Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released  (Read 112544 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released
« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2010, 03:40:50 pm »

I have no idea what you people are going on about, but when I paste Baughn's code into the terminal, it runs fora  while before I get
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any help?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

smaerd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 17, 2010, 04:00:58 pm »

Adamantine is unminable in this version. 
Forum thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66315

Bug tracker:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3266

Just posting here to help others that are experiencing the same problem.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 17, 2010, 04:04:22 pm »

Slightly more on topic, does anybody know just how population growth is modeled in worldgen? It occurred to me that if everybody is constantly poppin out babies with only war as a way to slow down growth, then it makes sense that there is so much sprawl. IRL, medieval populations could only get so large before a bout of plague swept through or a famine or drought or something. Now that we have a way to gauge how much food a city has available to it, it seems like a more realistic population growth model would be next in line to limit expansion of civs and would lead directly to more wars as civs compete for fertile river valleys. You know, like in real life.

Of course, all this falls apart if that is already modeled and I just don't know about it, hence my question.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 17, 2010, 04:10:27 pm »

I have no idea what you people are going on about, but when I paste Baughn's code into the terminal, it runs fora  while before I get: 

Heh.  If you don't have the developer's tools (i.e. gcc) installed, you can't compile a newer version of gcc so that df will run.

If you don't know what "gcc" is, probably best to wait for Baughn to release a fix.

It's worth a shot. I've successfully compiled libgraphics with clang on linux before, which should be somewhat representative of Toady's coding style.

That would be ... pretty cool.  Especially if the performance optimizations I've seen elsewhere also held true with df. 

The main reason I bring up Xcode 4 in terms of clang is because I know Apple contributes code to clang/llvm but I have no idea of the status between what's in the llvm/clang codebase and anything Apple may or may not still have in the works.  Especially since Apple is touting the clang improvements coming with Xcode 4 which hasn't officially been released yet.  I'm sure if they are not already there, they would quickly get into the main clang tree though.

(Tell Toady I'll buy him a copy of Snow Leopard if he lets me download df for free. :) )
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 17, 2010, 05:10:26 pm »

Slightly more on topic, does anybody know just how population growth is modeled in worldgen? It occurred to me that if everybody is constantly poppin out babies with only war as a way to slow down growth, then it makes sense that there is so much sprawl. IRL, medieval populations could only get so large before a bout of plague swept through or a famine or drought or something. Now that we have a way to gauge how much food a city has available to it, it seems like a more realistic population growth model would be next in line to limit expansion of civs and would lead directly to more wars as civs compete for fertile river valleys. You know, like in real life.

Of course, all this falls apart if that is already modeled and I just don't know about it, hence my question.

Child Mortallity was also signifcantly higher (something around 50% iirc). DFs childs life to 100% to theyr adulthood if they arent wounded which goes even beyond the modern western average off 99.7% .  Also the mothers died more often on Child-birth.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 17, 2010, 05:34:35 pm »

I have no idea what you people are going on about, but when I paste Baughn's code into the terminal, it runs fora  while before I get: 

Heh.  If you don't have the developer's tools (i.e. gcc) installed, you can't compile a newer version of gcc so that df will run.

If you don't know what "gcc" is, probably best to wait for Baughn to release a fix.

It's worth a shot. I've successfully compiled libgraphics with clang on linux before, which should be somewhat representative of Toady's coding style.

That would be ... pretty cool.  Especially if the performance optimizations I've seen elsewhere also held true with df. 

The main reason I bring up Xcode 4 in terms of clang is because I know Apple contributes code to clang/llvm but I have no idea of the status between what's in the llvm/clang codebase and anything Apple may or may not still have in the works.  Especially since Apple is touting the clang improvements coming with Xcode 4 which hasn't officially been released yet.  I'm sure if they are not already there, they would quickly get into the main clang tree though.

(Tell Toady I'll buy him a copy of Snow Leopard if he lets me download df for free. :) )

Bah, I am not a patient man when it comes to my DF. I went to all the trouble to move my save file from the Windows partition, and now this indignity! Truly, no one suffers more in the universe than I.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 17, 2010, 07:03:48 pm »

Try "sudo apt-get install build-essential", then run my script again. (Or possibly build-essentials. Don't remember.)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 17, 2010, 07:36:04 pm »

Bah, I am not a patient man when it comes to my DF. I went to all the trouble to move my save file from the Windows partition, and now this indignity! Truly, no one suffers more in the universe than I.

Only if you are dedicated, fearless or truly desperate iDwarves, unspoiler.  Everyone else ignore this and wait for Baughn to work his magic and stick with .12 for now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 17, 2010, 07:57:44 pm »

Sigh. Point taken. And I never did bother to update to Snow Leopard... it came out about a month or so after I bought my Mac, and it didn't seem worth it.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 17, 2010, 08:24:41 pm »

Sigh. Point taken. And I never did bother to update to Snow Leopard... it came out about a month or so after I bought my Mac, and it didn't seem worth it.

We are Mac users.  We are used to indignity and suffering at the hands of the rest of the computing world.  :D

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 17, 2010, 10:27:56 pm »

We are Mac users.  We are used to indignity and suffering at the hands of the rest of the computing world.  :D

No, that would be people who own Acers.

Baughn, oh Baughn, where art thou? For is it in returning and rest that this code shall yet be saved? I wants me my Mac DF, as my Mac partition has all my music files.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 17, 2010, 10:46:18 pm »

Also, my work compy is a mac... I'd love to have it on there for break-time... >.>

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 17, 2010, 11:20:21 pm »

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib

same thing here. Toady apparently used an independently built gcc rather than the one that is part of the Mac dev tools.  It's looking for libstc++ library from its install directory. otool shows it will look for:

/usr/local/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib

from the gcc build location.  Easily solvable by putting the dylibs in with the archive and adjusting the search path but I wonder why Toady used a custom-built gcc in the first place.

Easily solvable? So how exactly do I do that?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2010, 02:27:02 am »

Easily solvable by Toady.

I'd do it, but I don't actually have a mac. >_>
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #224 on: September 18, 2010, 02:46:30 am »

/usr/local/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib

Do I need both of those or just the top one?

New Mac one up.  Hopefully that works.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 05:46:02 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22