Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: According to this, Finland really likes Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 6606 times)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: According to this, Finland really likes Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2010, 04:27:26 pm »

Yep, DF is pretty known in Finland. I've said it before, but a stranger actually interrupted a discussion I was having with a friend only to ask if we were talking of Dwarf Fortress. Which we were.

And on another occasion, after watching a movie with a group of six people, someone mentioned DF and it turned out every person knew the game from different sources.

Oh cool, Dwarfish actually has the words to write my last name. So, you can call me Eshimid from now on. And if we end up in the same fortress and get to first name terms, Lashëd is pretty close to that. Lashëd Eshimid.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 04:30:14 pm by LASD »

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2010, 05:16:55 pm »

Yep, DF is pretty known in Finland. I've said it before, but a stranger actually interrupted a discussion I was having with a friend only to ask if we were talking of Dwarf Fortress. Which we were.

And on another occasion, after watching a movie with a group of six people, someone mentioned DF and it turned out every person knew the game from different sources.
That's awesome.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2010, 05:38:00 pm »

Oh cool, Dwarfish actually has the words to write my last name. So, you can call me Eshimid from now on. And if we end up in the same fortress and get to first name terms, Lashëd is pretty close to that. Lashëd Eshimid.

I saw that and decided to try to make my own name. RŒthol  Estamost. It's just an approximation, but it was fun to find it.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2010, 08:56:41 am »

SUOMI FINLAND PERKELE!

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2010, 12:49:03 pm »

SUOMI FINLAND PERKELE!
That stopped being funny ages... Wait, are you British?
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2010, 01:43:23 pm »

I'm from Finland also.
I found Dwarf Fortress on the Mikrobitti microcomputer magazine's software CD last year, next to Nethack and ADOM which I had enjoyed.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

SRN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2010, 09:32:02 am »

I am in the Denmark category of Dwarf Fortress players but I have been to Finland about two times for festival purposes and I adore that country; especielly because of their alcohol and saunas. So yeah, guess that's the reason why I love this game so much.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2010, 11:48:41 am »

I am in the Denmark category of Dwarf Fortress players but I have been to Finland about two times for festival purposes and I adore that country; especielly because of their alcohol and saunas. So yeah, guess that's the reason why I love this game so much.

Finnish alcohol ain't that special. For example I'd rather enjoy most other lagers over the domestic ones we have here. Trust me, I've tried and tasted them. Maybe a bit too much even :(

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2010, 12:39:22 pm »

Finnish alcohol ain't that special. For example I'd rather enjoy most other lagers over the domestic ones we have here. Trust me, I've tried and tasted them. Maybe a bit too much even :(

I always thougth it was the about the amount, not the quality ;D
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2010, 01:34:31 pm »

We in Finland like our granite and woodcrafts. Beer and cider too and the Finnish variant of Vodka. Got hella lot forests and lakes.

I put the Finnish language into my DF, and you can have it too:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2921

I have dwarf names like Muuri TasapainoSauva, Veitsi MieliJäristys, Esine KultausKupari, Kaari DuuniPauke, Uurna KirkasVuori, Järistys Maa-autuus (miner), Valli PulmaHiili.
I've tested the language with site names, dwarf names, and goblin names.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2010, 05:16:31 am »

I always thougth it was the about the amount, not the quality ;D

Weelll... there's a certain threshold on the amount consumed before which quality does matter, but after it's passed, everything goes :)

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2010, 05:52:16 am »

We in Finland like our granite and woodcrafts. Beer and cider too and the Finnish variant of Vodka. Got hella lot forests and lakes.

I put the Finnish language into my DF, and you can have it too:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2921

I have dwarf names like Muuri TasapainoSauva, Veitsi MieliJäristys, Esine KultausKupari, Kaari DuuniPauke, Uurna KirkasVuori, Järistys Maa-autuus (miner), Valli PulmaHiili.
I've tested the language with site names, dwarf names, and goblin names.

I like this a lot. It seems a lot more Dwarfy to have Finnish Dwarfs!
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2010, 06:08:39 am »

Excellent, now I can bug a girl I know with this.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2010, 11:45:00 am »

I always end up with Irish dwarves. Gaelic twirly patterns everywhere. Perhaps I should make Dwarven Stout.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5