Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621804 times)

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1485 on: August 07, 2013, 12:37:08 pm »

what material is the strongest between ironbone, copper, steel and gold for a blocking bracer....seem to have had a run on them and dont know which one to equip and is there a way to find out the strengths of certain materials etc.. cheers peeps...:]....RED
Since it's a shield (and I know it is), whichever is the lightest. (So probably ironbone)

Otherwise steel armor would be the best of those four.
Heavier shield deals more damage, more or less.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

redmenace.uk

• Bay Watcher
  • "Brew cornish rattler"...... "A party has begun"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: August 07, 2013, 12:44:58 pm »

Thanks guys, as always an adamantine encrusted fountain of knowledge... ;D....RED
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:52:51 pm by redmenace.uk »
The Minotaur hacks Redmenace in the head with his copper battle axe, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!
Redmenace walks it off!...............;]

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: August 07, 2013, 07:19:10 pm »

I'm not sure if this is a 'little question' but I'll ask here anyway. I'm having trouble armouring my elven adventurer. I have looted a huge number of the rooms beneath human keeps and found a single bronze breastplate, and an +iron spear+. If I were a human, I'd be awash in +iron armour+ of every piece, but none of it fits! I've tried killing goblins and kobolds and the occasional evil elve, but they only wear cloth.

Where do I reliably find some armour? Should I just make a fort and manufacture some armour and be done with it?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: August 07, 2013, 07:37:51 pm »

That is reliable.  The way I typically find armour is by looting the dead.  In a camp or sewer usually.  But you can buy it or steal it.  Forts often have armour inside free for the taking.  Smaller armour is harder to come by, but not terribly hard to loot.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: August 07, 2013, 08:15:49 pm »

That is reliable.  The way I typically find armour is by looting the dead.  In a camp or sewer usually.  But you can buy it or steal it.  Forts often have armour inside free for the taking.  Smaller armour is harder to come by, but not terribly hard to loot.

Large armour is easy to come by, I agree. I've got 22 kills on my elf hero so far, 19 of these are goblins and not a single one was wearing more than leather. Perhaps the goblins of my world just don't know blacksmithing?

Perhaps I'll build a fort then :). Thanks!

[edit] I'm quite new to adventure mode. Do I just retire my hero, then build and abandon the fort, then resume play on the hero and visit the fort? Does this have any negative consequences for the hero? [/edit]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:17:55 pm by Russell.s »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: August 07, 2013, 08:56:23 pm »

I'm quite new to adventure mode. Do I just retire my hero, then build and abandon the fort, then resume play on the hero and visit the fort?

Yea, it's about as simple as that. Make yourself a fort, preferably near the town you retired your adventurer at, then make all the equipment you want, and maybe some extra for future size-impaired adventurers.

Does this have any negative consequences for the hero?

At the moment, no. All of history stops after world-gen (though this will change in the next release), so nothing will happen to your adventurer in the time between retiring and un-retiring, aside from him aging normally. Though elves are immortal, so he's unlikely to die of old age.

The only negative consequences I can see would be if there were any dangerous beasts roaming the fort upon abandon, and possible frame-rate loss upon entering the area, due to all of the fort's items being randomly scattered upon abandoning. Though scattering can be prevented by using DFHack's lair command.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: August 07, 2013, 10:33:17 pm »

...Make yourself a fort, preferably near the town you retired your adventurer at, then make all the equipment you want, and maybe some extra for future size-impaired adventurers.

Thanks! I'll get on to it as soon as I've done all my study :'(. Here's hoping for an artifact steel spear, or platinum warhammer, or something nifty!

At the moment, no. All of history stops after world-gen (though this will change in the next release), so nothing will happen to your adventurer in the time between retiring and un-retiring, aside from him aging normally. Though elves are immortal, so he's unlikely to die of old age.

The only negative consequences I can see would be if there were any dangerous beasts roaming the fort upon abandon, and possible frame-rate loss upon entering the area, due to all of the fort's items being randomly scattered upon abandoning. Though scattering can be prevented by using DFHack's lair command.

Lair command it is then. I don't really like the area I'm currently in, or I would make an adventurer trophy room/retirement home while I was at it.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: August 11, 2013, 01:38:34 pm »

how do you level up swimming? i jumped in the river it said i was "swimming" but no it doesn't level up?!
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: August 11, 2013, 02:42:35 pm »

how do you level up swimming? i jumped in the river it said i was "swimming" but no it doesn't level up?!

You only gain swimming experience for moving around in water. 1xp for every "step" you take in water; just floating in one spot won't raise it, even if you use the wait key. At least, from what I have observed anyways.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: August 11, 2013, 02:49:33 pm »

You only gain swimming experience for moving around in water. 1xp for every "step" you take in water; just floating in one spot won't raise it, even if you use the wait key. At least, from what I have observed anyways.

I dont even get the 1 xp from moving around :/
Just shows as 0/700, will not rise. I've gone from one side to the other through the river (not one of those fords where u can just run across, one where you have to "jump in" use alt + move.
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: August 11, 2013, 03:36:10 pm »

Just shows as 0/700, will not rise. I've gone from one side to the other through the river (not one of those fords where u can just run across, one where you have to "jump in" use alt + move.
Are you playing a race with [swims_innate]? Because those can't raise their Swimmer skill, like Mermen for example.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: August 11, 2013, 03:51:31 pm »

Are you playing a race with [swims_innate]? Because those can't raise their Swimmer skill, like Mermen for example.

dwarf on masterwork mod.
So not really sure why it isn't going up :(

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: August 11, 2013, 05:51:29 pm »

dwarf on masterwork mod.

I just checked MW's dwarf raws, and dwarves have both [SWIMS_LEARNED] and [SWIMS_INNATE], oddly enough.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: August 11, 2013, 06:54:10 pm »

dwarf on masterwork mod.

I just checked MW's dwarf raws, and dwarves have both [SWIMS_LEARNED] and [SWIMS_INNATE], oddly enough.

well, at least we know why it's not going up!

thanks! :)

Gallahan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: September 22, 2013, 02:52:29 pm »

Hey guys, just wondering what this meant:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is her cousin dead? Usually NPCs don't have a problem reporting the death of their family members.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 327