Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621856 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4290 on: May 02, 2017, 10:23:20 am »

Age changes happen in adventure mode but it happens on the year. Age of Death is hard without screwing around enough that the world generates > remains playable > everything dies anyways.

Yeah, era transitions happen on new year's. That one threw me for a loop one time I tried testing stuff.

About the only way to get a worldgenned-as-playable Age of Death is likely to mod subterranean critters to be outsider-playable, as the subterranean civs seem to be ignored by the era calculation.

However, even if you do that you still might get an Age of Myth unless you intentionally disabled all the mythical beasts, as about the only way to ensure megabeasts fail to spawn is to ensure there isn't any land at all to spawn on, and that will be flat-out Legends-only if nowhere to spawn exists.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: May 02, 2017, 11:56:20 am »

Actually even in the Age of Death you should be able to play as human outsiders as they are genned on the spot when you chose to play as them.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: May 02, 2017, 12:19:04 pm »

Actually even in the Age of Death you should be able to play as human outsiders as they are genned on the spot when you chose to play as them.

Oh right, yeah. So long as the world isn't full-on Legends Only, should work. But engineering a world where civs were never placed to begin with will mess with this. See issue: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9151

First half of issue is incorrect and was a derp that issue management hasn't corrected in damn near 3 years (I seriously wish issue openers could edit their own issues), but latter half of issue is relevent.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: May 03, 2017, 05:53:02 am »

Age changes happen in adventure mode but it happens on the year.

Oh, that's fantastic! Gotta kill all I can before the new year rolls around.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: May 03, 2017, 09:01:54 am »

Say, how do you get into caverns ? I've never been a fan of fort mode, so I never came across them there, and I don't really know where to look. I've tried the underground tunnels that connect fortresses but they're really devoid of life and I'm looking to meet some antmen so that won't do.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: May 03, 2017, 10:08:02 am »

Say, how do you get into caverns ? I've never been a fan of fort mode, so I never came across them there, and I don't really know where to look. I've tried the underground tunnels that connect fortresses but they're really devoid of life and I'm looking to meet some antmen so that won't do.

Best places are regular caves, those sometimes reach the cavern level. Also Dark Pits sometimes, check in the undrground part of town, they have big open areas often full of trolls and beakfogs, thr holes in the floor sometimes reach the caverns, you have to climb or fly whole way down though and there might ride not be anyway back up.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: May 03, 2017, 02:30:25 pm »

Caves are your entranceways. To find them, ask around for beasts, bandits and skulking vermin; ettins and cyclopses etc., bandit gangs, and kobolds occassionally make caves their homes.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

tommblob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: May 03, 2017, 04:35:38 pm »

I've recently been wondering why I can never seem to knock somebody unconscious with a warhammer or the flat of my axe, but a simple punch in the face is an instant KO. Anybody know what's up with that?

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: May 03, 2017, 05:35:06 pm »

I've recently been wondering why I can never seem to knock somebody unconscious with a warhammer or the flat of my axe, but a simple punch in the face is an instant KO. Anybody know what's up with that?

I've seen warhammer wielding companions knocking things out. Also seen warhammers stuck in

DF hammers are supposedly like this... so they're just as apt to puncture or mangle or tear as they are to deliver a concussive shock that bounces a brain around inside a skull like a punch or kick.

Thats my theory. Like anything DF related its open to interpretation.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:06:26 pm by Rusty Shackleford »

Ember

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: May 03, 2017, 08:57:41 pm »

i got directed to a town that has a criminal organization, and im not sure whether ive found them or not, there seems to be nothing under the keep short of 2 guard? not sure if they are actual guards and one commander of some sort, i took a look in a, as far as i can tell, a well thats full of armed people all over the place loot and corpses/skeletons but no one there is hostile, any suggestions? or are they in some other underground space... or the warehouse that i have yet to find

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: May 03, 2017, 09:12:04 pm »

i got directed to a town that has a criminal organization, and im not sure whether ive found them or not, there seems to be nothing under the keep short of 2 guard? not sure if they are actual guards and one commander of some sort, i took a look in a, as far as i can tell, a well thats full of armed people all over the place loot and corpses/skeletons but no one there is hostile, any suggestions? or are they in some other underground space... or the warehouse that i have yet to find

Those are probably your criminals. Ask them their profession. If they say 'I'm a lieutenant for the warlord/commander/chief Blarg Blurgenblurt' they are probably criminals. If they reply simply 'I'm a soldier' then they are not. Criminals are not hostile by default and they make good traveling companions. Killing the leader satisfies the quest I believe. You'll know them because they're gonna be blinky axelords or swordmasters with a boss-like title.

Fun side note, if you recruit criminals as companions be very careful visiting retired forts with them. Dwarven weapon traps are designed to detect evil and will trigger on your new friends.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:19:48 pm by Rusty Shackleford »

Ember

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: May 03, 2017, 09:26:26 pm »

Ive never liked companions for some reason no matter what game, so i might not bother recruiting them, also yes they definately are my criminals though i think im going to hold off attacking them till i get my skills/stats up though not sure how to increase strength and agility, ive seen mention of swimming being the best way but beast men seem bugged in reguards to swimming and i have no idea if it has been patched, swam quite a lot without any change to the skill

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: May 03, 2017, 09:43:34 pm »

Yeah beastmen swim innately, so don't need skill to swim and never improve swimming. Not sure if that is an intended feature or not. I figure its like how your dog never needs to be taught to swim but nobody's dog is exactly Michael Phelps in the water either.

My technique for powerleveling is to go to coasts on savage biomes and endlessly beat and wrestle giant animals with training weapons with a macro. Giant slugs/snails are the best for this. If you level the spear, sword axe and wrestling it should make up for the lack of swinning.The wiki has a powerleveling guide if you google hard enough

Ember

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: May 03, 2017, 09:58:03 pm »

guess its time to wrestle though i might stay away from larger critters, sure i managed to kill a random named swamp troll but im still just starting out XD

also question, i started with a bronze battle axe, is the orichalcum verion that i just traded in better? im assuming it is but im not too sure

how do i use water in my waterskin to wash off blood?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 10:19:14 pm by Ember »

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: May 03, 2017, 10:20:38 pm »

guess its time to wrestle though i might stay away from larger critters, sure i managed to kill a random named swamp troll but im still just starting out XD

also question, i started with a bronze battle axe, is the orichalcum verion that i just traded in better? im assuming it is but im not too sure

Just remember if you auto-wrestle a little bird or something you'll sometimes randomly throw it 12 tiles away and kill it.

I play vanilla but I'd safely assume orichalcum is better than bronze.

Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 327