Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1978 1979 [1980] 1981 1982 ... 10995

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13572671 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #29685 on: March 27, 2013, 05:33:15 pm »

Are you... a coder? I mean, that is pretty standard development terminology about shape intuition and pattern breakage detection.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #29686 on: March 27, 2013, 05:33:30 pm »

Quote from: Some random recruiter e-mail
Experience identifying code smells and utilizing refactoring techniques to reduce entropy in the code base.

Um...what the heck is this even asking about???

Code smells are patterns and practices that are not recommended under the vast majority of circumstances. If you identify a code smell: it is an indication, but not necessarily proof, that there is a weakness in the way the code was written that can cause issues with maintenance and continued development.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #29687 on: March 27, 2013, 05:38:21 pm »

I'm a database programmer, and that's not a phase that I've ever encountered before. Database programming has rather different standards and language than application programming, though.

Granted, it was a bit of a mis-aimed e-mail since they wanted embedded application programmers. But it was still an odd moment for me.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #29688 on: March 27, 2013, 05:48:57 pm »

I'm a database programmer, and that's not a phase that I've ever encountered before. Database programming has rather different standards and language than application programming, though.

Granted, it was a bit of a mis-aimed e-mail since they wanted embedded application programmers. But it was still an odd moment for me.

In that case, compare at as a system that is either really low or not even ratable on the normal form scale. It probably isn't a well written system.

And code smell is a fairly new term anyway, I don't think it was around much if at all before 2010.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #29689 on: March 27, 2013, 05:50:44 pm »

Got it. Thanks, guys!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29690 on: March 28, 2013, 04:27:13 am »

... apparently saltine crackers dipped in lemonade taste like fruit loops. Or at least the particular sorts of each that I've currently got access to.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29691 on: March 28, 2013, 07:33:25 am »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29692 on: March 28, 2013, 08:47:13 am »

Spoiler: They got Vector! D: (click to show/hide)

Those labs are so easy to spot, you just have to look out for people who buy unreasonable amounts of Maple syrup.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29693 on: March 28, 2013, 08:55:12 am »

Apparently someone's crashing the internet. Or at least slowing it down tremendously.

Link

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29694 on: March 28, 2013, 09:00:21 am »

Huh, really? Can't say I've noticed...
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #29695 on: March 28, 2013, 09:02:53 am »

Apparently someone's crashing the internet. Or at least slowing it down tremendously.

Link
Meh, Sven's being crazy again, hopefully this time he'll be kicked off the net for good. He's also been messing with the routing, hijacking spamhaus IPs.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29696 on: March 28, 2013, 09:20:48 am »

Link

Surely it wouldn't slow down servers outside of the ones being targeted, unless a programs being used that jumps to other servers listed on the main target? The internets distributed all over the place, not in any one single place.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #29697 on: March 28, 2013, 09:33:10 am »

The other users still use the same cables/routers/infrastructure, so it can affect them. It's also not a normal DDOS as they're using a bit more sophisticated attacks.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29698 on: March 28, 2013, 09:34:21 am »

Hey, if anyone can pull off a good DDoS, it'd be those in charge of spam. They have millions of drone computers to do their dirty work.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29699 on: March 28, 2013, 09:41:34 am »

Apparently it's a lie spread by the Anti DDOS software compagny. Slowdowns were limited to the Netherlands and some other places.

Surely it wouldn't slow down servers outside of the ones being targeted, unless a programs being used that jumps to other servers listed on the main target? The internets distributed all over the place, not in any one single place.
They were sending upwards of 300 Gbps, and standard anti DDOS defense is to redirect stuff to other servers. However, most internet backbones can take upwards of 2.5 tbps
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:45:59 am by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 1978 1979 [1980] 1981 1982 ... 10995