Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp (Version 1.51 for DF 34.11, last update 07/01/2012)  (Read 105025 times)

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp (KC ver 1.14, for DF 31.18 last update 11/25)
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2011, 03:00:49 pm »

Kobold dehydration problems? Not drinking out of obvious rivers and/or brooks? Well, since this is game stopping for most, I decided to investigate that.

I have NO idea.

That is, I've tested this in a couple different worlds, and they both seem to fish and drink out of the brook/river in each world. The only time they didn't is the first attempt when the brook was frozen. So, without being able to replicate the problem myself, I can't really say what's wrong let alone how to fix it.

And oh yeah umbrage, now with the wood plant it's not too impossible to make a mega construction. Pretty sure the elves would NOT approve of the mass usage of wood for artificial means, but no one cares. As for the type, that's all for you to decide. The hanging tree though is pretty nice, though I'm sure they'd have quite the walk from their bedroom to get outside.

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2011, 03:32:08 pm »

I noticed in one of my vanilla games that the same thing was happening to the dwarves. Now, they're a bit pickier about what they'll drink at the best of times, but usually they'll stoop to drinking water before they shrivel up. I'm guessing it's a bug with something hardcoded.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2011, 04:34:34 pm »

I noticed in one of my vanilla games that the same thing was happening to the dwarves. Now, they're a bit pickier about what they'll drink at the best of times, but usually they'll stoop to drinking water before they shrivel up. I'm guessing it's a bug with something hardcoded.

Alright, that's good to hear. I wanted to make sure that as long as there was a problem, it wasn't something I caused. So, since it's out of my hands, I'll leave it at that.

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2011, 05:12:15 pm »

That's interesting.  When my kobolds were not drinking, there was some frozen water on the map.  It wasn't all frozen though.  Who knows.  I'll be sure to embark on a warmer biome next time.

Also, I can't get the music to work. 

DKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2011, 12:31:12 am »

Well I've decided that Kobolds make the best mothers. I have a mother named Chlafagreenkins who gave birth to quintuplets, is carrying them all around, presumably taking care of them, and not even slowed down from her duties as a woodcutter.

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2011, 05:02:56 pm »

Well I've decided that Kobolds make the best mothers. I have a mother named Chlafagreenkins who gave birth to quintuplets, is carrying them all around, presumably taking care of them, and not even slowed down from her duties as a woodcutter.

Maybe they're good mothers, but from what I've seen they are terrible fathers.  I got a siege recently, and the mother of 5 died, but all of her babies survived and were left out in the woods.  The father had 'no job' and was sitting around ecstatic while his children died of thirst.

On another note; it seems that kobolds will happily drink water from warm biomes.  I have made numerous embarks, and had no trouble.  However, each time I embark on a temperate biome that has any ice, they refuse to drink (even if some of the river unfrozen).

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2011, 05:44:53 pm »

The kobold mothers certainly are good at multitasking. Oddly it's usually not spread out among all kobold females, rather I just have a few that turn out to be baby making machines. No less than 6 babies in arm with a flock of pups following behind. I haven't seen it so much in 2010, but in 40d it always, always was from military kobolds who were legendary 'wrestlers.' In fact over time I had a special squad made for mothers since them going into combat would obliterate the next generation. But I ramble...

Yes, the water problem certainly seems to be something awry with DF as a whole rather than me screwing around with tags, so I'm not worrying about it too much and will just hope it'll be fixed soon for all those who enjoy freezing rivers.

As for sound, Catfish, I always had VOLUME:0 and SOUND:OFF, so I've no idea when it broke. In fact I was about ready to post that you need to change that stuff in init but to make sure I tested it myself, and indeed, it doesn't work for me either, so you're not the only one. However I've little idea why that is or how to fix it, but I'll test it with vanilla DF/older KC versions to see if I can't isolate the problem if not fix it.

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2011, 02:08:02 am »

Does anyone have non-.RAR Kobold Camp? I want to try it, but I don't have the software to change the .RAR file.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2011, 01:10:12 pm »

Does anyone have non-.RAR Kobold Camp? I want to try it, but I don't have the software to change the .RAR file.

Google up winRAR. Despite the option to buy it, you can download and use it for free.

EDIT: Thank you Fay you're right, I utterly forgot about 7z and how it is preferable.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:25:27 pm by Lagotrope »

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2011, 01:16:27 pm »

Or try 7z. They don't nag you for money every time you run the program.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2011, 03:41:18 pm »

Have you changed the amount of children bolds get compared to dwarves and their max age? It would be fun to play a fortress where everyone dies after 3 yeats or so.
I'm nor gonna play it anyway, I'm trying Genesis now. But I'm tempted :P

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2011, 02:52:36 pm »

Have you changed the amount of children bolds get compared to dwarves and their max age? It would be fun to play a fortress where everyone dies after 3 yeats or so.
I'm nor gonna play it anyway, I'm trying Genesis now. But I'm tempted :P

Indeed, the litter is 2-6, and they merely take 2 or 3 years from baby to adult.
I have noooo intention of making their lifespan only 3 years though, they live short enough as is it's almost depressing.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2011, 04:00:58 pm »

I've thought of this before... And only managed to come to a guess that Kobolds should probably live to about 20. I haven't tried it though, but in my current cavern/miniproject there are a lot of babies.
I think I might have to let the next forgotten beast run around for a bit first.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2011, 07:07:07 pm »

I've thought of this before... And only managed to come to a guess that Kobolds should probably live to about 20. I haven't tried it though, but in my current cavern/miniproject there are a lot of babies.
I think I might have to let the next forgotten beast run around for a bit first.

Yes, honestly, the idea of changing the life span never occurred to me till Dutch's post. I may bump it down, maybe not to 20, but honestly I don't often have any forts that last that long anyway so I don't know. If I live past the sieges, no surprise tantrum spirals annihilate me, then the steadily draining FPS does.

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2011, 07:39:38 pm »

WinRAR worked fine, thank you. Now to make my warrens! as many blind corners and such as I can fit so enemy bowmen can't do too much. Hammer-dwarves will be the issue.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26