Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 73

Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 115192 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #750 on: August 26, 2010, 12:47:56 am »

I won't be happy unless there is a method of murdering people that involves dropping their children in wells and sending them on a series of trials.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #751 on: August 26, 2010, 01:00:15 am »

They (many of the misinformed reviewers/commenters on sites) say these kind of games may not serve much a purpose; and could in fact, be nothing more than mayhem made for psychopaths that live for death and dismenberment (IE- "Slasher Film Fans"). And yes, there are plenty of them. Hell, what site doesn't have a commenter that mentions something along this line about any game with violence in it? It's mentioned almost non-stop. There's even a verbal pattern to them that can be identified at a glance. I don't even need to read them to know it's context. The walls of text usually are enough of a giveaway.

Here's at least a hypothetical situation I can answer with.

HYPOTHETICAL:
What if you're an agent of some sort (like FBI, SWAT, or something (least you'd expect to enjoy such games)) playing this kind of game in your time off; not for investigation purposes (to further a political agenda), but because it looked interesting, you're a fan of roguelikes, and are not a zealous pacifist (that vomits at the first sign of virtual blood; you know, conservatives that the media pays attention to)? You enjoy the game as much as you can learn random crap via simulation experience (like Gran Turismo, and learning a bit about cars by tweaking them in-game, and feeling the difference by even a minute alteration (best example I could come up with at the time)); and you also go through a series of thought processes and put yourself in the killer's mind. What better way to think like a killer, than to be one yourself (in a simulated world)? Okay, how did he do it and what are his intentions (IE- the many features to be implemented/further suggested)? (and so on)

Well, the additional recreational experience gained from playing a game like this could at least spark some imagination and further clue-seeking to the player/agent in his line of work, purely by wandering thought. I mean, I've realized some interesting things, or come up with some interesting concepts completely out of the blue due to a wandering/lingering though (not entirely related to topic); and some of them could actually be applied; though not all are practical, or in some cases legal.

I mean, my argument is simply (and classically), don't judge a frikkin' book (oh, sorry, "e-book") by it's cover (crap, I meant header/title).

FAKEEDIT:
That last part is for the kind of shmucks we all know are annoying as hell about stuff like that. I mean, paper, what's that? (IE- also the type of people that make those silly assumptions.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:26:25 am by Itnetlolor »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 26, 2010, 01:02:11 am »

Man, you are not trying to spin this potentially awesome game of mindless (or occasionally mindful) violence into... edutainment.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #753 on: August 26, 2010, 01:03:24 am »

Man, you are not trying to spin this potentially awesome game of mindless (or occasionally mindful) violence into... edutainment.
The argument is purely to shut up the annoying people that complain about simulated violence, and it's uselessness (already illustrated the type in the post).

It's a freaking stress reliever. Kinda like fireworks. Pointless fun, loud bang, relieve stress. Plus, it's in our nature to be violent. If it weren't, then we'd be herbivores. But even those things get pretty damn violent too. Example: Bulls (or similarly large creature). Do not piss those things off.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:10:53 am by Itnetlolor »

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 26, 2010, 01:50:42 am »

They (many of the misinformed reviewers/commenters on sites) say these kind of games may not serve much a purpose; and could in fact, be nothing more than mayhem made for psychopaths that live for death and dismenberment (IE- "Slasher Film Fans"). And yes, there are plenty of them. Hell, what site doesn't have a commenter that mentions something along this line about any game with violence in it? It's mentioned almost non-stop. There's even a verbal pattern to them that can be identified at a glance. I don't even need to read them to know it's context. The walls of text usually are enough of a giveaway.

Here's at least a hypothetical situation I can answer with.

