Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509]

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 457399 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • graciously allowing others to like things I don't
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7620 on: November 26, 2021, 01:14:54 pm »

putting punctuation inside of quotes or outside adds information. If it's just "always put it on this end" then that's a missed opportunity, isn't it?
very talented, but did you need to add so many stab wounds?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7621 on: November 26, 2021, 01:36:21 pm »

But is it not the supposed rule that puts the comma allways inside that robs us from our freedom? I'll admit I never heard of it, but I'm basically picking among three convention sets, since I learned no same language throughout all my school career and onwards, so I'm not the person to ask.

I guess you could put it inside if you somehow found the cadence but not the rest of the sentence quoteworthy? If you want to point to more being left out, ellipsis (dot-dot-dot, had to look up ellipsis eventhough I overuse them imagine that :D) seems the obvious choice. I'm all for more "freeform" conventions, but like, the way I would read "blabla," makes it a super specific comma. Not that such a wordconstellation couldn't come up... But the question wether to put a space or more ("blabla,"|"blabla," |"blabla, " |) suffices to make it awkward.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: November 26, 2021, 02:32:33 pm »

putting punctuation inside of quotes or outside adds information. If it's just "always put it on this end" then that's a missed opportunity, isn't it?

Yeah, but like dragdeler says it's the rule that says "always put it inside the quote at the end of quotations" ;)

It gets even worse because if you interfix a "said X" in the middle of a sentence within commas, the "correct" way to do it is to put the comma inside the quotation marks at the end of the quote but then outside of the quotation marks at the end of the next sentence before the quote resumes (iirc), like: "I do like cookies," said scriver, "but I like buns too."
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: November 26, 2021, 11:19:35 pm »

Yeah, I agree with scriver.  That "proper" way is a misquote.  It doesn't exactly convey what was said.  It lies.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: November 28, 2021, 04:49:14 am »

Yeah, I agree with scriver.  That "proper" way is a misquote.  It doesn't exactly convey what was said.  It lies.

Agreed. Not sure about you specifically, but I'm used to thinking of quotes to indicate string literals in any given programming language. Quotes must only contain exactly what's in the quoted text, no more, no less. Else, you end up mangling the quote.

Also, if you're writing keyboard commands for people to perform, adding punctuation within quotes might not go so well. It's not a habit you want people to get into, even if that does only yield innocent syntax errors almost all the time. Worst example I can think of is accidentally waiting 10 instants (by pressing ".") in DF's Adventure Mode. For those not in the know, this is how you die in fights.

"I do like cookies," said scriver, "but I like buns too."

That's the correct way to do it?! I would've accepted either
"I do like cookies", said scriver, "but I like buns too."

or, though I'll warn this style may mangle the intended timing and tone,
"I do like cookies..." said scriver, "...but I like buns too."

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: December 03, 2021, 05:41:28 pm »

edit: barely a question and a stupid one at that.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 05:55:57 pm by dragdeler »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: December 04, 2021, 01:00:05 pm »

edit: barely a question and a stupid one at that.
Damn, now I want to hear THE QUESTION.  So my question is what was the question. But hey, no probs.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: December 04, 2021, 01:56:36 pm »

Wether I can justify in good conscience to get fastfood when there is food at home in a slightly eccentric rant. Sorry to underwhelm you  :D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: December 04, 2021, 01:59:11 pm »

Wether I can justify in good conscience to get fastfood when there is food at home in a slightly eccentric rant. Sorry to underwhelm you  :D
The answer, my good sir, is yes.
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509]