Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621947 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3645 on: April 09, 2016, 02:29:21 pm »

You can also start off as a heartperson of a human civ and that makes it far easier. In any case, if you ask your lord/lady for duties pertaining to your service.

They'll send you off to do the usual quests, but if they're at war with someone you can get sent out to deal with enemies as well, something that doesn't quite line up with the "ask about troubles" equivalent. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: April 09, 2016, 07:34:30 pm »

>.> If you "accidentally" set fires under hearthpersons, or "trip" and knock one of them off the fortifications on the walls around a keep, as long as you don't actually attack them directly you can "let them die" and take their spot.

I call it the Cuckoo Maneuver.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: April 09, 2016, 08:56:08 pm »

Or again, start as one to begin with. Though I forget...does starting as a hearthperson adventurer ignore squad limits? :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: April 09, 2016, 09:34:02 pm »

Probably, I think I've joined another group and went to get back in to my starting one only to hear it was full up.

Starting as one is easier if you have dorfs make towns and have the right nobles to enable quests. World-gen forts are awful lagfests, I don't miss them.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: April 09, 2016, 09:41:51 pm »

Technically another viable option would be to give sheriffs squads.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3650 on: April 09, 2016, 10:28:00 pm »

You cam also join bandits the same way.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: April 10, 2016, 01:13:39 am »

Technically another viable option would be to give sheriffs squads.
Yeah but you gotta have a lord position with towns, nobody else under that lord will take on hearthpeople, and it leads to even MORE insurrections.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: April 10, 2016, 01:24:54 am »

Hmm. That's odd. Thing is, fortress guards use an entirely different system than hearthpeople. They're under just a sheriff, whereas heartpeoples are under a lord that has a specific array of position tokens (only justice and squads are needed for hearthpeopleness, but other tokens are used to make lords vulnerable to usurpation).

Do you mean sheriff guards will be buggy unless they have a baron, or other source of the law making toklen essential to the other half of lord behavior? Because I'm not sure what the captain of the guard would have that sheriffs lack, that would cause such a thing. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: April 10, 2016, 04:21:36 am »

I mean if you have positions like sheriffs in a civ that builds towns they don't behave properly. Right now I've got a stripped bare-minimum to allow working fort mode with military functions while still operating properly in towns.

Expedition leader, mayor, manager, chief medical dwarf, broker, bookkeeper, militia commander, variable positions: all, and site variable positions: all.

When you add in another position that can issue quests and have squads it tends to interfere with others, and I'd rather have working towns with rich and interesting stuff happening than laggy world-gen forts and bland hillocks any day of the week.

Xune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: April 10, 2016, 08:49:21 am »

Is there any way to find out how old someone is?

In the people section of the Q menu I can see info on people I know but it doesn't tell me things like their physical description or their age. In fact, I don't even seem to be able to ask someone how old they are, am I missing something?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: April 10, 2016, 10:24:28 am »

I mean if you have positions like sheriffs in a civ that builds towns they don't behave properly. Right now I've got a stripped bare-minimum to allow working fort mode with military functions while still operating properly in towns.

I was thinking adding squads to sheriffs without changing anything else, not slapping towns and variable positions on dwarves for the hell if it. If a simple tweak to a pre-defined position interferes with some complex overhaul of the dwarven civilization, then don't do both. >_>

Personally I find hillocks to be fine, if only because they aren't lagfests. All they really need is for drinking mounds to act like taverns, maybe a few shop-type mounds, etc.

Is there any way to find out how old someone is?

In the people section of the Q menu I can see info on people I know but it doesn't tell me things like their physical description or their age. In fact, I don't even seem to be able to ask someone how old they are, am I missing something?

If you can actually see the person in question, you can examine them to get physical description, but age...not sure if there's any way to view that.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Xune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: April 10, 2016, 02:02:18 pm »

Thanks for the answer Random_Dragon.

Does anyone know how to interact with wells? I've found one in the hamlet I'm in but I can't get a drink from it.

Never mind, I found the answer: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104138.msg3080403#msg3080403
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:05:37 pm by Xune »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: April 10, 2016, 09:01:21 pm »

I was thinking adding squads to sheriffs without changing anything else, not slapping towns and variable positions on dwarves for the hell if it. If a simple tweak to a pre-defined position interferes with some complex overhaul of the dwarven civilization, then don't do both. >_>

Personally I find hillocks to be fine, if only because they aren't lagfests. All they really need is for drinking mounds to act like taverns, maybe a few shop-type mounds, etc.
Hillocks would be ok if they had more taking place, but heck, you never even really see bandits lurking in a hillock like you do in hamlets.

I was just annoyed that fortresses are so laggy with the tavern/possible library up in the surface box so every time the map loads you get the entire population who wants to drink heading upstairs, performers heading up, scholars filing to the library for murdertime, etc.

Then I had the problem where trying to join the squads was always met with "no room for you here" and I didn't know to try the cuckoo maneuver at the time, so I never actually saw if they gave quests properly or not.

Oh and the problem where you would end up with a lord or lady in a random hamlet who happens to be a dorf and thus won't give quests, yet if you kill them and give the position to a human it works fine?

reiraf21

• Bay Watcher
  • Just Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: April 17, 2016, 01:37:14 am »

still trying to get into adventure , How can i rob someone ?

do i just need to wrestle them and take their clothes,blade,sword,etc.

or there is some command in the game to do it?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3659 on: April 17, 2016, 03:27:19 am »

If you go to the same conversation menu where you ask someone to join your adventure, there should be an option "demand an item" - you can then demand for them to drop something and they'll consider you a brigand. It rarely works though unless you rough them up a bit.

As for wrestling you can certainly get peoples gear that way too - grab hold on one of their items, then press shift+i like you would for filling your waterskin with water, then find the appropriate piece of gear you were holding on to, select it, and it should give you an option to struggle for possession of it - again, this doesn't always work - if you're considerably stronger than the person you're robbing you should be able to take those items no problem, if you're weaker it rarely works unless the target is unconscious.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 327