Poll

PULL THE LEVER? [Y/N]

Y
- 281 (87.8%)
N
- 39 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 319

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 189

Author Topic: FailCannon: No Rest for the Wicked (or anyone else) (Succession: Battlefailed 2)  (Read 897389 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: FailCannon: And then there were two (Succession: Battlefailed II)
« Reply #1620 on: August 14, 2011, 03:55:03 am »

As a matter of fact, that is a very concerning statement! So concerning that it is now our main concern! What the hell could possibly be more terrifying than an entire civilization of forgotten beasts separated by a single shabbily constructed patch of flooring?!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: August 14, 2011, 04:02:16 am »

We do indeed have FB's lurking in the Cavern lakes deep below and in the ocean nearby.  That's how lovely Dirku made its way in, in fact.  I sealed (Okay, to be specific Mormota II sealed) off that avenue of entrance for us.  I don't know for certain that the caverns are impermeable to the main fort - in fact they are probably not - but I have been keeping the dwarves occupied on the upper levels lately, and the pathing is so bloody complicated that even the beasts seem to be confused.

Sorry for the lack of an update.  It's been a lazy weekend after a long busy week.  You will receive an update tomorrow (later today, at this point) - and barring more crazy shit that takes slowing down and playing with enormous care - it should wrap up my turn.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: August 14, 2011, 05:13:56 am »

Sorry for the lack of an update.  It's been a lazy weekend after a long busy week.  You will receive an update tomorrow (later today, at this point) - and barring more crazy shit that takes slowing down and playing with enormous care - it should wrap up my turn.

You'd think people would've learned by now not to tempt fate when it comes to taking their turn in FailCannon.

Deamonpies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: August 14, 2011, 03:33:41 pm »

This truely is an epic fort,

Would never have imagined that one fort could survive so much, even after reading Battlefailed.

Congratulations to you all.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: August 14, 2011, 05:04:59 pm »

Floods, tantrum spirals, Forgotten Beasts, epidemics, loyalty cascades, near-extinction - now all we need to do is breach Hell and this fort will have survived everything. The demons will get so lost in Lower Failcannon they'll never pose a real threat to the upper levels, I'm sure.

If we do indeed have a civilisation of Forgotten Beasts under our feet, rest assured, it is not our main concern. Which might not be a good sign, coming to think of it.

Sigged.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: August 14, 2011, 05:33:17 pm »

Yay! I'm not sure if I'm supposed to thank it. I just won't. Remember kids: When in doubt, be a douchebag!
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: August 14, 2011, 05:38:51 pm »

A quick update before the real one (working on it right now)

I've re-purposed two old posts so as not to bump too heavily

- Current FB's in the vicinity of Failcannon
- Current dwarves risen to haunt the fortress.

Man, I would have expected either of those to be well over 5.  Looks like everything is coming in fives lately.

I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: August 14, 2011, 08:55:42 pm »

Man, I would have expected either of those to be well over 5.  Looks like everything is coming in fives lately.

You should see my fort.  There's a LOT of ghosts (many with unrecoverable corpses, and no WAY could i stop and carve memorials for them all).  And mass graves.  Guy i showed it to was honestly terrified of the place.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: August 14, 2011, 10:44:41 pm »

Journal of Catalyst, Elven Studies Major-turned-Overseer-turned-Pariah

No sooner had the fort begun to relax, and I had opened the wall to my tower in the interest of making some improvements outside, when the Goblins struck again. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I breathed a sigh of relief knowing, at least, the main gate was closed.  The other four should have been safe.  I mobilized my 'squad' consisting of myself, alone, which I have dubbed "The Noiseless Coal" - for I sit in darkness and silence providing warmth to the fortress - and made to repair my wall.  Mentally, I reached out to Mekboy and impressed upon him the idea that pulling a certain lever was much more important than any other tasks he might see at hand.  I now depart to see this through.  It may be my last entry - but I can rest at peace with the knowledge that, whether I succeed or fail, this will not be the final record of Failcannon.

-------

Astounding success!  The Pump had no trouble flooding the beach.  Though it did not drown the goblins, they were unable to approach the fortress against the buffeting waves of foul and frigid salt water.  And with winter upon us, I had no doubt they would leave us be soon enough.  Some of the trolls had more sense and climbed into the strange tower directly in front of the fortress.  We'll deal with those when we come to it, I suppose.

Meanwhile - ghosts come, ghosts go...

- more Forgotten Beasts stir in the caverns below...

- and a diplomat comes calling, thankfully seperated from the flood and the goblins by a wall.  I manage to open the gate for him and let him in.  I'm not sure any of the others have caught wind of his presence yet, however.  I conducted him into my chambers (suffering a near-miss, or near-hit as the case may be, with Mormota in the process) and discussed the needs of the Fortress.

