Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 73

Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 115206 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #840 on: August 26, 2010, 06:04:06 pm »

I just want to be able to scare the shit out of police by leaving messages and riddles on the wall, and tapings of the victim's last few hours.

That'd be fun.

Of course, I'd cheat by playing a really smart guy to prevent any damning evidence being found...

Or what if I wanted my temporary hideout to be found, and the cops'll find a little... pyrotechnic present waiting for 'em?

That'd be cool.

Didn't Death Note do stuff like that already?

Death Note was more about psychological manipulation, no actual traps were set. Social engineering rather than actual literal engineering :P

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #841 on: August 26, 2010, 06:06:16 pm »

I just want to be able to scare the shit out of police by leaving messages and riddles on the wall, and tapings of the victim's last few hours.

That'd be fun.

Of course, I'd cheat by playing a really smart guy to prevent any damning evidence being found...

Or what if I wanted my temporary hideout to be found, and the cops'll find a little... pyrotechnic present waiting for 'em?

That'd be cool.

Death Note was more about psychological manipulation, no actual traps were set. Social engineering rather than actual literal engineering :P
However, there were some decent tricks done with tele-manipulation (the Death Note did manipulate people before their demise after all; Light tested the limits and possibilities with a few experiment kills). Now if you can use your charisma to pull that kind of stuff off in a more plausible manner like in Monster; we can get more interesting results. Geass be damned. This is how you get people to do your bidding.

EDIT:
A Johan character would be awesome to play in this. Ridiculous to mimic his methods, but awesome nonetheless. Heck, that could also be another flaw. Overcome by a greater evil that isn't nor is within you. IE- A (human) Monster in the flesh that you are doing deeds for either out of admiration or fear (Criminals doing the deed for a greater force (IE- Johan)). Then you have Johan himself; indirectly killing all sorts of people a majority of the time by inspiring other criminals to do his bidding and/or using his charisma to get close, and strike, then killing those same criminals a good time later when he's done with them.

Yeah, Monster would be awesome to use as a template. But we'll need a doctor that is on a constant chase to hunt you down if you're playing the Johan type. As for adding kids as murderers/murdered; well if you want to replicate 511 Kinderheim, go ahead.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 06:36:48 pm by Itnetlolor »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: August 26, 2010, 06:28:35 pm »

Oh my, I was away for 3 days so I missed this, very much want D:
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Azurestrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: August 26, 2010, 07:09:13 pm »

That'd be fun.

That'd be cool.

There WAS actually a trap like that, but it was never set off. It was an intricate trap, that if someone attempted to use the wrong key in a certain shelf that was holding the Death Note, the murder 'weapon' in the series, would be set on fire, destroying the evidence. An amusing thing to note though, is that it wouldn't have worked for destroying the evidence as the book couldn't be destroyed that way, at least from what I remember of the rules.

There were a lot of unnecessary info like that in Death Note, making it confusing at times. It really only became popular because it was easier to relate to by this generation. There has been at least one other series I can name that takes the same concept of a person attaining a super power and trying to change his environment on a large scale by killing people with that power, and that one was older than Death Note.

On that note, a Mod for a genuine Death Note for this game within the next decade or two would be marvelous.

---

Response to Itnetlolor:

Now imagine, with the features added in a later date, being like Runge or Tenma, chasing after the culprit. Imagine being Runge, and what he thought about the relationship between Tenma and Johan.

Do you remember that one scene where:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT:
Another extra note, how about that Magnificent Steiner from Monster? That'd be a neat feature.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: August 26, 2010, 07:10:41 pm »

Hmm... maybe I should lock the door from inside, hide somewhere and wait for the police to force their way in.  If I could just sneak out, that oughta confuse em...

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: August 26, 2010, 07:12:43 pm »

Lame Suggestion #451:

"A legal system along the line of LCS, with a chance to plea "not guilty by reason of insanity". The chance of you getting away with that plea depends on if you actually have that plausible psychological disorder connected to the crime (so if you have the Voice of God disorder, you can get away with murdering criminals and prositutes). However, the chance of succeeding should still be low, since the general public is likely crying for blood and believing that insane people are incapable of planning out horrific crimes. If you succeed in getting "not guilty by reason of insanity", you are allowed to roam free, but with some MAJOR penalties since the law knows you're crazy. "Having an armed parloe officer observing you at all times"-style penalties.

If you are convicted, the game's over for you, since it's unlikely a serial killer is going to ever escape from prison."
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: August 26, 2010, 07:23:45 pm »

Public opinion should certianly be considered. A jury would have far different thoughts in regards to a guy who sets criminals on fire but is plauged by visons of his victims anyway vs. a guy who breaks into random women's houses and takes their eyes after murdering them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: August 26, 2010, 07:25:36 pm »

I highly doubt a serial killer would be released even if they did prove he was innocent.  He'd probably be institutionalized, although an asylum escape and ensuing manhunt would be some intense gameplay.
Shoes...

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: August 26, 2010, 07:27:16 pm »

Like Hannibal without all the ridiculous mindfuck.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: August 26, 2010, 07:29:33 pm »

There could also be options to make it seems as if you're never there. Going in with gloves, stealing a weapon from the house and using it to kill the couple that lives there, placing the gun on either's hands, making it looks as if it was a murder suicide would be great as well. I'm also all for alternative killing methods and other ways to please your sick freak self as well, like some guy in somethingawful said, if its just "hit victim's X with Y", it'd get boring rather fast.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: August 26, 2010, 07:30:30 pm »

There could also be options to make it seems as if you're never there. Going in with gloves, stealing a weapon from the house and using it to kill the couple that lives there, placing the gun on either's hands, making it looks as if it was a murder suicide would be great as well. I'm also all for alternative killing methods and other ways to please your sick freak self as well, like some guy in somethingawful said, if its just "hit victim's X with Y", it'd get boring rather fast.

Rat poison, plastic bags, carbon monoxide, so on, so forth?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: August 26, 2010, 07:37:35 pm »

Indeed, and alternative methods to please your psyche that don't nescessarily involve killing, such as crippling the the victim and watch as it crawls around, kill family member in front of them, feed them parts of their own flesh, kidnapping, etc.

A backstory questionaire like LCS's one would be nice aswell. So you can be a batshit insane war vet that starts with combat related skills or a hypochondriac ex-psychiatrist that enjoys observing human behavior under torture.

EDIT: This actualy gave me a decent idea, your day job could also open opportunities for murder. Like a being a doctor and killing someone in your office, and using some annoying customer's neck as a pin cushion for the knives you're trying to sell him. Of course this would raise alot of suspicion and you'd be questioned.
A mini-game involving being questioned by the police, going through a lie-detector and such could also be included. You could be convincing enough to cease being a suspect or even frame someone for your wrongdoings, or fail at it and raise even more suspicion, depending on your stats and skills.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:44:06 pm by Dakk »
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: August 26, 2010, 07:43:29 pm »

I highly doubt a serial killer would be released even if they did prove he was innocent.  He'd probably be institutionalized, although an asylum escape and ensuing manhunt would be some intense gameplay.
Or better yet, your insanity grows worse and worse until you think you have escaped and are back to murdering.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: August 26, 2010, 08:25:58 pm »

Stop right there! Dont go off thinking up crazy stuff that might be in the game before even the first version is released.

For if you do, you will be disapointed for sure.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: August 26, 2010, 08:27:47 pm »

I'd like to create a virus to destroy all humans.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 73