HYPOTHETICAL:
What if you're an agent of some sort (like FBI, SWAT, or something (least you'd expect to enjoy such games)) playing this kind of game in your time off; not for investigation purposes (to further a political agenda), but because it looked interesting, you're a fan of roguelikes, and are not a zealous pacifist (that vomits at the first sign of virtual blood; you know, conservatives that the media pays attention to)? You enjoy the game as much as you can learn random crap via simulation experience (like Gran Turismo, and learning a bit about cars by tweaking them in-game, and feeling the difference by even a minute alteration (best example I could come up with at the time)); and you also go through a series of thought processes and put yourself in the killer's mind. What better way to think like a killer, than to be one yourself (in a simulated world)? Okay, how did he do it and what are his intentions (IE- the many features to be implemented/further suggested)? (and so on)

Well, the additional recreational experience gained from playing a game like this could at least spark some imagination and further clue-seeking to the player/agent in his line of work, purely by wandering thought. I mean, I've realized some interesting things, or come up with some interesting concepts completely out of the blue due to a wandering/lingering though (not entirely related to topic); and some of them could actually be applied; though not all are practical, or in some cases legal.

I mean, my argument is simply (and classically), don't judge a frikkin' book (oh, sorry, "e-book") by it's cover (crap, I meant header/title).

FAKEEDIT:
That last part is for the kind of shmucks we all know are annoying as hell about stuff like that. I mean, paper, what's that? (IE- also the type of people that make those silly assumptions.)

Uhm... well said...

To be honest, my philosophy is: Politics always need something to bitch about. They want to bitch about every little detail in anything violent. Besides, screw that, we've been IN violence since television was made. Look at all the cartoons that portray violence. Does it really matter anymore? It doesn't. The point of the story is, politics won't be satisfied until all television, movies, and games that contain violence are banned. Case closed.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 26, 2010, 01:51:32 am »

This is going to be awesome  :D

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 26, 2010, 01:59:37 am »

Uhm... well said...

To be honest, my philosophy is: Politics always need something to bitch about. They want to bitch about every little detail in anything violent. Besides, screw that, we've been IN violence since television was made. Look at all the cartoons that portray violence. Does it really matter anymore? It doesn't. The point of the story is, politics won't be satisfied until all television, movies, and games that contain violence are banned. Case closed.

Jesus, man, you just personified politics. You either win or lose a thousand internets, depending on how well you understand what you just did.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 26, 2010, 02:00:44 am »

I think he loses it, because he's using the term 'politics' to refer to the conservative right.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 26, 2010, 02:12:41 am »

I'm curious about this, I'mma gonna try it when it's released.

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 26, 2010, 02:33:03 am »

Uhm... well said...

Jesus, man, you just personified politics. You either win or lose a thousand internets, depending on how well you understand what you just did.

Because i've seen how they react on it all.

insectcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 26, 2010, 02:41:42 am »

Honestly, thought I love the concept, what attracts me the most is the idea of a sneaking roguelike. I have played thief-like characters in other roguelikes, but a game that seems dominated by it seems cool.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:43:20 am by insectcalm »

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 26, 2010, 02:47:35 am »

Honestly, thought I love the concept, what attracts me the most is the idea of a sneaking roguelike. I have played thief-like characters in other roguelikes, but a game that seems dominated by it seems cool.
You don't have to use stealth, you could always just shoot Urist McVictim through his window.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 26, 2010, 02:53:24 am »

You don't have to use stealth, you could always just shoot Urist McVictim through his window.
BANG

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 26, 2010, 03:09:04 am »

Once they're implemented, I think using other starting assets to balance out stats would be a nice way to go about it. Like, using the same points to buy character attributes and money and contacts. So you could make a Nietzschean superman who is the best at everything, but you'd start naked in a back alley like some kind of time traveler. If you wanted to get, say, a house in the suburbs, a day job, or the phone number of a drug dealer, you'd have to sacrifice some starting stats. Having the more debilitating mental disorders give extra points also sounds like a fine idea, and one that could be implemented without having to first add a real estate market, jobs and drug dealers.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 26, 2010, 05:12:23 am »

Mass murder makes me hhaaapppppyyy
Dead bodies make me hhaaapppppyyyy 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:14:35 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 73