Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7813 7814 [7815] 7816 7817 ... 10993

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13514666 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117210 on: January 26, 2017, 03:28:03 am »

Oh, yeah, and biofuels are fucking stupid, by the way. At the moment most of them are literally just wasting carbon. Costs like a liter of oil to get 0.7 liters of equivalent energy biofuel.

Not all of them are.  Some of them are from material that otherwise would likely go to waste, like waste cooking oil.  Clearly, that isn't a large enough source to make much of a dent, but it's probably worth reclaiming on a small scale at least.  There's also cellulosic ethanol, with plants like switchgrass that aren't otherwise useful and require very little cultivation.  That's not yet practical on a large scale but certainly has potential.

I agree with you on most forms of this, though, especially corn ethanol.  Not only is that inefficient, it's literally burning food, and the alternate use of corn as a fuel source has raised prices of corn in Mexico and other countries to the point it has inadvertently exacerbated already existing food problems.  It's essentially a government subsidy to large corn companies like Archer Daniels Midland and Pioneer and the like, which already get entirely enough tax money.  It's one of the biggest boondoggles that routinely makes it into the usually boondoggle-filled Farm Bill in the U.S.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #117211 on: January 26, 2017, 04:51:22 am »

I found that lately, nearly every time I look at the news of Trump/Trump's administration/Republicans doing something, the theme of Sephiroth starts playing in my head.
._.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #117212 on: January 26, 2017, 04:51:43 am »

What happened to Shirly Shrekly Shkreli to cause this kind of rant?
Numerous pharmaceutical companies are using him as a high profile scapegoat to divert attention from the fact that they jack up their prices by ridiculous amounts all the time, too.

You do find it very hard to be sorry for the man that cornered the market for a niche life-saving drug and increased the price by several thousand percent. Even if he is being criticized by people doing the same.

Heck, maybe Trump is just treating the presidency like those involved in high-powered business treat PR. Fackin' Brillo pads.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #117213 on: January 26, 2017, 04:55:50 am »

So he's basically going "it's okay because the others are bad too"? Yeah no.

Also, do anyone else find  the use of "'member" instead of remember to be really annoying?
The use of 'Member' is a reference to South Park.

I felt like it was a reference to something, but I couldn't remember what. Reference or not it is still super annoying though. Particularly when used over and over and over again.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117214 on: January 26, 2017, 04:56:02 am »

I found that lately, nearly every time I look at the news of Trump/Trump's administration/Republicans doing something, the theme of Sephiroth starts playing in my head.

O Fortuna (from Carmina Burana) is better. The lyrics even apply!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:01:26 am by wierd »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117215 on: January 26, 2017, 05:16:05 am »

What happened to Shirly Shrekly Shkreli to cause this kind of rant?
Numerous pharmaceutical companies are using him as a high profile scapegoat to divert attention from the fact that they jack up their prices by ridiculous amounts all the time, too.

It is all such nasty business because it is so expensive that they pretty much HAVE to... There is seeming no alternative BUT to allow companies to be greedy bastards.

But at the same time there is such little regulation when it comes to the more... underhanded methods that lead to a bunch of super expensive medicines when far cheaper alternatives exist... sorry did I say "Alternatives" as in different medicines?

Sorry I mean super expensive medicines while THE EXACT SAME medication is being sold for cheaper.

A good example of this within the same parent company is Prozac.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #117216 on: January 26, 2017, 05:22:33 am »

It is all such nasty business because it is so expensive that they pretty much HAVE to... There is seeming no alternative BUT to allow companies to be greedy bastards.
But at the same time there is such little regulation when it comes to the more... underhanded methods that lead to a bunch of super expensive medicines when far cheaper alternatives exist... sorry did I say "Alternatives" as in different medicines?
Sorry I mean super expensive medicines while THE EXACT SAME medication is being sold for cheaper.
A good example of this within the same parent company is Prozac.
Sure they have to raise prices to cover for R&D costs but there's going too far and simply abusing exclusive production rights to gouge as much money off of patients as possible.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117217 on: January 26, 2017, 10:08:25 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wat
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #117218 on: January 26, 2017, 10:09:21 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wat
People don't think it be like it is, but it do.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #117219 on: January 26, 2017, 10:30:54 am »

* Thus he spake on CNN, the TV station of Zarathustrans.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117220 on: January 26, 2017, 11:06:12 am »

Dear me, there has been quite some disorder about Australia Day. Well, more than usual, it'd seem. I suppose it is a reasonable grievance, but still. Not even prime minister Joyce comes out of it with dignity. Well, what little of it he had. But then again, being held personally responsible for crimes commited centuries before you were born can rather chafe. That is a knotty question in and of itself, though. For, of course, an event that heralded an awful lot of misery on your people being remembered as a national holiday chafes as well, I'd imagine.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117221 on: January 26, 2017, 11:20:56 am »

Not even prime minister Joyce comes out of it with dignity.
I don't know, everything I've read of his statements on the subjects seems rather reasonable.
Honestly I barely knew who he was before, but now I have quite an impressive amount of respect for the man, considering he's a politician.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #117222 on: January 26, 2017, 12:00:45 pm »

After five or so years of long hair (about 18 inches long, I think) I got a buzz cut. Feels weird, meng. Good kind of weird, but weird nonetheless.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117223 on: January 26, 2017, 12:02:27 pm »

His objections are relatively reasonable, I'd say, but I think he expressed himself in a rather unworthy manner, for a prime minister. Loud and clear, certainly, but rather too much so. With that said, I am rather impressed that he did not sink together into a vague pile of sorries and excuses that tries to please every side without giving in for either, like a lot of politicians would do.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #117224 on: January 26, 2017, 12:09:15 pm »

After five or so years of long hair (about 18 inches long, I think) I got a buzz cut. Feels weird, meng. Good kind of weird, but weird nonetheless.
Funny, I'm doing the opposite right now. Kept my hair short for the past five years, sort of doing the opposite right now, though it's a bitch to clean and I don't think I'll be sticking with it for long.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 7813 7814 [7815] 7816 7817 ... 10993