Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress, and its effect on your psyche.  (Read 28090 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress, and its effect on your psyche.
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2012, 10:22:53 am »

No recent DF-inspired dreams, but I have noticed I am much more sadistic / non-caring-ness about my actions or the well being of anything in a video game. Minecraft? Kill the villagers. Skyrim? Expendable NPC's EVERYWHERE. Dwarves dying by the hundreds, to a zombie apocalypse? Pause, make popcorn, unpause, watch chaos.

That comes from someone who only played Grand Theft Auto to throw grenades around in public, and hose people with a fire truck as I drove by, and I used to care if a dwarf died. Now I only care if its an original 7, and if its in a stupid way, like starving to death. (Not like my mason/mechanic recently - he wandered into the mine cart grinder while it was on, trying to retrieve a sock or something. He didn't die right away, but suffocated on the way to the hospital.)

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2012, 03:39:33 pm »

Every fantasy movie and game I watch now remind me of DF. If I watch LOTR, I go "Oh. I bet Gimli would make a great migrant" when I play TES I go "Wait...Dwarves were elves...What kind of blasmphy is this?!"
Unf.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2012, 05:20:02 am »

Last night I saw a dream that I was in a dwarf fortress, telling craftsdwarves to make pony plushies. When a craftsdwarf asked for a work queue, I answered "Rainbow Rainbow Rainbow Rainbow!"

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2012, 06:49:23 am »

I can't recall any specifics of my DF dreams, but they are invariably the kind of dream that I awake from partially only to deliberately go back to sleep in order to get more of the dream. They are also quite violent, at least when they're just about pushing buttons and looking at ASCII with weird stories.

I also find that I can't watch movies like The Hobbit or look at quarries/ancient carved or natural cave sites without thinking about what great forts they'd make.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2012, 07:07:35 am »

I have dreamed DF dreams before, but I think the most interesting thing DF has done is make me not care about losing.
Once, if I lost a game or argument, or was proven wrong about anything, or did/said something stupid, I would be very upset or angry.
But now? I don't care. Losing is Fun!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Detahramet

• Bay Watcher
  • LIBERAL DWARF SQUAD! Hell yes, LDS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2012, 09:14:53 am »

I had a nightmare involving pond carp. And a flooded fort with many hallways going nowhere. And pond carp. And me being able to hold my breath indefinately. And pond carp. And bloody tears. And pond carp.
Hail Kodkod, Goddess of Jam!

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2012, 02:56:43 pm »

A deep hatred of Elves in any fantasy.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2012, 07:19:36 pm »

A deep hatred of Elves in any fantasy.
This too.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dented Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2013, 04:36:50 am »

I had a dream that at least half of the dreams on this thread are fabrications. Rather interesting fabrications.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2013, 05:26:58 am »

Somehow, it turns my morality for living animals turn inward, and feel bad for those living plants whom get trampled down by dwarves. Oh I can just get myself lost and drifting, just staring at a young fungiwood's iminent death or a larch sapling's impending doom even if they do not feel it. How cruel thine world is!

Tis not a dream, but I thought the title assumed of one to contribute one's thoughts.
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

Detahramet

• Bay Watcher
  • LIBERAL DWARF SQUAD! Hell yes, LDS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 01, 2013, 10:45:01 am »

Somehow, it turns my morality for living animals turn inward, and feel bad for those living plants whom get trampled down by dwarves. Oh I can just get myself lost and drifting, just staring at a young fungiwood's iminent death or a larch sapling's impending doom even if they do not feel it. How cruel thine world is!

Tis not a dream, but I thought the title assumed of one to contribute one's thoughts.
EEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hail Kodkod, Goddess of Jam!

Dented Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2013, 08:20:33 pm »

I feel sorry for the particles that you defaced by using red font. You monster.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2013, 01:06:59 pm »

Last night I dreamed about a new Dwarf Fortress Talk. It said that in the new version the dwarves could under some conditions have more than one mood in their lifetime. Toady mentioned a drug-growing fortress where all the children had been killed in moods.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2013, 03:29:11 pm »

If i close my eyes i see flashing DF symbols.
I am a Goober.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2013, 04:19:46 pm »

If I'm getting along with someone I have never met, I ask them "What is your opinion on Elves?". If they like them, I just go "Done", and walk off. If not, than I just continue like nothing happened.

This is actully true. I hate them damn Elves that much.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11