Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.18 Released  (Read 72631 times)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.18 Released
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 03:22:09 pm »

Does this work for Goblins too?

Toady,
My biggest question is: Can we expect dwarves and elves to get settelments any time soon ? Like before Christmas or by the end of the year ?
Provided you don't mind them being copies of human settlements, you can have them right now by modding entity_defaults.txt to CITY instead of TREE_CITY or CAVE_DETAILED.

Right now, I (a human) walked in on an elven town and they were treating me like a criminal so I obliged their perceptions: ignored all the wooden goods on display and went straight for the shop coffers and took all their (metal) coins - after killing the shopkeeper of course.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 03:43:53 pm »

W0000 go Toady!!!!!!
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 04:00:08 pm »

=D Awsome new release
Toady > Notch
I'm still curious about something though: I noticed that with aiming strikes, all that matters is where you strike, and not how you strike. Is this a bug, or a simple case of Not Yet Implemented?
Are you sure? In my experience, weapon skill makes strikes of a given difficulty more likely to succeed. So an adventurer with 'dabbling hammerdwarf' but 'great speardwarf' would be far more likely to succeed with a spear strike to the head than with a hammer strike to the head, even though both would be listed as 'difficult' (in an 'objective' sense - a piece of piano music might be easy to a professional concert pianist, but still be considered fairly difficult).

Maybe that's not what you meant... I do think it should be easier to stamp on someone's foot than to punch them there; I don't know how much more calculation that would require, though...

VPellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 04:30:40 pm »

Are you sure? In my experience, weapon skill makes strikes of a given difficulty more likely to succeed. So an adventurer with 'dabbling hammerdwarf' but 'great speardwarf' would be far more likely to succeed with a spear strike to the head than with a hammer strike to the head, even though both would be listed as 'difficult' (in an 'objective' sense - a piece of piano music might be easy to a professional concert pianist, but still be considered fairly difficult).

Here's what I'm referring to, specifically:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 04:36:18 pm »

I think the aiming is more of an indicator of how far away that part is or how close it is to their shield, as I typically seem to have most difficult shots blocked and dodged, rather than missed.

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 05:05:15 pm »

VPellen, despite it displaying like that, you are still more likely to hit with a weapon you have great skill with, than with a weapon you don't.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 05:06:54 pm »

All Glory to the (Hypno) Toad!
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 06:44:22 pm »

And I have seen, once or twice, my axe strikes showing 'easier strike' while my shield bash et al show 'normal strike'. It doesn't show up often. I'll screenshot it next time.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 07:57:30 pm »

Toady,
My biggest question is: Can we expect dwarves and elves to get settelments any time soon ? Like before Christmas or by the end of the year ?
Provided you don't mind them being copies of human settlements, you can have them right now by modding entity_defaults.txt to CITY instead of TREE_CITY or CAVE_DETAILED.

Right now, I (a human) walked in on an elven town and they were treating me like a criminal so I obliged their perceptions: ignored all the wooden goods on display and went straight for the shop coffers and took all their (metal) coins - after killing the shopkeeper of course.
Yes, and I've personally witnessed it work for kobolds too.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 08:08:40 pm »

Toady,

Yes, and I've personally witnessed it work for kobolds too.
With kobolds do you need to remove the local_banditry tag? I was of the impression that this made everyone hate you.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 08:48:31 pm »

New goal: get 20 followers and RAID GOBLIN TOWN  :D

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 09:22:14 pm »

this all sounds great just wish i could get it to work im running a macbook os 10.4.11 any news on when it should be working again? still keep up the good work toady sounds fantastic. :)
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 09:27:57 pm »

I was thinking the same thing. Anyone know if you kill all of the goblins in a town, does anything in legends really change? Like will that town be recorded as destroyed or something?

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 09:36:17 pm »

Down, down, to Goblin-Town
You go, my lad!
Ho-ho, my lad.

Mission Objective: rescue little brother from the goblin king.

this all sounds great just wish i could get it to work im running a macbook os 10.4.11 any news on when it should be working again? still keep up the good work toady sounds fantastic. :)

I quite agree. It's getting kind of depressing still playing 0.31.12 while everyone else gets to have fun with the new stuff.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 10:29:28 pm »

Ok, Mac users, I direct you to this http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/ It teaches you how to use WINE on Mac, it'll let you run the windows version of, well anything really, on a Mac.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12