Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 620825 times)

Necalli

• Bay Watcher
  • amusing ourselves to death
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #435 on: March 24, 2011, 10:06:32 am »

Adventurers seem to have a problem with chronic sleepwalking. I woke up on a ramp halfway up an almost sheer cliff once.

True. Not only that, but they can also teleport sleepwalk from the deepest cavern up to the surface.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 24, 2011, 10:11:14 am »

Why do the humans sometimes kick me out of their houses when I sleep? I asked for permission and they said yes, but when I woke up I was sleeping in the dirt.
"sleepwalking" aka teleportation

Can human doctors fix broken limbs/tissue?
no, not yet

Well I finally made it to the fortress, was drowsy so I decided to sleep. Where else would I wake up but behind the closed floodgates of my arena. The lever is on the other side of the doors.
teleportation

How do I get through closed floodgates? Sleeping isn't working, despite sleeping being the method that got me behind the doors in the first place.
can't teleport back, it's a oneway trip  :-\

How do I open hatchcovers? Or does swimming prevent you from being capable of doing this?
err it does prevent you until you become a very good swimmer (at least adequate)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 07, 2011, 06:31:01 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:15:37 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 07, 2011, 09:54:36 am »

It just causes pain I think, it may increase bloodloss as well
*Hugs*

EZSPECIAL

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 07, 2011, 01:46:10 pm »

What's the best armor to wear? Reading through the wiki suggested Bronze was better against most weapons.

And when is the adventurer fully equiped? I have greaves, gauntlets, boots, plate, helm but I'm still able to fit a Mail Shirt trough a Breastplate so I might be missing another piece of equipment

Edit: When people say butcher animals for money are they talking about small animals? If no where do I find animals? I downloaded an archive version of Phoebus DF so maybe I'm missing out on features (Version .21)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 01:48:06 pm by EZSPECIAL »

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 07, 2011, 04:39:51 pm »

All the "Ctrl-s,l,r,p" stuff is just the controls for macros.

It just causes pain I think, it may increase bloodloss as well

It causes pain, but not nearly as much as it used to.

What's the best armor to wear? Reading through the wiki suggested Bronze was better against most weapons.

And when is the adventurer fully equiped? I have greaves, gauntlets, boots, plate, helm but I'm still able to fit a Mail Shirt trough a Breastplate so I might be missing another piece of equipment

Edit: When people say butcher animals for money are they talking about small animals? If no where do I find animals? I downloaded an archive version of Phoebus DF so maybe I'm missing out on features (Version .21)

The best armor is steel and adamantine, but you can only get them by making them in fortress mode or for steel from dwarf ambushers, and it will only fit dwarves, elves, and goblins.

There are a lot of ways to be "fully" equipped, often with several articles of clothing on the same bodypart, but the wiki states the best coverage is 1 helm, 2 caps, 6 hoods, a breastplate, 3 mail shirts, 6 cloaks, 3 long skirts, 1 set of greaves, a pair of gauntlets, a pair of mittens, a pair of chausses, and a pair of high boots.

You can butcher any non-sentient creature and sell their organs, though keep in mind the bones aren't worth anything.
Animals are just around in the wild like anything else. How many depends on where you are and world-gen settings.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 04:41:34 pm by Knigel »

Ig88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 07, 2011, 10:09:42 pm »

Why is it that I sometimes come across forts that are occupied only by hostile naked human wrestlers?
Is it a bug when you are in a fort but the game decides to spawn boogeymen and slaughter the soldiers there in their sleep?
Maces, or flails?
Pikes, or spears?

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 08, 2011, 02:11:55 am »

If you sleep inside the fort walls but not inside the keep (room with the lord) then you can still get attacked by bogeymen or other things.

Not sure what's up with the naked wrestlers. Maybe they're greek? If they're hostile though then they must either be bandits or members of some civilization that you've pissed off.

EZSPECIAL

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 08, 2011, 04:33:59 am »

Do Shopkeepers ever know about the special item you ask them about? I asked for the Spear of Fame and nobody knows about it, is it a future update?

