 139...
Drawing z-level 140...
Drawing z-level 141...
Drawing z-level 142...
Drawing z-level 143...
Drawing z-level 144...
Drawing z-level 145...
Drawing z-level 146...
Drawing z-level 147...
Drawing z-level 148...
Drawing z-level 149...
Drawing z-level 150...
Drawing z-level 151...
Drawing z-level 152...
Drawing z-level 153...
Drawing z-level 154...
Drawing z-level 155...
Drawing z-level 156...
Drawing z-level 157...
Drawing z-level 158...
Drawing z-level 159...
Drawing z-level 160...
Drawing z-level 161...
Drawing z-level 162...
Drawing z-level 163...
Drawing z-level 164...
Texture: Rough.bmp: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with  hardware generate
d mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
Texture: Diorite.BMP: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with  hardware genera
ted mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
Texture: Slate.BMP: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with  hardware generate
Texture: marble.BMP: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with  hardware generat
ed mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
Texture: Microcline.BMP: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with  hardware gen
erated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
Texture: Raw_adamantine.BMP: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with  hardware
 generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
Texture: Slade.BMP: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with  hardware generate
Texture: constructed.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_A8R8G8B8,512x512x1) with  hardware
generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_A8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
Texture: Grass.BMP: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with  hardware generate
Can't assign material rough_magma to SubEntity of Ogre/MO19 because this Materia
l does not exist. Have you forgotten to define it in a .material script?
Texture: grass2.bmp: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with  hardware generat
ed mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
Creating resource group Impostors
Mesh: Loading fir05_30.mesh.
WARNING: fir05_30.mesh is an older format ([MeshSerializer_v1.40]); you should u
pgrade it as soon as possible using the OgreMeshUpgrade tool.
Texture: fir02.jpg: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with  hardware generate
Texture: fir01.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_A8R8G8B8,512x512x1) with  hardware genera
ted mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_A8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
Drawing trees...
Drawing water...
Texture: _cegui_ogre_0: Loading 1 faces(PF_A8B8G8R8,256x256x1) with 0 generated
mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_A8B8G8R8,256x256x1.
Texture: _cegui_ogre_1: Loading 1 faces(PF_A8B8G8R8,256x256x1) with 0 generated
mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_A8B8G8R8,256x256x1.
Can't assign material _NULL_ to SubEntity of SkyXMeshEnt because this Material d
oes not exist. Have you forgotten to define it in a .material script?
WARNING: material SkyX_Skydome_STARFIELD_LDR has no supportable Techniques and w
ill be blank. Explanation:
Pass 0: Vertex program SkyX_Skydome_VP cannot be used - not supported.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 53