Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Game of Life dwarfputing megaproject  (Read 71034 times)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Life dwarfputing megaproject
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2014, 05:39:47 am »

I'm going to bump this because I've been musing on how one would build Conway's Game of Life in Dwarf Fortress - only to discover it has been done! My god! What a thing of beauty! I would love to see this built with minecart logic systems, however!

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2014, 09:21:55 am »

A remarkable feat.

Minor point: sometimes you can cultivate sand by building constructions on Magma Flow at the bottom level, then removing them.  If there is more than one type of base rock down there sometimes you can even try twice, get both sand and clay.  Often you get neither though, so good luck. :)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2014, 11:50:58 am »

When i found that thread, i was torn between impressed and slightly bummed, since i had also thought about constructing a Game of Life machine. And funnily, while thinking about the options, i had struck upon the very concept Sphalerite used - "counting" the number of active neighbours by calibrating individually-powered circuits to shut down when the load from switched connected gears goes past a crucial threshold. There have been a few simple approximations, too - graphical displays that just go through simple Life patterns without actually running the algorithm. Sphalerite's Game of Life project is one of the great feats of dwarfputing in my book.

Since i didn't see much point in building practically the same thing again, i went and incorporated the gear-resistor concept into my binary multiplier. I've considered other concepts for the game of life, but the resistor is the most compact core of a life machine i can think of. Using a water counter would be the next best:

For each cell, have an array with eight tiles and eight pumps, a door in each tile. Each door is linked to a neighbouring cell: if that cell is "alive", the door's open, if it's "dead", the door's closed. Now pump water into the array, then shut it off. You'll have one full tile of water for each neighbouring living cell. Now you pump the water out of the cells, into a seven-tile "measuring channel" (requires a split set-up, because at least two pumps must pump into the same target tile); water in the measuring channel is now of the exact depth of the number of living neighbours the cell has. You only need to check for depths two and three, everything else results in a dead cell anyway, so you only need two measuring plates.

Obvious problems - if you end up with one-deep water in the channel, you need some extra work to "flush" it out - pumps won't pick it up, you have to add more water first. If the cell has eight neighbours, you'll end up with seven leftover units of water that'll stay in the lower array, because there'll be no space for them in the measuring channel.

The main problem would be that it'd be horrendously complicated to automate.

PS: no, wait: you'd use a measuring channel of _four_ tiles: if two neighbours are alive, water depth will be 3-4 (one plate measuring four would be enough), if three are alive, it'll be 5-6 (one plate measuring five); everything above would fill the array to capacity, with one living neighbour, it'd spread into 3x2 and 1x1, so only one unit would be left after pumping the water out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:52:15 pm by Larix »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2014, 12:42:10 pm »

Astonishing.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2014, 05:36:41 pm »

I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2014, 04:44:46 am »

I am so glad you did this  :D
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]