Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp (Version 1.51 for DF 34.11, last update 07/01/2012)  (Read 105021 times)

Horizonblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp (KC ver 1.14, for DF 31.18 last update 11/25)
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2011, 03:02:15 am »

Bold Bump!
Also, what about kobold hurlers?  Just throw a barrage of crap at hand to keep the elves away?
Would be messy, but historical to watch.
When in doubt:  More Lever!

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2011, 05:55:14 pm »

Bold Bump!
Also, what about kobold hurlers?  Just throw a barrage of crap at hand to keep the elves away?
Would be messy, but historical to watch.

I'd love to be able to have throwing as kobold's repertoire of defense, and indeed throwing hammers wouldn't be 'fired' from throwing gloves if this were the case. Unfortunately throwing isn't something that DF's AI covers yet, so it's only mimics through a firing mechanism with a specific ammo assigned to it.

Believe me, I'd have done it by now if it were possible to make a soldier job that, upon seeing an enemy, grabs the nearest item and throw it. The elves would have an onslaught of tables, crafts, cats, barrels and other kobolds being thrown at them.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2011, 06:14:41 pm »

That is an awesome mental image, and it fits kobolds so well.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Verdian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2011, 02:05:44 am »

I think it would be great fun if a kobold's life span was short. 20 years or less, preferably. I'd like to see them live to around 7, 10 if they are lucky. It would change how you played the game a lot.

I would also like to request you start using Ironhand's graphic pack, because I think it has the most potential and looks very nice. It also seems to generally be at the cutting edge of all of the graphical update options.
ArkDelgato: Why is my house filled with vomit.
nahkh: Why ISN'T your house filled with vomit?!

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2011, 05:48:26 am »

I'm just finishing up my own variant of Kobold Camp, slightly simpler and (hopefully) closer to the way they are in vanilla DF.  Would you find it terribly insulting if I posted it in a thread?
Also known as Zuhayr.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2011, 05:51:36 am »

I'd actually like to see that. I tend to shy away from mods that tweak what seem to be the core concepts of the game too extensively.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2011, 08:11:04 pm »

I'm just finishing up my own variant of Kobold Camp, slightly simpler and (hopefully) closer to the way they are in vanilla DF.  Would you find it terribly insulting if I posted it in a thread?

Sure, when I think about it, I have implemented just about every concept thrown to me. As a result, it has become a far cry from the simpler days of 40d kobold camp.
In any case, KC in my eyes was always more an eye-of-the-beholder type mod rather than the work of a single person, so no, I'd actually like to see a variant KC to its own thread. Hell, I'll probably take a look at it myself.

I think it would be great fun if a kobold's life span was short. 20 years or less, preferably. I'd like to see them live to around 7, 10 if they are lucky. It would change how you played the game a lot.

I would also like to request you start using Ironhand's graphic pack, because I think it has the most potential and looks very nice. It also seems to generally be at the cutting edge of all of the graphical update options.

I've begun toying around with the last few ideas since it does seem like it'll be awhile before we see a 31.19, compared to how quickly the versions would come prior. So, there likely will be a new version soon. That being said, I will certainly reduce the maxage of a kobold, but if I were to go so extreme as a 7-10 lifespan, I would likely up the littersize, or more likely reduce the time it takes to grow up.
The most I think about it though, the more that actually having old age as a cause of death rather than it happening pretty much never is a nice little element I think.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2011, 08:15:21 pm »

The most I think about it though, the more that actually having old age as a cause of death rather than it happening pretty much never is a nice little element I think.
Actually, that seems quite reasonable. It also reduces your change of ledgendary axebolds.

Sure, when I think about it, I have implemented just about every concept thrown to me. As a result, it has become a far cry from the simpler days of 40d kobold camp.
In any case, KC in my eyes was always more an eye-of-the-beholder type mod rather than the work of a single person, so no, I'd actually like to see a variant KC to its own thread. Hell, I'll probably take a look at it myself.
Well, that sounds pretty cool, but, for clarity, could it have a slightly differing name? Kobold Cave perhaps? That way we can then tell between all the differing versions without having Kobold Camp X and Y version.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2011, 04:42:43 am »

Well, that sounds pretty cool, but, for clarity, could it have a slightly differing name? Kobold Cave perhaps? That way we can then tell between all the differing versions without having Kobold Camp X and Y version.

That's actually a good point. Another thought occurred to me (not a solution to that, mind you), Lofn, is I'm not sure how much development you plan on putting on yours in the future.

If it's something you continually add things to (which I doubt if it's simpler and more vanilla like), a new thread of yours may still be best.
However, if it's a standstill one-off that doesn't need a whole lot of discussion, I wouldn't mind splitting my first post up to give links and information to and of your version (with credit of course). I emphasize that I have no issues or offense taken with you if you start your own, but I figured I'd give you an option if you just wanted it to have a link in a thread rather than have it sit around on DFFD or wherever.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:44:31 am by Lagotrope »

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2011, 09:10:28 am »

You´re supposed to be able to strip the wood stalks from the wood processor, right? I dont get the option...
And the stalks themselves.. Are you supposed to get them from plant gathering? I just do not get the tree farming bit...
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

BunnyMind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2011, 07:10:38 pm »

Kobold wood making is currently broken.
First, the seeds aren't set as one of the default embark options and you can't choose them from the embark screen, so [ITEM:5:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:SEED] needs to be added somewhere in embark_profiles.txt as there appears to be no other way to obtain the seeds.
Second is that wood stalk plants are actually subterranean plants and kobolds don't have the [INDOOR_FARMING] token which means that even if you added that line to embark_profiles.txt you still wouldn't be able to get the seeds, so wood stalk plants either need to be made outdoor plants (which I believe can be done by simply changing [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER] in plant_kobold.txt to [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING] and removing [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:3]) or kobolds need to be given the [INDOOR_FARMING] token in their entry in entity.default.txt.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2011, 06:42:34 am »

You´re supposed to be able to strip the wood stalks from the wood processor, right? I dont get the option...
And the stalks themselves.. Are you supposed to get them from plant gathering? I just do not get the tree farming bit...

Kobold wood making is currently broken.
First, the seeds aren't set as one of the default embark options and you can't choose them from the embark screen, so [ITEM:5:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:SEED] needs to be added somewhere in embark_profiles.txt as there appears to be no other way to obtain the seeds.
Second is that wood stalk plants are actually subterranean plants and kobolds don't have the [INDOOR_FARMING] token which means that even if you added that line to embark_profiles.txt you still wouldn't be able to get the seeds, so wood stalk plants either need to be made outdoor plants (which I believe can be done by simply changing [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER] in plant_kobold.txt to [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING] and removing [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:3]) or kobolds need to be given the [INDOOR_FARMING] token in their entry in entity.default.txt.

Oddly, I seem to recall testing this and seeing it work. The more I think about it, the more false memory this seems to be. So, among other things I'll begin working on, I'll make sure to get this working. Thanks for the tips, Bunny.

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2011, 06:27:27 pm »

Did Lofn ever post his version anywhere? I'm interested to see what changes he made.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2011, 08:28:01 pm »

Did Lofn ever post his version anywhere? I'm interested to see what changes he made.

I don't think Lofn has, no. It'll get mention here when it does I imagine, if not by Lofn then by me.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2011, 12:47:02 am »

I'm currently trying to resolve some stubborn and rather unpleasant bugs, such as not being able to generate a world with a controllable civ in it.  I'll let you guys know if/when I fix it.
Also known as Zuhayr.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26