Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 546604 times)

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #720 on: January 25, 2011, 11:39:32 pm »

:/ Thanks anyway.

Try making a shortcut to xrl.exe with the -console parameter.

"xrl.exe -console"

If you're having trouble starting up in OpenGL mode it might work better for you.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 25, 2011, 11:46:29 pm »

Um.  How exactly do I do that?  I know that right-clicking on the xrl.exe icon will give me a list that includes the "make shortcut" option, but what do I do from there?  I don't just rename the shortcut do I?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 25, 2011, 11:52:09 pm »

Go into the properties and add that -console tag to the end of the file path.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 26, 2011, 10:57:52 pm »

Bug fix patch:

*Missile weapons are now able to hit monsters that appear 'inside' walls (jilted lovers, for example)
*Updated tortoise description
*Heightened Strength should correctly display the next level's statistics in the level-up dialog
*Fixed a memory leak in the pathfinder
*Fixed a memory leak in the river builder
*Fixed a mutation-related exception in deep object copies (evil twins, fugues, etc.)
*Fixed an evil-twin specific exception
*Added a batch file to launch caves of qud in console mode

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 26, 2011, 10:59:12 pm »

memory leak? how big was it?

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 26, 2011, 11:00:51 pm »

memory leak? how big was it?

None of them are particularly massive, but there are still some floating around that cause the game size to grow over time. This fixes a few. I'll eventually nab them all, but it's just a pain to track them down.

Since it's .NET it's not really a 'memory leak' in the true classical sense, though it means the same thing in real effect, game sizes and memory usage that grow over time.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 26, 2011, 11:15:54 pm »

Bug fix patch:

Wait so this means...?  Thank you if this means the game will run!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 26, 2011, 11:19:10 pm »

*Fixed a mutation-related exception in deep object copies (evil twins, fugues, etc.)
*Fixed an evil-twin specific exception
Yay! Now we can actually pick that defect without worrying about the game becoming unplayable.

Really? I don't see a .bat file in the zip download.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 26, 2011, 11:37:38 pm »

wait i thought there was a console mode shortcut already?

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 26, 2011, 11:50:28 pm »

Whoops I messed it up, just posted a new build that should have the new .bat file in it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #730 on: January 27, 2011, 11:10:32 am »

Just a thought: It would be neat if the future copies of you summoned by fugue could be observed with random mutations if you paid for random future mutations at character creation and haven't gotten to select them yet.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 27, 2011, 11:36:25 am »

unormal, the new build is great.
I do have a question, though, and it's going to sound silly considering the more or less stable, powerful state of the current crafting system. Are you ever planning to have more detailed crafting implemented? You know, in the long term. The current one is fine, but it seems like the kind of thing that might fit the game.  :)

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 27, 2011, 12:47:57 pm »

unormal, the new build is great.
I do have a question, though, and it's going to sound silly considering the more or less stable, powerful state of the current crafting system. Are you ever planning to have more detailed crafting implemented? You know, in the long term. The current one is fine, but it seems like the kind of thing that might fit the game.  :)

Yeah, we'd like a much more complex crafting system, but like alot of the fantasy stuff it'll be awhile probably.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #733 on: January 27, 2011, 05:45:22 pm »

What kind of crafting system do you eventually want? can you describe it to us?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 27, 2011, 09:06:34 pm »

What kind of crafting system do you eventually want? can you describe it to us?

Well, we haven't run full designs on any of it, and this doesn't really include my colleague's thoughts on the matter, so take it all just as random chatter; but some assorted rambling:

1. Tinkering - We added tinkering as our first 'craft' because it's really core to the flavor of the world, as well as the first major plotline. We would like to add the ability to apply modifications to exist equipment as well, and I'd expect this in the medium term (sooner than 'actually never'), because we think it's pretty core to the value of tinkering. The overall balance and UI for tinkering is still really rough, so I wouldnt' be surprised if it changed quite a bit once or more as time goes on.

2. Smithing/Tailoring - Tinkering lets you create artifacts, but I'd like to provide crafting based on drops from butchery and ore you can dig up to create and maintain the rest of the gamut of items in the game. This would probably be recipie driven like Tinkering, with drops from plants, animals and walls to allow a different subset of items and mods than tinkering to be created. This would come after tinkering in the grand scheme of things, but I wouldn't expect it until after our '1.0' release. As it was added, we'd probably add more brutal degredation/breaking of items.

3. Medicine/Healing - Tinkering lets you create injectors of various sorts, but I'd probably want to branch the 'drugs' category off into a seperate craft, perhaps using 'autoinjector blanks' you can tinker up and filling them with stuff crafted by healing instead. It would utilize harvested drops from plants and organs from butchery. This would probably come after smithing/tailoring.

4. More general world/townbuilding - In the dim future (maybe never) I would like to add a major plot that would allow you to grow and defend a settlement in the world, with the 'win' condition for that being surviving a certain set of events, and providing for a thriving settlement. This would be a long time from now, and might just end up being a seperate game if it happens.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 250