Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621913 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3195 on: January 03, 2016, 03:42:12 pm »

As I said, I went to a different site and was hailed as a legend too.

On another adventurer I ran up to a little hamlet with a dragon in it and killed it before it finished someone off, they called me a hero, etc, when I went to a nearby town tavern I got free drinks and such without doing anything to spread my fame.

It doesn't spread as fast if you don't do anything, but it definitely spreads.

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: January 03, 2016, 04:38:10 pm »

Is there any particular place where I can find Steel gear with more certainty? I have yet to find anything, be it armor or weapons made of Steel. I have not even found a town with a weapons shop yet. I need a steel sword so that I can take on this Bronze Colossus that I had to flee from. He couldn't lay a finger on me, but everything I had only glanced off.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3197 on: January 03, 2016, 04:42:52 pm »

I think the subtle problem here might be whether or not there's travel happening between the towns? I once had a hearth-man perform a single poem masterfully in a market square, stayed in town for two days(composing poems), and after that the whole civ seemed to know about me (calling me a bard). Similarly, when I started in a fort belonging to the civ of my dwarf fortress, which had always had the outpost liaison leave healthy, my adventurer knew of every historical event that happened in the dwarven fortress.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: January 03, 2016, 04:47:53 pm »

Is there any particular place where I can find Steel gear with more certainty? I have yet to find anything, be it armor or weapons made of Steel. I have not even found a town with a weapons shop yet. I need a steel sword so that I can take on this Bronze Colossus that I had to flee from. He couldn't lay a finger on me, but everything I had only glanced off.
Fortresses and sometimes retreats, not on the market but equipped. Look at woodcutters if you want a steel axe, miners if you want a steel pick. Any of the soldiers and mercs may have a piece of steel. You can either barter for these or recruit them and lead them to their deaths.

EDIT: You can also wrestle it off them in their sleep.  If you're caught by the target, they may go Lethal on you. If you're only witnessed by others it's considered Brawling, so they'll just make light of it in later conversations. With stealth and wrestling it's possible to make a clean theft, though.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:53:30 pm by Uzu Bash »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: January 03, 2016, 07:09:05 pm »

Fame spreads much better now.

I walked into a room with a dragon deity killing people, took it out, made stuff from the corpse, wrote a poem so people stopped burning/bleeding out, turn and say hello to a survivor.

Then I went to a tavern in a different town and said hello, the tavern keeper was astounded and such when they met me, offers me free room and booze and such, I haven't told anyone what I did, just the survivors/word-of-mouth.

Hold on a sec, what the hell?

I heard music has healing powers of a sort, but writing poetry to stop bleeding and burning? That's something new.

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: January 03, 2016, 07:25:34 pm »

Fortresses and sometimes retreats, not on the market but equipped. Look at woodcutters if you want a steel axe, miners if you want a steel pick. Any of the soldiers and mercs may have a piece of steel. You can either barter for these or recruit them and lead them to their deaths.

EDIT: You can also wrestle it off them in their sleep.  If you're caught by the target, they may go Lethal on you. If you're only witnessed by others it's considered Brawling, so they'll just make light of it in later conversations. With stealth and wrestling it's possible to make a clean theft, though.
Thanks! I was only able to find and trade a Steel Short Sword, but after a half-hour of dodging and repeated blows, the Colossus is down!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: January 03, 2016, 10:43:54 pm »

Not useful in your current world, but for the next one, go into your df/raw/objects/entity_default.txt and grab the line under the human entity, I think it's [BUILDS_OUTDOOR_TOMBS]? Add that to the dorf entity, small steel armor and weapons is worth risking mummydeathcurserape in my view.

I heard music has healing powers of a sort, but writing poetry to stop bleeding and burning? That's something new.
Due to the fighting and my not being able to ask if I can stay there is no resting option, I can't travel out of the keep directly, but writing a poem moves to the travel screen and heals units.

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: January 03, 2016, 10:46:31 pm »

If you become a Necromancer, do other humanoids become innately hostile to you? I thought I remember hearing somewhere that one of the races runs screaming from them, so I was curious if it affects your interaction with your formal mortal brethren.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: January 03, 2016, 10:53:17 pm »

Not useful in your current world, but for the next one, go into your df/raw/objects/entity_default.txt and grab the line under the human entity, I think it's [BUILDS_OUTDOOR_TOMBS]? Add that to the dorf entity, small steel armor and weapons is worth risking mummydeathcurserape in my view.
Elven and dwarven generals of human civs can already have steel armor in their tombs.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: January 03, 2016, 11:34:49 pm »

Necromancers are normal functioning members of society and everyone is cool with them until they start raising the corpses of their dead friends to eat them, and worse, start trying to get you to read their shitty Twilight fan fiction.

