Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621910 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #930 on: October 05, 2012, 11:41:15 pm »

As of the current version, can you still visit your forts?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: October 06, 2012, 12:33:42 am »

Yes. Yes, you can, and you can visit the abominations that settled down there in the meantime.

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: October 06, 2012, 02:41:38 pm »

Is it possible to travel to other islands?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: October 06, 2012, 02:46:03 pm »

Is it possible to travel to other islands?

Not through fast travel, but you could conceivably swim there. HOWEVER; do not try to cross an ocean in a temperate or freezing area. Horrible things happen when the ocean freezes overnight, as well as some ice-related bugs that can have you being viciously attacked by massive walls of ice. So stick to the tropics.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: October 06, 2012, 03:15:04 pm »

Thrall clouds how do I find them three adventures found it now for the rest of them the clouds will not appear :/

Nyotor Lizardhammers

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 06, 2012, 07:58:02 pm »

copper greaves or iron leggings?
Which is better?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 08:07:06 pm by Nyotor Lizardhammers »
Nyo Ho Ho!

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: October 06, 2012, 08:22:54 pm »

I found an above ground cavern entrance, yet... I can't find where to enter!

Nyotor Lizardhammers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: October 06, 2012, 08:31:30 pm »

I think those have uniform shapes. I couldn't figure them out either. The one I found like that turned out to be a kobold settlement
Nyo Ho Ho!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: October 06, 2012, 10:14:31 pm »

Thrall clouds how do I find them three adventures found it now for the rest of them the clouds will not appear :/

I don't have any experience in cloud hunting, but of what I've heard there is no good strategy besides hang around for extended periods within an evil biome until you've encountered everything it has to offer. A lot of savescumming may be necessary when you run into deadly clouds or rains that don't necessarily cause huskification, but instead simply kill you. If you don't find anything in one biome, move to the next, and keep it up.

copper greaves or iron leggings?
Which is better?

Iron is much better in terms of armor than copper. Copper is a very soft, malleable material. Great for intricate components or wires, but terrible for anything that involves a lot of stress, like being hammered on or sheared with a sword. It is fairly dense, so works as a decent substitute for silver blunt weapons like hammers or maces. Iron and bronze are roughly equivalent as both armor and weaponry. Steel is effectively the best available armor in adventure mode (but only available in dwarf-size (which includes elves and goblins) and very, very rare), as well as the best available material for edged weapons like swords or spears.

Also, pickaxes kick asses, pretty much regardless of material. If they can't penetrate, the attack just gets converted to a blunt attack, and it's very effective in that respect as well. They use mining skill, though, which you'll just have to train into after beginning your adventures unless you want to mod the entity file (which requires a regen for a new world) and add [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK] to the entity definitions below where it says [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]. Then your miners will also be able to use a pickaxe when enlisted, I believe without any extra micromanagement. They still drop the weapon they use in their mining duties and replace it for a different one for military duty, though, which is a pain in the ass.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's probably somewhere on the slope. Those mounds are a few levels high, and the actual entrance can be really hard to spot, but it almost always is there.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

funeymonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 06, 2012, 11:25:58 pm »

can anyone tell me which weapon is better, a bronze great axe or a silver battle axe

Nyotor Lizardhammers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: October 07, 2012, 12:02:11 am »

can anyone tell me which weapon is better, a bronze great axe or a silver battle axe
Bronze axe, most definitely

The reason for my question was that greaves have a better armor rating then leggings, hence wondering if that makes up for the inferior material.
Nyo Ho Ho!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: October 07, 2012, 12:31:12 am »

Material is the primary concern with armor. If your options are an iron legging or bronze greaves, the greaves are most likely the better choice, but just about anything will pierce copper.

---------------

In a match between 2 humans, both wearing the typical AI militia uniform of an iron breastplate, helm, and shield, with competent axe user, fighter, and shield user skills, and the only variable being one team has silver battleaxes and the other bronze great axes, the battleaxes win most of the time. This is a sample size of about 12 fights, though, with 1 initial fight being won by a great axe user who then escaped her cell and beat the crap out of another opposing team member after her fight, before being taken down by a third. That was the only victory, but this isn't particularly well-planned experimentation here.

I always thought my silver battleaxe adventurers kicked a lot of ass. Most opponents are lightly armored, anyway, so the fact the silver can't penetrate any decent armor materials rarely actually matters and it's weight obviously improves it's blunt options significantly. A breastplate and helm are about all AI military members will wear on a regular basis, and those only protect the torso and head. Anything else is fair game, if you can get around their shield. Looking at the combat logs, this is exactly how they're killing each-other. The silver battleaxe users have a greater average speed than the great axe users, probably because a great axe is so damn GREAT, and that's probably the big advantage.
I make Spellcrafts!

funeymonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: October 07, 2012, 12:38:23 am »

thanks guys. also one more question, what about shields? bronze or iron? i already have a bunch if irons stacked and if bronze is better ill start swapping the iron for it

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: October 07, 2012, 01:06:48 am »

i think for shields its all the same. which humorously enough makes wooden some of the best because of low weight.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: October 07, 2012, 01:12:03 am »

i think for shields its all the same. which humorously enough makes wooden some of the best because of low weight.
What
 :o

I have to seek out elves and get their shields now.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 327