Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: *Spoilers* Got turned into [something unpleasant] - huh?  (Read 30897 times)

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Spoilers* Got turned into [something unpleasant] - huh?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 09:04:57 pm »

Alas, it wasn't meant to be. One of the human guards just wandered out of the fort doors so that we could talk, but apparently they have a prejudice against talking Elephants:

http://img834.imageshack.us/i/enthusiasm.jpg/

Quick! Ask him for a quest!

Tried that, he just gave me the standard message about death finding me soon enough. I'd already gotten plenty of quests from the nearby hamlet anyway, it'd just be a pain to do them with no companions, bogeymen to contend with, and an unequipped/unskilled elephant's mediocre combat abilities.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 09:07:38 pm »

Quick! Ask him for a quest!

Tried that, he just gave me the standard message about death finding me soon enough. I'd already gotten plenty of quests from the nearby hamlet anyway, it'd just be a pain to do them with no companions, bogeymen to contend with, and an unequipped/unskilled elephant's mediocre combat abilities.

Well...Sleep? I wonder if the body swap thingy is still happening. If you're lucky, you'll swap with a guard!

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 09:11:34 pm »

For some reason, it seems to always go demon -> some critter on the surface (elephant, warthog, etc) -> underground critter -> underground critter -> repeat. Only the second body swap is actually interesting with the ability to visit towns and talk to people, once you get stuck underground there's not much to do.

That being said it is theoretically possible to quest as an elephant or warthog or whatever, I just didn't have the patience to continue, as traveling or sleeping kicks you into a random underground critter with nothing to do.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2011, 09:12:33 pm »

Sleep again!

Try to become a Fly Demon!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2011, 09:23:25 pm »

God, imagine how creepy this would be if you were the body-swapping adventurer.

You go out for a bit of camping, and when you wake up you are suddenly a completely horrifying creature in a giant underground cavern. Scared and alone, you go to sleep and wake up again as a crab, and finally an elephant. As an elephant, you search for a town or maybe a hospital, and when you get to one nobody really cares!
well sleeping in town/fort will lead to changing into one of the residents. so press your luck and wake inside the mayor of the town and go on a killing spree, just make sure to not die before you go back to sleep/travel.
The rules for body swapping seem to be is,
1. traveling and sleeping will lead to a character change.
2.The only time where traveling won't swap to a different character is if you go back to the same place the original adventurer is which finish the swapping and or going back to the place where your last person you swap to was(if you where urist the dwarf and swap to camena the elf to get back Urist you must revisit the place you pick up Camena due to Urist is now some where in that area, and traveling back might get urist back.)
3.Death is still PermaDeath.
4.Companions will leave you if you swap back to your character you had before.
5.if you swap to a different character and travel well expect your self to be warp to a different part of the map or the ocean.

Most of these rules (5ish,3ish,2ish,1) don't follow when you have Dfusion and change characters using the ?perma adv change? function under 'Adv_tools' rule 3 can be fixed by using 'tools' instead and exiting the program.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 09:24:30 pm »

For some reason, it seems to always go demon -> some critter on the surface (elephant, warthog, etc) -> underground critter -> underground critter -> repeat. Only the second body swap is actually interesting with the ability to visit towns and talk to people, once you get stuck underground there's not much to do.

That being said it is theoretically possible to quest as an elephant or warthog or whatever, I just didn't have the patience to continue, as traveling or sleeping kicks you into a random underground critter with nothing to do.

I think it might be because of your current vertical and horizontal coordinates. If you haven't tried traveling to some other region, try now: you have a good chance of changing into whatever they have there.

Maybe you can try to sleep under a labyrinth and become a minotaur or a night creature. I wonder what kind of stats they have.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 10:20:52 pm »

Traveled to a nearby fort to recruit some companions, and.. discovered that Elephants can't open doors. All my plans for becoming the first great Elephant general ruined. Which means I won't be able to sleep indoors in a town, either.

