Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 622036 times)

Brutalanusmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1605 on: December 05, 2013, 12:56:44 am »

Could someone tell me me how to spend skill and attribute points? I'am new to adventure mode and am obviously doing something wrong. Example, when I got in a kobold ambush they instantly killed my two companions and when I went to fight them upon going to a space touching one of them I was instantly mortally wounded then every attack after that missed until I bled out. Also 90 percent of my attacks miss and when they don't they just cut the muscle, never sever limbs or arteries.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: December 05, 2013, 03:02:17 am »

Well, it is not unheard of legendary adventurers being humilated by kobold archers...

First of all. Boost your defense before offence. Shield and dodge are your best friends ever. Shield is a bit more reliable, though. Always start with some points in one/both. Armor user gives much smaller benefits, but one or two points may be vital if you don't want to loose all your speed while wearing armor. Well, ARMOR. If you try to kill someone without wearing it - be prepared to be dismembered in a blink of an eye.

Next. Never move TO your enemy (exception is archers). Let him make first move and confess your love by bashing his brain out. If you have decent speed (and one need a decent speed) - you can walk away until targeting ('A') will give you a green shot. Remember - novice adventurer can be expected to hit something only at green (yet, 50% of attaks still would be dodged/parried/blocked by experienced opponent). And the chance of counterattack is pretty low. When you get to legendary levels, you can try even red targeting, although I won't recommend it.

About wounds - when you are wounded, you lose speed (bruises don't count). And it becomes easier for the opponent to finish you. So? Try as best as you can to avoid injuries. And if you get a serious wound - better retreat while you can.

Attributes. Main are Strength and Agility. Second priority - Toughness, Endurance, Willpower. Third - Senses, Focus.
Strength means more damage, more muscle and more weight (which is not always beneficial). Agility is dodging, speed and movement. For me, Agility is better.
Also, you can lower most of attributes not mentioned. Social Awareness and Empathy give you more companions, but in the end with skyrocketing fame you will still get 20 even with low values.

So. Dodge, Shield, (Armor), Weapon skill, (Fighter), (Swimmer/Observer/...). Agility & Stength, Toughness/Will/...
Start with demigod. And try to train yourself a bit on small (!) animals (not "Tame" if possible, as it will anger whole civilisation).

Bonus options, somewhat close to cheating: Ambushing & Throwing
While you 'S'neak, no one can notice you while you have at least 3 tiles between you and enemy. Grab a few rocks, knap them and throw at opponents. You will boost attributes as well. Killing enemies with sand, water and blood is fun, yet not too logical.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: December 05, 2013, 08:31:04 am »

Does retiring and unretiring remove the mummy curse? I've read a couple tines that it does, but when I tried that, it didn't work.

how good is your character?

I was using the modded armok adventurer.

then you probably should restart

If I was playing a dwarf adventurer, would that trick have worked?

sorry only noticed this right now no it wouldn't as far as I know but since it would be a easily replacable armok it wouldn't matter

True on the armok thing, and I was just trying to see whether that fact was actually true or not.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 11:23:46 am by smjjames »

blazing glory

« Reply #1608 on: December 05, 2013, 09:41:57 pm »

Could someone tell me me how to spend skill and attribute points?

while sarrak provided lots of information he did not answer this question,you don't spend points,you do something over and over and you get better,if I were to need to level up my fighting skill then I would need about 800 points till it levels up,I hit a beaver I gain about 10 points in fighting and about 5 points in sword/mace/hammer/axe/whip skill,practicing on humanoids (who have nasty sharp things) is a bad idea until you are very good,and it's a good idea to have full armour even if you arn't fighting humanoids.That's my advice
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:46:38 pm by blazing glory »

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: December 05, 2013, 10:19:35 pm »

Could someone tell me me how to spend skill and attribute points? I'am new to adventure mode and am obviously doing something wrong. Example, when I got in a kobold ambush they instantly killed my two companions and when I went to fight them upon going to a space touching one of them I was instantly mortally wounded then every attack after that missed until I bled out. Also 90 percent of my attacks miss and when they don't they just cut the muscle, never sever limbs or arteries.
Sarrak's suggestion are good, I would also suggest putting points into swordsmanship as that is how I have sent most body parts flying. This is assuming that me and Sarrak have the right idea and that you are talking about on adventurer creation and not after that.

Also is it actually the skill and attributes that is giving you trouble or not knowing things like using SHIFT-a to target your attacks instead of the movement keys for combat. There are more little things like this but I am not going to put them all down because you may already know
about all of them. I will if this is more your issue and I have internet access when you reply, if I can't I am sure someone else will.

Finally I have to second that sneaking and throwing can be incredibly cheat-y. I use them but I do have to agree it is a little unbalanced
when I can make 10-20 (failed?) wrestling attempts before a creatures spots me, but seeing as the creature then proceeded to rip me limb
from limb I will somehow live with the guilt of sneaking and throwing.

"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: December 17, 2013, 03:45:05 am »

What are the safe ways to cross rivers without losing companions that forget they're not able to swim?

Bridges and ice are obvious solutions. I've never seen fords or the like.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: December 17, 2013, 07:30:26 am »

Swim across, run away from the river and fast travel as soon as possible. You won't lose anyone.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

bleekmiddel

• Bay Watcher
  • who are you gonna call? DWARF FORTRESS!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: December 18, 2013, 11:16:42 am »

i made the usual wall of campfires
then bogeyman woke me up
and now is my question will time continu if you don't throw stuf at them ::)

sorry for bad english its not my native language :P

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: December 18, 2013, 01:44:26 pm »

Are you asking if you can avoid them?
If so, yes. Once it's daytime, they go away. It would take a lot of patience and would really tire out your guy, though.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: December 18, 2013, 05:02:23 pm »

Swim across, run away from the river and fast travel as soon as possible. You won't lose anyone.

Not really an option when you are crossing a wide river.

i made the usual wall of campfires
then bogeyman woke me up
and now is my question will time continu if you don't throw stuf at them ::)

sorry for bad english its not my native language :P

You could also go to advanced worldgen and set bogeman types to 0.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: December 18, 2013, 06:05:56 pm »

Yes just press . to skip your turn.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: December 20, 2013, 02:29:33 am »

What do the small +s on the far right of the aimed attack menu mean?
Why will you sometimes, say, have a green + for the lower arm (which is 'normal/cannot connect'), but not for the lower body ('easy/square')? They look fairly random.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: December 20, 2013, 02:52:20 am »

They're better.

That particular case probably has an opportunity attack, which is represented by a blue exclamation point (and a blue arrow pointing towards it if you're not on the page).

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: December 20, 2013, 11:46:41 am »

Is it even possible to attack the throat without knocking someone unconscious?

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: December 20, 2013, 11:53:04 am »

Is it even possible to attack the throat without knocking someone unconscious?
Of course, but that implies having some absurd skill levels - at which point you'd be better off just doing the usual procedure since you aren't the insane semi-god it takes to do it.
Although you might hit something else while swinging for the throat and not getting counterstriked.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:56:49 am by Bloax »

oh_no
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 327