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 08, 2011, 05:00:24 am »

That's not an item, it's a name of a government or some other group. You'll see people other than shopkeepers with options to ask them about random-sounding names like that, but I have yet to find a single one who says anything other than "I don't know much about it...."

I think they're supposed to just tell you some stuff about who the leader of the group is, who they are affiliated with, or somesuch but this feature seems to be unimplemented. It may be related to the economy or something else that is planned but not implemented.

Basically there are no special items or artifacts in the game unless you create a fort and your dwarves create them, and in that case you can only get to them with an adventurer after abandoning the fort at which point the items will be scattered to random places around the fortress map. (Assuming no hacks like runesmith, dfusion, dflair, etc.)

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 11, 2011, 10:18:27 am »

New Question:

What happened:
During adventure mode, my favorite sword got stuck in a lasher. He then "pulls [it] out and releases it". So I immediately went to my inventory and pulled out my back up sword. Same damn thing happened. So then backed up a few steps to look for another weapon, but the Lasher died of blood loss.I went to the corpse to retrieve the swords that I believed had been pulled out and dropped on the ground, but both swords were nowhere on the ground. I eventually saw in my inventory screen that both swords were currently in my right hand.

tl;dr: Is this a bug about teleporting weapons, or did the Lasher pull the sword out but leave it in my possesion?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 11, 2011, 11:33:13 am »

@EZSPECIAL: The "Special Item" is actually the name of the shop. It's probably going to be used sometime in the future when shops are less generic.

@Coaldiamond: The only time you won't still have a weapon after getting it stuck in someone is if you try to retrieve it and get the message "You lose possession of the weapon" or if you drop it (Funny story, I was trying to run from a colossus but he grabbed my sword. I let go of it to escape but he killed me anyway. Now there's a sword wielding colossus running around). In fact, the message even specifies that the lasher releases the sword.

Anyway, on to my question. I am playing Genesis mod right now and I went to a Dusk elf fortress to get some quests. A soldier I talked to started rattling off Nagas and Lizardfolk saying, "Sometimes animals just get out of control" or something like that. I look at the journal and find out that it is pointing to a town right next to the fort. The town is full of Dusk elves and Nagas living peacefully with each other. The quest log is pointing to a 3x3 square right in the center of the town's market. Is this a normal occurrence? Is it possible for an entity to give you a quest to kill its own citizens/assimilated enemies? What should I do?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 11, 2011, 01:41:00 pm »

@EZSPECIAL: The "Special Item" is actually the name of the shop. It's probably going to be used sometime in the future when shops are less generic.

@Coaldiamond: The only time you won't still have a weapon after getting it stuck in someone is if you try to retrieve it and get the message "You lose possession of the weapon" or if you drop it (Funny story, I was trying to run from a colossus but he grabbed my sword. I let go of it to escape but he killed me anyway. Now there's a sword wielding colossus running around). In fact, the message even specifies that the lasher releases the sword.

Anyway, on to my question. I am playing Genesis mod right now and I went to a Dusk elf fortress to get some quests. A soldier I talked to started rattling off Nagas and Lizardfolk saying, "Sometimes animals just get out of control" or something like that. I look at the journal and find out that it is pointing to a town right next to the fort. The town is full of Dusk elves and Nagas living peacefully with each other. The quest log is pointing to a 3x3 square right in the center of the town's market. Is this a normal occurrence? Is it possible for an entity to give you a quest to kill its own citizens/assimilated enemies? What should I do?

Yes, it is possible, and for additional FUN citizens sometimes ask you to go kill their civ leader.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 11, 2011, 01:49:00 pm »

Is it normal to find a goblin getting the living hell beaten outta him in a house?
I recently saw a trapper murdering some poor wrestler after I killed an outlaw and wanted to report the news.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 11, 2011, 03:12:47 pm »

Yes, it is possible, and for additional FUN citizens sometimes ask you to go kill their civ leader.

Will the civ still turn against me if I kill the targets?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 327