Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 204651 times)

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe if they removed the clone maps...  ::)
Do you mean the special weather maps or just new maps that look too much like some old ones? Because I'm under the impression I've seem quite a few that would fall under the latter and, well, yeah, doesn't make much sense keeping them.

Yeah, there's a lot of maps now. According to WG, there are too many, actually XD

I wouldn't mind them cutting 5-6 of the worst maps and then just working on the ones they have. One thing that I expect to hear news of this year is "HD" maps, which will be considerably harder if they keep the dozens and dozens of maps they have now. Will be really neat to see it happen, although they'll need to have the performance impact figured out beforehand - dat multithreading etc.
HD maps? Are those just hi-res textures and meshes or expanded maps for the fabled 30x30 mode that will be released some day?

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile

The winter maps, Fiery Salient, and probably a few others too. Pretty sure Ensk matches another map. Of course, winter maps could be on for Christmas or something.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just mean HD textures/terrain mesh/other in-map shaders and the like. I'd be super surprised if we saw 30v30+gigantic maps... basically ever. The game just isn't made for that, and I'm sure the engine and/or servers would start crying. Would be something different, though!

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile

The engine is pretty crap, as far as I've seen.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just mean HD textures/terrain mesh/other in-map shaders and the like. I'd be super surprised if we saw 30v30+gigantic maps... basically ever. The game just isn't made for that, and I'm sure the engine and/or servers would start crying. Would be something different, though!
Please don't say that. I still dream of them one day rolling WoT+WoA on a single package so I can soar up high dropping bombs on clueless tanks in glorious 64x64+ battles :-[

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

You already kinda have that in WT, plus it comes with a non-shit engine to boot.

Also the biggest issue I have with WoT atm is that it's become stale. No amount of new tanks (and let's face it, a good number of them have been clones lately, both in terms of gameplay and looks) or maps is going to change up the core formula of the game. Which gets stale and somewhat frustrating after a while (mostly because of idiots and RNG). The game needs new modes of play, I'm hoping the new domination thing proves interesting but  I have a feeling it'll go the way of historical battles.

In any case, whatever happens, I've had plenty of years of fun with WoT, and since AW is coming out soon there's a nice alternative to keep me busy.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You already kinda have that in WT, plus it comes with a non-shit engine to boot.
Oh, so WT is not just planes? Explains why I saw a tank in a screenshot by a friend. And they even have a native Linux client! I'm so downloading it right now.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile

War Thunder just has a god-awfully grindy progression system. But hey, it's not World of Warplanes and the EXTREMELY arcady gameplay you get there. I still have nightmares about matches in that game...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Warthunder's underlying concept is really cool, and the fact they actually do have combined arms all in the same matches is awesome. The engine is definitely much better.

Don't expect a refined tank experience though, the actual execution is a little sloppy. Warthunder planes are awesome if you're into that kinda thing and SO much better than WoWP, but I quickly found myself going back to WoT for tanks.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

My main gripe with WoT is that every line is littered with tanks that are purposefully irredeemably bad, that you are supposed to suffer through eternal grind to get passed, or pay up to skip.  And when you get a shiny not awful tank, prepare to grind even more just to get the stupid thing upgraded to a respectable non suck level.  80% of the gameplay is pointless grind.

I feel like I never will get to the gameplay and tanks I actually want to play.  No, gotta grind a billion games on the M3 Lee so I can grind a trillion games on a Sherman.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, the grind gets under your skin really fast. And the fact that it doesn't get any better in later tiers. I like WoT, but the liking doesn't base on any rational sensibility or game's inheritent good qualities. I hate the tiering, stupid grind, the mm, gold non-AP/HE ammo, stupid grind, awful armor/pen simulation, small maps, stupid grind, highlights and autoranging etc... Still, from time to time I am coming back to WoT for small amounts of !!FUN!!, I'd guess. Maybe, just maybe, it is the choir of frustration I sense in the force (and sometimes chat), in the rare match I angle my AMX38/Church/any hard nut and soak up 60% of enemy team shots as my team outflanks them. Or managing to make donuts around tank of two tiers higher and land the killing shot. Or those fine moments using SU-100 or T25 as aggressive flanker.

That said, WT is little more to my liking, even though I freely admit it has qualities that frustrate and annoy easily; simplistic and slow tank/"module" research, one-shot kills, airplanes (if you see americans in the air, get ready to die), sometimes silly or just bugged damage and pen system, godawful mm that mostly takes your highest garage BR and uses that as minimum point... But the maps, one-shot kills, no indicators (realistic and sim battles) and (mostly) effective-for-couple-tiers guns are, IMHO, pros that make it more for my daily game.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

That's only the case if you absolutely need to have top tier tanks. Which you really don't, the gameplay wasn't/isn't any better than on the lower tiers. The only reason you might want them is because a particular tank looks cool or something, which I guess is a pretty valid reason. In which case I can't really help you since the game was made to milk people like that.

Because the moment I stopped playing just to get the next tank was the moment I started having some fun.

I won't object to the shit tanks littering the tech trees, heck, even WG admits they're there to make people pay cash to skip them.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also in WoT you dont need to play a hundred battles in a high tier tank just to get fire extinguisher and/or APCR ammo available...

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also in WoT you dont need to play a hundred battles in a high tier tank just to get fire extinguisher and/or APCR ammo available...

True. On the other hand, in WT I don't feel that I _need_ APCR for most engagements, and APCR etc ammo that'd be gold on WoT have also downsides- overpenetration and lousy frangibility (is that even a word?) that lessen the chances of one-shots, crew incapacitation and fires. In WoT I tend to keep only one-two specials in racks since cost. I ain't paying real monies, I try to look other solutions.

That's only the case if you absolutely need to have top tier tanks. Which you really don't, the gameplay wasn't/isn't any better than on the lower tiers. The only reason you might want them is because a particular tank looks cool or something, which I guess is a pretty valid reason. In which case I can't really help you since the game was made to milk people like that.

Because the moment I stopped playing just to get the next tank was the moment I started having some fun.

I won't object to the shit tanks littering the tech trees, heck, even WG admits they're there to make people pay cash to skip them.

But I happen to be little OCD  :P Really, I just noticed that french have new mediums, so naturally I went back to H35 and started the excruciating march towards those few tanks there is. I do enjoy T5 +-1 matches, despite more than occasional overmatch, and frankly the tanks seem far more balanced there than say T7 in that they can damage their tier and +1 but must take care around tier less. T7 tanks have little to give in T9 matches, due to steep Hp, vision range and armor increases. Small maps and indicators make second-line manouvering an exercise in frustration, and the ever-present outragers spam the chat with stupidity for you daring to play smart. Just another day I dealt good deal of damage in KV2 in almost T8 match and got reported as bot for my effort, because I was second to last to die and supported what was supposed to be the main thrust. So, yeah, I oughta try and stay with KV1 then.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

True. On the other hand, in WT I don't feel that I _need_ APCR for most engagements,

You should have tried playing the second tiger before gaijin massively increased the penetration values on most tier 3 tanks.

Imagine having 132 penetration (point blank) against things like the IS-3.
And APCR for it is alllll the way down at tier 4 So you had to grind well over 30k experience with it while using ammo that had problems with penetrating mediums from the front nevermind heavies.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 251