The meeting went rather long, as I found myself rambling about the history of Failcannon (as I butchered a horse skeleton I had dragged in, and made a few crafts and a totem from its bones).  I think I may have scared the poor fellow.  In any case, I requested wood and various items of armor, some cheese, and trap components.  It is most likely the caravan will perish outside our gates like so many before, anyhow.  We may as well acquire the more expensive goods.  In the unlikely event that we find ourselves actually _trading_ with them, I have recorded the details of their desired trade goods as well.

After the long hard negotiations, I took a break to listen to the confused bickering of the soggy goblins. The others had begun resetting the Failpump and refilling the reservoir.  I had hoped we might trick the goblins into entering the empty floodchamber, seal the enterances and then refill, but it turns our goblins are not that stupid.  Pity. Their stymied anguish was nonetheless quite amusing.  Enough so that it was some time later I realized I had neglected to actually open the door so our trade liaison could leave.

Afterwards, I cursed myself for not requesting more swordfish bone items!  I decreed it was time to abadon my hopes of acquiring more, and be content with holding on to those we already have.  I swear, however, that the writ of arrest issued under my authority was an act of Led's manipulation, and not my own doing.

As the cold winter wore on, the soaked goblins departed, and I am left alone with my thoughts once more.  I find myself brooding on poor Urist.  It is clear that I cannot go on as the overseer of this fort in my current state.  I issue a few final orders, to engrave and erect memorial slabs for those dead we cannot bury, in the hopes of laying a few of the troublesome ghosts to rest, and make it known that there will be another mayorial election upon the arrival of the next wave of migrants.  I will not be running.

And now, I return to my training.  Someday I will either give my life in defense of this fortress, or, far less likely, I will be its immortal champion.  It is hardly the fate I had in mind when I came to Ungegugath, but it will serve.  If future generations of Dwarves are still here, in five years, in ten, in fifty, here in this fortress built on the blood, sweat, and vomit of countless generations, every child born, every migrant who arrives to a viable settlement and not a ruin, is a black eye to the Tyrant Queen.  If they say of me, "She lived out the rest of her life in Failcannon on the Plains of Ooze, by the Blueness of Malodors", I will take comfort in knowing, among all who have ever seen this place, that is known as the highest of achievements.

- Catalyst "Rimlured" Tiristlektad

---------------------------

May FailCannon live on another 20 years! (that's right - this turn marks 20 years on Aluonra).  I'm a little sad I didn't get to do much in the way of construction or other improvements or production, but that's obviously outweighed easily by the joy of surviving overwhelming odds.

My advice to the next overseer?  Learn what the levers do early on (the ones you'll need are mostly clustered in one room right below the courtyard, it turns out, and the others are scattered across the courtyard) and DO NOT LET CATALYST NEAR OTHER DWARVES.  Keep the gates closed except for migrants and trade caravans and close them immediately behind them.  Now's a poor time for risks - we need to keep dwarves alive and draw in a few migrants.

I'll cut my comments and suggestions short, and just say it's been a pleasure and a privilege.  I hope you have enjoyed my updates half as much as I have enjoyed making them.

FailCannon, Spring 536 - Save

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: August 15, 2011, 12:46:53 am »

To make the pump even more devastating  ;D, we should pump the ocean of slime into the real ocean!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: August 15, 2011, 02:07:38 am »

So who's alive at the moment?  Any new migrants?

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: August 15, 2011, 02:13:24 am »

Same as last time: Catalyst, Mormota, Urist, Dariush, and Mekboy.  Migrants usually arrive at some point in Spring, so the next player will have the honor of the next round of dorfing. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: August 15, 2011, 02:51:26 am »

I at least was very pleased to see some good updates.

I request that the next overseer ensure that the corpses of at least one of my dwarves is removed from their coffin and not buried, so I may haunt the fortress. Unless they're particularly dangerous ghosts... Just destroy all their coffins and forbid the corpses, then permit the least dangerous one to remain... It'll probably take a few years.

I pray that the fort survives just long enough for my turn to come up...
Katsuun! Go forth and revive this fortress, to a new glory!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: August 15, 2011, 03:23:38 am »

Same as last time: Catalyst, Mormota, Urist, Dariush, and Mekboy.  Migrants usually arrive at some point in Spring, so the next player will have the honor of the next round of dorfing.

Now I'm picturing That Aussie Dwarf huddling in a cave somewhere just outside Failcannon all winter, looking for an opportunity to slip back in.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: August 15, 2011, 05:13:18 am »

Why do I have a feeling Dariush will starve in the prison... Oh yeah, right, because this is FailCannon.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 189