Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 73

Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 114993 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2010, 09:05:45 pm »

But vigilantes don't kidnap, torture and dismember anyone related to a gang, even people guilty by association!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2010, 09:06:52 pm »

wow what 165 posts.

TheCrimsonKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2010, 09:09:43 pm »

Will there be some kind of benefit to picking severe penalties for failing to kill whoever, like better stats or something (Preferably something less artificial than stats, but it's just an example)? 

Also, can we not be crazy?  Can we just want to shoot some peeps?

You will have cooling off periods between each murder. Killing the correct victim will create one of these periods, though it will gradually raise as time passes, requiring you to kill again. If you don't, the psychological penalties will begin to apply and your character will begin to lose his mask of sanity, raising suspicion. They might automatically go on a killing spree in front of everyone, or call the cops and scream "I'VE BEEN KILLING PEOPLE!" down the phone. You won't have control when the some of the more extreme penalties kick in. Game over pretty much.
Killing the wrong victim will alter the cool off time in strange ways, requiring you to murder more people or commit specific crimes to regulate it again.

There will be options to disable these features, as well as mundane traits so you will be able to create "normal" characters or pretty much any type of personality you want.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2010, 09:11:23 pm »

Shit yes.

I am so going to make a normal dude.

THEN SHIT WILL HAPPEN
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2010, 09:13:50 pm »

Would you consider a potential "goal" to supress all your killing tendencies without getting caught?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2010, 09:14:19 pm »

This game may cross several lines. It'll be like the FATAL of roguelikes, except fun.

Have you read FATAL? Judging by that statement I am doubtful.

Yes. I actually own a copy of the PDF. The convoluted rules and racism and unnatural sexual themes are what make it terrible. This game will be like that, except without the three previously mentioned (although, technically racial preference would be a part of victim profiling - "Kills only white, blonde, blue eyed men", for example.)
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2010, 09:14:44 pm »

I leave for an hour and there's 6 more pages.....
Anyways ya, when this releases you are either gonna have alot of happy people sending you cookies, or alot of disappointed people sending you poison cookies, either way don't eat the cookies, the happy peoples ones are worse with all the gasms happening.

fake-edit, 4 new replies? Really?
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2010, 09:16:28 pm »

But vigilantes don't kidnap, torture and dismember anyone related to a gang, even people guilty by association!

Yes they do. Hense why a lot of cops don't like Vigilantes.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2010, 09:17:16 pm »

When Acanthus says vigilantes, he means "superheroes".
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

TheCrimsonKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2010, 09:17:45 pm »

A query, or perhaps several queries as my mind meanders.

You make mention of several instances where time is accelerated. Work, jail, I would presume travel as well.

My query, at least the initial one when I started this post, is this.

Will we be able to interrupt, or have interrupted, these automated and accelerated times? For example, could you, as either yourself as the player or the randomized formula's that make up your character's mind, decide that being an idiot and bringing your computer in for tech support is worthy of cerebral rearrangement, and rearrange said idiot's cortex right there with the very instrument he wished fixed?

Another query. Death Proof. I would presume it isn't in the plans for the initial distribution, but is vehicular vengeance planned? It is a fairly common trope that killers would run their prey off the road.

Thricely, job benefits. I imagine jobs would provide benefits, such as customer addresses and rentals at a movie store to cheaper supplies working at a home depot type store. Will that be in there.

Finally, Giant Cave Spiders. I'm not sure how, but it feels appropriate to have a choice to be one. They are, after all, dwarven serial killers.

Ninja edit. Eleven wild responses have appeared in the time to type this transcript.

Double ninja edit. Four more from previous one, in time it took to read the new eleven. Also, I see I missed something about former bosses.

Nope, you won't be able to interrupt accelerated time segments, though there will be random events and encounters for some of the sequences, like jail.

Nope, no vehicular murder and no traffic on the roads for awhile. You'll be walking everywhere until I come up with other travel options..

Job benefits, very good suggestion.

Sorry, I feel that the presence of overgrown arachnids will have a somewhat detrimental effect on the game. You can be a violent hobo who likes to drink blood though, that's just as good.

I would love to be able to leave messages in blood.

"Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside of me has become."

To those who get the reference. Your mind has been blown.

Noted and filed for future development.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:19:47 pm by TheCrimsonKing »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 23, 2010, 09:18:38 pm »

So what do I call the guy who I want to play as?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 23, 2010, 09:18:51 pm »

Sorry, I feel that the presence of overgrown arachnids will have a somewhat detrimental effect on the game. You can be a violent hobo who likes to drink blood though, that's just as good.

Yes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2010, 09:23:02 pm »

Judging by how fast this thread exploded, you got a winnar on your hands.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2010, 09:24:06 pm »

Also judging by it, it was a bad idea to release the video now, as it  caused too much hype to control.
Hello Hunam

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2010, 09:24:58 pm »

Judging by how fast this thread exploded, you got a winnar on your hands.
I wonder what all this says about us Bay12vers.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 73