Couldn't you exploit the game's lax treatment of creature size and just crouch down and go under somebody who is already standing in a doorway (thus blocking the door from closing and allowing passage)...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

mud074

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 11:02:12 pm »

Is it possible to easily replicate this? if so, how? it sounds epic :)
In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only Googletopia.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2011, 01:11:24 am »

You can download the save if you just want to see it for yourself - as for replicating it at will, well, my best guess would be:
1.) get a ways out on a glacier
2.) exit travel mode
3.) sleep
4.) Continue walking - the first time it wasn't instant, I continued to walk a bit longer after waking up before getting abruptly swapped with no warning.

Or if you're patient and really want to duplicate the original conditions, exit travel on the shore and march out onto the glacier the slow way before sleeping. If that doesn't do it, then I have no idea. Since it seems to have something to do with travel/sleep and certainly never occurs on normal terrain, I imagine it had something to do with sleeping on the glacier, and maybe not being in travel mode at first (until sleeping, which is basically travel mode), but there may be more to it than that.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:16:41 am by Anathema »

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2011, 06:00:54 am »

This is the most awesome glitch I've ever heard of. Kinda makes me want to write a story, y'know?

So.....has it been agreed as to how this happened? I honestly want to try duplicating it for fun and profit (but mostly that first one.) As far as I can tell glaciers are involved?

EDIT: I should try reading the post DIRECTLY ABOVE ME sometime.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:48:35 am by Tastysaurus Rex »
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Seanp888

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy *shrug*
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2011, 07:13:07 am »

Oh hell this explains soooo much i found a Freindly recruitably demon on the surface somthing like the body swap must have happend to him

I just found this one guy named (Reko Mallumutk "Reko the Perplexing Martyr" Charcoal Devil) And i  found him inside this one human keep labeled as a prisoner  his equipment was decorated Nicely with facy items and his description is as follows (A great scaly Coyote twisted into a humanoid form it, Squirms and fidgets, Its charcoal scales are jagged and close-set, Beware its Fire !

He is skinny)

So this guy is some kinda forgotten beast that was captured or somthing? hopefully he will make a kick ass companion ! and turn all those goblins into !!Goblins!!

Log : When i was exploring with Reko we found some lions and he threw a fire ball at one lion killing it and then he ran into the flames and killed the rest !
Log II: After when getting almost to a fort i was heading too we where ambushed by a team of humans and I noticed Reko can also  Breath fire aswell as throw it also he is an awesome fighter
Log III: Later after 3 Ambushes i fell pray to a mace goblin because Reko got distracted by a swarm of buzzards and chased them away with fire balls while my skull was bashed in , maybe i  will find him again?
\  I don't imagine them marching out there in a column and facing the enemy in a phalanx and using traditional footwork and precise blows to disable their target.  I figure they chug six beers, strap up and roll out with the intention of making something vomit.\

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2011, 07:15:02 am »

Hmmm so thats why there was a demon king in a human fortress
Desu

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2011, 08:44:49 am »

Those demons aren't glitches, they escape the underworld during worldgen and take over human and goblin civilisations. The demon prisoner probably came from a goblin civilisation that was conquered by the humans.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Seanp888

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy *shrug*
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2011, 09:07:55 am »

Those demons aren't glitches, they escape the underworld during worldgen and take over human and goblin civilisations. The demon prisoner probably came from a goblin civilisation that was conquered by the humans.

Hmmm your probably right but still it was awesome having a fire ball throwing buddy , or well before i died it was fun at least XD
\  I don't imagine them marching out there in a column and facing the enemy in a phalanx and using traditional footwork and precise blows to disable their target.  I figure they chug six beers, strap up and roll out with the intention of making something vomit.\

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2011, 06:18:35 pm »

That's... kinda... descending to a lower plane of existence. Pretty epic. See if you can get out by any means, including dfusion, and if yes, then go sneak around and bite stuff.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5