Oh, and while they can get steel stuff, human tombs are just a waste, there's already tons of iron crap littering human keeps, I'm not gonna go sift through the crap in a tomb for more.

Small masterwork steel armor and weapons? All day erryday.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: January 04, 2016, 12:33:19 am »

So, I found a completely empty city. I have a nice little group of companions, and presumably could lay claim to the site. If I did so, and then retired there, would history count it as a reclaim attempt?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: January 04, 2016, 02:28:35 am »

Dwarven civs with outdoor tombs are a bit more random in relation to mummies.

Humans have [UNDEAD_CANDIDATE] in the raws, so the likelyhood of !!disturbing a mummy!! is almost a certainty (depending on how deep you probe). I have had dwarven explorers run into dwarven mummies, but I suspect that's when civs overlap in world gen, where you'll find a variety of skeletons in a tomb (or something along those lines). A civ by itself needs both outdoor tombs + the candidate token to always have a mummy.

Along with adding outdoor tombs to dwarves in the entity.txt is giving humans/goblins [PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_MAKING]. Not just so you can more easily get steel items in mead halls/off slain enemies, but this also kind of evens out the odds when you get waylaid by bandits who can now punch through your copper/bronze/iron mail with ease.

The only drawback is the feeling of inflation as steel is now more common, not as rare/precious in Adv Mode anymore. Everyone's mileage of course, varies.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: January 04, 2016, 08:17:26 am »

Oh, and while they can get steel stuff, human tombs are just a waste, there's already tons of iron crap littering human keeps, I'm not gonna go sift through the crap in a tomb for more.
They're not a waste, they're rich in combat experience. And books that can't be found anywhere else -- those belong in a museum! And you're more likely to find masterwork there than anywhere else. If you're playing a human, that's the best you'll get.

EDIT: Let me not forget who I'm talking to and add that it's the best a human can get if you don't mod shit to give yourself handouts!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: January 04, 2016, 11:08:24 am »

Due to the fighting and my not being able to ask if I can stay there is no resting option, I can't travel out of the keep directly, but writing a poem moves to the travel screen and heals units.

That's... Somewhat unusual, but okay. I'll keep that in mind.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: January 04, 2016, 03:29:42 pm »

They're not a waste, they're rich in combat experience. And books that can't be found anywhere else -- those belong in a museum! And you're more likely to find masterwork there than anywhere else. If you're playing a human, that's the best you'll get.

EDIT: Let me not forget who I'm talking to and add that it's the best a human can get if you don't mod shit to give yourself handouts!
You can still find the weapons, but I rarely play humans so I'm biased there. Not sure what the handouts thing is about, I suppose I could add a no-requirement reaction to just fart out steel gear to an adventurer if I wanted, but it's more fun to find it, just like having tougher materials on megabeasts being usable for gear, so first you gotta find a way to kill them (since copper weapons will only barely work with semimegas, and just bounce off of rocs and hydras and stuff) and then actually do it.

The books tend to be 1 book per tomb complex, with 20 copies of it. Sadly.
Dwarven civs with outdoor tombs are a bit more random in relation to mummies.

Humans have [UNDEAD_CANDIDATE] in the raws, so the likelyhood of !!disturbing a mummy!! is almost a certainty (depending on how deep you probe). I have had dwarven explorers run into dwarven mummies, but I suspect that's when civs overlap in world gen, where you'll find a variety of skeletons in a tomb (or something along those lines). A civ by itself needs both outdoor tombs + the candidate token to always have a mummy.

Along with adding outdoor tombs to dwarves in the entity.txt is giving humans/goblins [PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_MAKING]. Not just so you can more easily get steel items in mead halls/off slain enemies, but this also kind of evens out the odds when you get waylaid by bandits who can now punch through your copper/bronze/iron mail with ease.

The only drawback is the feeling of inflation as steel is now more common, not as rare/precious in Adv Mode anymore. Everyone's mileage of course, varies.
I don't know what [UNDEAD_CANDIDATE] does now, actually, I find dwarven mummies all the time. I just set off an apocalypse in catacombs under a town when I found four mummies and sent victims down to disturb them.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:31:21 pm by Max™ »
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 327