Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621993 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3255 on: January 28, 2016, 09:14:36 am »

Don't underestimated the effect of Focus. If you have most needs in the green, it will display as "Focused!" and you'll be significantly better at everything. If you're not confident of your next battle, top them off and see the difference. I always max it before composing anything too, and it does get much better results for the skill levels.

Dropped items won't ever get stolen, believe it or not. Items dropped in any settlement, including camps, will be saved at that location on the tile they're dropped on. If you want to make a little weapons cache, pick anywhere you'll remember to come back, preferably sheltered from weather if you're leaving leather or clothes. Items' locations also save inside lairs, but not the exterior. I don't think meat rots in lairs, either.

Galap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: January 28, 2016, 09:42:41 pm »

Thanks for answers. So an abandoned house in a town would be acceptable as well? What I'm getting form this is that in wilderness areas the specific items and terrain changes do not persist, correct?

I've come upon a couple of lairs, but exploring the area shows nothing out of the ordinary. What should I be looking for?

Also, one of my companions refuses to put on shoes. I traded her sandals for bronze boots, so she would be armored, and usually with my companions simply giving them the items makes them put them on, but for her she just drops them on the ground and goes shoeless. Any idea how to fix this?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: January 29, 2016, 06:16:39 am »

I've come upon a couple of lairs, but exploring the area shows nothing out of the ordinary. What should I be looking for?
Depends on whose lair it is, but most creatures never come back to their lair this version. You should see an asterisk roving on the fast-travel map nearby. If it's a werebeast during full moon, they would be out hunting at night but likely to come home during the day. If it's not a full moon, they tend to socialize with others in nearby lairs.

Also, one of my companions refuses to put on shoes. I traded her sandals for bronze boots, so she would be armored, and usually with my companions simply giving them the items makes them put them on, but for her she just drops them on the ground and goes shoeless. Any idea how to fix this?
Shoes and boots are shaped clothing items, so they both occupy the same layer. She can wear socks or chausses with boots, but not shoes. See here for more detail: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Armor
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:18:45 am by Uzu Bash »

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: January 29, 2016, 02:26:20 pm »

Questions:

1. Again, Does hitting a giant tortoise after it has retracted into it's shell not grant weapon experience? It doesn't seem to for me.

2. Almost all of my deaths are from when a beast larger than I latches on firmly with a bite. What are good ways to escape bite from larger than you creature after it latches?

Thank you

Galap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: January 29, 2016, 02:55:28 pm »

]Shoes and boots are shaped clothing items, so they both occupy the same layer. She can wear socks or chausses with boots, but not shoes. See here for more detail: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Armor

To clarify, she is not wearing shoes, only socks. when given any shoe type item she jusy drops it.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: January 29, 2016, 03:49:05 pm »

]Shoes and boots are shaped clothing items, so they both occupy the same layer. She can wear socks or chausses with boots, but not shoes. See here for more detail: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Armor

To clarify, she is not wearing shoes, only socks. when given any shoe type item she jusy drops it.
But the boots are worn, as you stressed in your earlier post. This is why shoes won't be. Shaped item are mutually exclusive per body loc.

1. Again, Does hitting a giant tortoise after it has retracted into it's shell not grant weapon experience? It doesn't seem to for me.

2. Almost all of my deaths are from when a beast larger than I latches on firmly with a bite. What are good ways to escape bite from larger than
1. Obviously not.
2. Break its teeth with a blunt attack. This is easier done before it bites you, afterwards it's kind of a desperation move, but if it's able to bite without teeth it naturally won't work at all.
If you don't have the Observation to predict when it's about to bite, or the defense to evade it, or the accuracy and power to smash its teeth out, then you might should avoid fighting biters bigger than you.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:54:27 pm by Uzu Bash »

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: January 29, 2016, 04:10:27 pm »

@Uzu- I don't find it obvious why this would happen unless unconsciousness and turtles being retracted into a shell have a correlation, in the sense that both states don't grant experience.

Galap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: January 29, 2016, 04:25:14 pm »

@uzu

sorry, i guess i'm not making myself clear.

she's wearing neither boots not shoes. all she is wearing on feet is socks. if given any other outer footwear be it shoes, sandals, boots, etc. she drops it.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: January 29, 2016, 04:54:17 pm »

@uzu

sorry, i guess i'm not making myself clear.

she's wearing neither boots not shoes. all she is wearing on feet is socks. if given any other outer footwear be it shoes, sandals, boots, etc. she drops it.
Ah, check if they're the right size for her. If the description doesn't have fitting info, then it's fit for your race.

Galap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: January 29, 2016, 06:19:42 pm »

@uzu

I'm pretty sure that's not the problem, since she drops even her own old shoes.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: January 29, 2016, 06:56:50 pm »

@uzu

I'm pretty sure that's not the problem, since she drops even her own old shoes.
Huh. I assume she has feet if she's wearing socks. If you have dfhack you could try using the companion menu to make her drop everything to sort it yourself. Try taking socks away and putting the boots down, then get her to equip everything from the ground.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: January 30, 2016, 06:30:37 am »

Is there any way to get large clothing/armor in adventure mode? More than anything I just don't wanna be a naked sea elephant man.

Meant to respond to this last weekend. If you retire your animal/beastman in a civ, it joins that civ and can, upon unretiring, have appropriate size clothing. Getting a character to receive armor upon retiring is random, and it does help to have a look at the mead hall's soldiers to see what sort of equipment they have. If you want iron you'd need to be sure they have iron and whatnot.

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: January 30, 2016, 07:18:44 pm »

Got a couple of questions on my mind.
1: Does Scratching use Striker? And if it does, does scratching raise the skill at all? I tried experimenting with it, but didn't see any increases in Striker
2: Is there a certain distance distance you have to before (T)raveling doesn't cause everything in an area to instantly regenerate anything that isn't dismembered? I'm trying to roleplay that anybody that isn't worth the effort receives a maiming injury rather than death, but it kind of falls flat when the Bandit who I eye-gouged, gave some internal organ damage, and reduced his legs to pulp comes back to me 5 minutes later with nothing but scars and back to a clean bill of health
3: Does fame eventually travel to other towns/locations, or are your accomplishments only known in the areas you tell of them?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: January 30, 2016, 08:20:47 pm »

1. It certainly does. What's more, if your feet have scratch attacks, using them increases kicker, and they attack as fast as hand attacks. It's slow to increase until your strength comes up. With higher damage output it becomes more conspicuous. If you get a powerful wereform, you'll notice the increase pretty quickly.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: January 30, 2016, 09:55:24 pm »

3: Does fame eventually travel to other towns/locations, or are your accomplishments only known in the areas you tell of them?
Never visited this town before, never spoke to anyone in it before, took a long detour around some mountains rather than the direct route from where I had been to this town.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 327