Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621863 times)

Pigbear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1620 on: December 21, 2013, 03:07:46 am »

How do you aim a ranged weapon? I can't actually seem to hit any good targets with a crossbow, I keep hitting stuff like legs and not doing much to them.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: December 21, 2013, 03:34:16 am »

You can't aim at specific limbs.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Azerax

• Bay Watcher
  • Azerax stops posting, seeking child.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: December 29, 2013, 08:23:05 am »

hello all,

I'm new to adventurer mode and have a throwing question.  I trained throwing/ambush/swimming up to legendary.  I made some sharp rocks, got about 10 squares from a camel (and later a rabbit) and threw about 10 rocks at them each, but nothing seemed to happen other than the rocks getting scattered around them.  What am I doing wrong?

thanks for your time,
Scott

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: December 29, 2013, 12:14:00 pm »

Sometimes wild animals are considered friendly, and in-game there is no friendly fire with ranged weapons yet. Though they will not be considered friendly once they spot you. Once they see you they will either start attacking or running away.

Try sneaking up close to them, then reveal yourself. Not close enough for them to be able to hit you, of course. Just close enough to be able to pelt them with a couple rocks before they can escape.

Azerax

• Bay Watcher
  • Azerax stops posting, seeking child.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: December 29, 2013, 04:38:15 pm »

Thanks, this was it (friendly animals).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: December 29, 2013, 05:42:41 pm »

Hitting things with throwing doesn't increase the throwing skill; only the throwing itself does. It's better to just throw at a wall.

PABadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: December 29, 2013, 05:57:59 pm »

Hey, somebody's probably already asked this, but is it possible to leave a cache at a location in adventure mode and then embark in the area and have your new fortress dwarves pick it up? I'd like to leave some gear for my fortress without having to waste embark points on it and I'm wondering if I can have my adventurer leave it behind.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: December 29, 2013, 06:55:17 pm »

Hey, somebody's probably already asked this, but is it possible to leave a cache at a location in adventure mode and then embark in the area and have your new fortress dwarves pick it up? I'd like to leave some gear for my fortress without having to waste embark points on it and I'm wondering if I can have my adventurer leave it behind.
Yes, I'm pretty sure this has been done before. Just drop everything at the exact site you want to embark on (be wary of the region map squares), take note of the location and you're good to go. Note that upon embarking, you might find the items scattered around (at least, that was the case if i remember correctly).
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Kljunas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: January 01, 2014, 09:42:56 am »

I've realised too late that immortal creatures such as elves can't become necromancers. Is there a way to edit my save to allow my character to become a necro? I tried to add a max age to elves in my region folder's raws but it didn't work.

Also if I just drop the slab somewhere will it remain there for my next adventurer to find?

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: January 01, 2014, 09:50:19 am »

I've realised too late that immortal creatures such as elves can't become necromancers. Is there a way to edit my save to allow my character to become a necro? I tried to add a max age to elves in my region folder's raws but it didn't work.

Also if I just drop the slab somewhere will it remain there for my next adventurer to find?
you may need to generate the world again for the raw changes to take effect I think but don't quote me on that.
Yes you can leave a slab where-ever you want, but when you come back it may have 'scattered' and will not be in the exact same position you left it at. (it will be somewhere close to where you left it but not exactly, this can be bad if the place you left it at has lots of items because you will then need to sift through them all to find it)
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

Kljunas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: January 01, 2014, 01:30:13 pm »

Thanks.

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: January 04, 2014, 01:51:54 am »

Ok, thanks.
One more question:
How do you guys start out? Do you do a job first, or go around practicing on small, defenceless, furry creatures?
I slaughter towns.
Strike the earth!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: January 04, 2014, 05:06:15 pm »

you may need to generate the world again for the raw changes to take effect I think but don't quote me on that.
Yes you can leave a slab where-ever you want, but when you come back it may have 'scattered' and will not be in the exact same position you left it at. (it will be somewhere close to where you left it but not exactly, this can be bad if the place you left it at has lots of items because you will then need to sift through them all to find it)

If you just leave it in the necromancer tower (or the site it's on) or in a lair, it'll stay where you left it. Leaving it in a city keep also works since items don't scatter there.

CBlackrose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: January 05, 2014, 11:20:31 am »

How do I avoid an eat/drink/sleep loop? Last time I played I managed to not die to a llama again, but as soon as night started to fall I went to a house and slept. I woke up in the middle of the night hungry and thirsty, so I ate and drank until I was too full. I then slept until dawn, at which point i slept through the rest of the night, the next day and into the middle of the night, and when I woke up I was hungry and thirsty again. This cycle repeated itself until I got too frustrated to continue and gave up. Does anybody have any tips for managing that stuff?

ChildofSolitude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: January 05, 2014, 02:53:41 pm »

How do I avoid an eat/drink/sleep loop? Last time I played I managed to not die to a llama again, but as soon as night started to fall I went to a house and slept. I woke up in the middle of the night hungry and thirsty, so I ate and drank until I was too full. I then slept until dawn, at which point i slept through the rest of the night, the next day and into the middle of the night, and when I woke up I was hungry and thirsty again. This cycle repeated itself until I got too frustrated to continue and gave up. Does anybody have any tips for managing that stuff?

Go to the fast travel menu and run around a bit, and you will be able to eat again, but you won't lose as much nourishment. After a few tries, you can get to a stable point.

Hint: For some reason, you can drink the blood of enemies with no repercussions, and saltwater if you use a simple trick. Jump into the ocean, jump out immediately, drink the water off your body.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 327