Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 35

Author Topic: Improved Farming, Rebooted: Agricultural Revolution  (Read 140729 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Farming, Rebooted: Agricultural Revolution
« Reply #345 on: January 28, 2013, 11:57:42 am »

Well, to boil this down to the original reason I wrote this thread...

There were two major camps arguing in the old Improved Farming thread: people who said farming was too easy, and needed to be more complex and realistic, and the people who said that those solutions would add too much micromanagement.

I wound up rewriting the thread to try to incorporate every argument, explain what the problems were, why they were problems, what the most commonly talked-about solutions were, why they didn't solve every problem, and then propose solutions, explain why they solved the problem, and then give examples of what they would look like in play.

... and it wound up a manifesto-sized document that very few people read, so the thread keeps going back to many of the same argument of simple solution-it only causes micromanagement rebuttal.

It's a difficult trap that I'm in - I can either gloss over details and make an obviously faulty argument that seems to dismiss complaints, or I can make a holistic argument about why all other options are faulty, and face complaints that it's too complex to even bother reading.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #346 on: January 28, 2013, 12:58:32 pm »

It's a difficult trap that I'm in - I can either gloss over details and make an obviously faulty argument that seems to dismiss complaints, or I can make a holistic argument about why all other options are faulty, and face complaints that it's too complex to even bother reading.

You either need to learn brevity and make short, concise point that do not tire people with details, or you need to make that manifesto fun to read.

For example this: http://thecriminallawyer.tumblr.com/post/29326904495/16-a-problems is very long read, but also lots of fun to read.

I would like to understand this discussion, but it feel like i have to spend day studying it to being.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 28, 2013, 02:03:35 pm »

You either need to learn brevity and make short, concise point that do not tire people with details, or you need to make that manifesto fun to read.

For example this: http://thecriminallawyer.tumblr.com/post/29326904495/16-a-problems is very long read, but also lots of fun to read.

I would like to understand this discussion, but it feel like i have to spend day studying it to being.

That would be what I tried doing with the tl;dr version, (making it "more fun", and also having pictures,) but making pretty pictures to go along with it grew tiresome.

I suppose the best solution for now would be to just rewrite the tl;dr version to make it shorter than it is, since it's longer than I remember.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 28, 2013, 03:54:44 pm »

Alright...

I started just writing out a new one, and wound up creating something still kind of long, but close to as manageable as I could get without completely editing out large chunks of the conversation.  (Actually, I cut out the parts that were lead-ins to other possible overhauls, like magic biome types, and dietary models.)

The tl;dr Version:

The reason this thread is long is because it is arguing for why most simple solutions do not actually address all of these problems, and why a marginally more in-depth solution is needed.  Specifically:

Spoiler: The solutions proposed (click to show/hide)

I'm still trying to cut off some of the most common arguments, even in tl;dr mode, so I could edit it down more from there if I wanted to, but then have to keep going back to explaining why this increases challenge over time...

Also, as one last thing, Toady's already planning on throwing something like this into DF, as seen on the dev pages:

Farming Improvements
  • Soil moisture tracking and ability to moisten soil (buckets or other irrigation)
  • Soil nutrient requirements for plants and nutrient tracking to the extent the farming interface can provide decent feedback for you, fertilizers can reflect this
  • Harvestable flowers and fruit growing on plants, ability to plant trees
  • Weeds
  • More pests

When asked about it, Toady also said that he was interested in making the game as realistic as it could be while still being manageable, as his grandparents were farmers, and he had an interest in the topic. 

So, by and large, I'm not actually suggesting many concepts beyond what Toady was already considering doing, but that I'm suggesting ways of implementing the concepts in a way that makes the game non-micromanagey and as interesting as possible for players.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:38:59 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 28, 2013, 04:51:10 pm »

In the end it's about the emergent stories it creates. If the system is just sunk complexity everybody will ignore it until it becomes a micromanagement problem, or just work around it (eggs anyone?).

AFAIK nobody has suggested that farmland could spawn non-vermin creatures. Stuff like, plump helmet men or giant moths. Unexperienced farmers wouldn't notice there's anything wrong with the plant when harvesting, then go store those spawns in inconvenient places where there may be no proper containment.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 28, 2013, 05:00:56 pm »

AFAIK nobody has suggested that farmland could spawn non-vermin creatures. Stuff like, plump helmet men or giant moths. Unexperienced farmers wouldn't notice there's anything wrong with the plant when harvesting, then go store those spawns in inconvenient places where there may be no proper containment.

And this solves long-term difficulty how?  All it does is throw super-difficult problems (solvable via military) at a new fortress that has little to no military.

