Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: Salem: paradoxe's new free to play MMORPG.  (Read 46294 times)

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Salem: paradoxe's new free to play MMORPG.
« Reply #210 on: April 26, 2012, 01:10:09 pm »

Really, curios/inspirationals don't make sense? So you would say you haven't learned anything from building lego houses as a child? Playing is *the* method of learning IRL, so I really don't see how it's so hard to swallow learning from toys in a game.
I'd sure as fuck like to see some baby learn architecture by building a lego house.

Huh?  Are you really disputing the fact that children learn from playing by citing the fact that babies can't draft floor plans? 

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 26, 2012, 01:16:24 pm »

And really, what would you have? Building thousands of baskets and chopping thousands of trees for experience alone because it's somehow more realistic? Even if it is, it is still inferior gameplay because it's mind-numbingly grindy and doesn't involve any actual decision making. And if you're not making decisions you're not playing a game, you're watching it. Even if it actually requires you to turn the crank on the projector.
So, collecting curios isn't mind-numbingly grindy and involves tons of actual decision making. Right. And obviously it's logical that finding a grass and pondering it would make you a better achitect.

Huh?  Are you really disputing the fact that children learn from playing by citing the fact that babies can't draft floor plans? 
No, I'm disputing Fanboy's logic, because he says almost exactly that. Babies learn basic logic by playing, so piligrims would learn weaponsmithing and engineering by playing, my ass.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 26, 2012, 01:29:36 pm »

Foraged curios are only a small percentage of the total number. And optimizing production of crafted curios and choosing which ones to make in the first place *does* involve a ton of decision making.

And no, pilgrims would learn skills by having master artisans teach them. So yeah, let's just make it so you buy skills for silver, that would be super realistic.

And piss off with personal insults already.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 26, 2012, 01:33:31 pm »

So far: Not a fan of the study system.

What can new players actually do?
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2012, 01:35:09 pm »

Not much, sadly. It takes a day or so of foraging grind to get to the fun part. More early game content is in the pipeline, after the combat system is redone.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2012, 01:36:00 pm »

And no, pilgrims would learn skills by having master artisans teach them.
Pondering a grass and a small rock != getting stuff taught by master artisans.
And piss off with personal insults already.
I didn't insult you.

What can new players actually do?
Run around for hours on end, searching for stones to ponder. Nothing else. No part of the previous two sentences was a joke.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 26, 2012, 01:40:20 pm »

Uhm, yeah, I did just say that the realistic way to learn skills would be learning from other people, not that it would be anything like the current system. Thing is, rediscovering millennia worth of technology in a single generation, let alone a couple of months would be even more immersion breaking. Having it take realistically long time (ie millennia) would make for a pretty bad game, though. So yeah, the realistic approach is completely infeasible.

And you go out of your way to call me a Fanboy (with a capital F) in every post, using it to mock me and dismiss my opinions. If that isn't an insult, then I don't know what is.

*edit* Wait, actually you *could* learn from NPCs. Maybe they could teach you in exchange for fetching them some items, like say stones and grass. Hmmm...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:43:57 pm by DJ »

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 26, 2012, 01:48:14 pm »

I don't know about you guys, but a game where you ponder stones sounds great to me. Mad philosophical and shit.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 26, 2012, 01:49:27 pm »

Maybe they could teach you in exchange for fetching them some items, like say stones and grass. Hmmm...
...So the game doesn't have enough... I dunno, 'natural' grind, so now it's supposed to have fucking fetch quests. Gah.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 26, 2012, 01:51:28 pm »

But it would be REALISTIC ::)

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 26, 2012, 01:53:49 pm »

Maybe they could teach you in exchange for fetching them some items, like say stones and grass. Hmmm...
...So the game doesn't have enough... I dunno, 'natural' grind, so now it's supposed to have fucking fetch quests. Gah.
Hey, either book you two a room, or knock it off.
DJ has valid points, and even agrees with you, expanding on your ideas: I fetch my teachers money to get educated, that makes sense. You're just trying to disqualify everything he's been saying for a little while, just because it's him. Relax, take a breath, and move on.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 26, 2012, 01:59:01 pm »

DJ has valid points, and even agrees with you, expanding on your ideas: I fetch my teachers money to get educated, that makes sense.
Yes, that makes sense in any other game. But Salem is supposed to have wilderness exploration, survival and building from nothing as it's key factor. Which is kinda ruined by any NPC interaction whatsoever, and especially in such a critical way as skill advancement.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 26, 2012, 02:01:21 pm »

You can't have realism AND bootstrapping from nothing to the level of technology Europeans had during colonization of Americas.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 26, 2012, 02:21:56 pm »

Jeez, I was afraid to step into the conversation about the mechanics and evidently that was a justified fear. I'll second Siquo's request to take it to PMs. 

As I've gotten further from Boston, the game has started to grown on me. The good ol' fashioned Brodgar wasteland and whatever bug is keeping maple leaves from respawning seem to be the worst culprits for making the game completely unfun. I managed to trip over a feather so I could even get my own forest to myself (for the most part).

I really wish that if the spot you logged out on had something in it, the game would just log you in nearby instead of making you teleport home and drop all your crap. I lost a load of salt and rare curios because it was stuck under my lean-to when the game finally loaded.

It also seems that the minimap has a problem since around my homestead, which is pretty much pure forest as far as I've found, it claims there's grasslands and even a player built road, which upon investigation are clearly not there.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #224 on: April 26, 2012, 10:55:08 pm »

I have just had it with this.

Decided to see for myself, clicked the email links, made a Paradox account, went to my games page, entered the key. NOTHING, game shows but no download happens. Try another browser, NOTHING.

Searched forum for similar problems, and found them. Found a link to the client, got that. Crashed. Checked for latest version of Java, was already at latest version of Java. Crash. Crash. Crash.

Done.

Seatribe are ass-hats.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21