The proposed solutions that actually work have no up-front costs/difficulties and cause problems over time if left unchecked, and is solvable by a good setup that may not be achievable from the get-go (multiple crop types + crop rotation, etc.)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 28, 2013, 05:22:12 pm »

And this solves long-term difficulty how?  All it does is throw super-difficult problems (solvable via military) at a new fortress that has little to no military.

The proposed solutions that actually work have no up-front costs/difficulties and cause problems over time if left unchecked, and is solvable by a good setup that may not be achievable from the get-go (multiple crop types + crop rotation, etc.)
And more importantly, is entirely skippable if you really want to.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 28, 2013, 05:32:38 pm »

In the end it's about the emergent stories it creates. If the system is just sunk complexity everybody will ignore it until it becomes a micromanagement problem, or just work around it (eggs anyone?).

You might actually be interested in the Xenosynthesis side-suggestion, which tries to weave this together with the magic biome concept (that are supposed to replace good and evil biomes eventually).  Part of the point is that messing with magic would cause all sorts of life-forms to become magically altered, and a negative consequence like this could be a possible result.

As for the emergent storytelling question...

Well, how much does needing to dig out a space for stockpiles and workshops or circumvent an aquifer or set up training for military lead to emergent stories on its own?

How much does the fact that you have to do these things change the character of the emergent stories compared to if you didn't have to actually excavate, build, or work towards training dwarves?

Part of the idea I'm trying to convey with farming is that it's a foundational building block of how we solve all tasks in the game.  You can make combat "harder" by adding larger, stronger monsters to fight, or you can make combat "harder" by not having steel weapons readily available, by making training military dwarves up to legendary skill levels significantly more difficult, or otherwise taking away some of the advantages that people take for granted.

If farming changes mean that you have to have an open-air orchard that leaves you more exposed to sieges, then "building an orchard" doesn't make an emergent story in and of itself, but it does severely change the way that those emergent stories about sieges or flying enemies turn out.

And besides that... isn't the whole point of emergent storytelling that it's not something strictly planned for?  It's something that springs up from interactive game elements that alter one another in unexpected ways.  Toady never planned on Boatmurder solutions to sieges or that they would lead to burning socks that kill a whole fortress. That was an emergent story that arose out of an emergent gameplay technique that caused an unforeseen consequence.

The only way to plan for emergent gameplay and storytelling is to create more interconnected gameplay mechanics that can cause such emergent behavior to arise.  Water flows are a big part of this specifically because engineering how water moves is something that plays upon one of DF's great strengths in the player's capacity to control the flow of water through emergent gameplay techniques.  There is also the use of fertilizers, based upon either manure collection or killing, decomposing, and transporting biological waste to the farms, all of which are a good source of emergent logistic techniques, including minecarts and drawbridge catapults.  Beyond that, the entire polyculture concept is based around letting crops interact with one another in potentially unexpected ways, especially if you include the part where the crops can be procedurally generated at worldgen each time.  ("It turns out that when you plant 'flaming trouser kumquats' with 'stinky matted bushes', they produce food while only needing a small supply of my mashed kitten fertilizers and water!")
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 28, 2013, 05:45:07 pm »

And more importantly, is entirely skippable if you really want to.

"Bring X with you, setup your farms with Y rotation."
Yep.  Pretty much.

Of course, I'm very pro-other changes as well (such as needing more than 0.52 dwarves needed as farmers to feed an entire fort of 214).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 28, 2013, 06:01:43 pm »

I do think it's worth saying, however, that while I will certainly explain and defend what I have suggested, especially if I don't think people quite understand what they are criticizing, I do want people to criticize the idea and help me make it better.

Simply saying "this idea is wrong" ends a conversation, "this idea doesn't solve the real problem because..." tells someone how they can come back with a better argument.

For example, to revist this...

Eggs as they exist now are a result of incomplete implementation.  Livestock will need to eat eventually, and you'll no longer get your free eggs.  (You'll have to either set up pastures that have enough vermin and edible plants to feed those birds, or else set up troughs you stock with harvested feed... so you aren't getting away from farming by having livestock, anyway.)

Carnivores, in particular, are going to take feeding other animals, which means raising and caring for livestock just to feed it to the carnivores, and raising crops just to feed to the livestock. 

(I cut this portion out of the tl;dr version because it was too long, already, and was just an assumption of extension of current trends, not actually a part of farming...)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 28, 2013, 06:18:26 pm »

Eggs as they exist now are a result of incomplete implementation.  Livestock will need to eat eventually, and you'll no longer get your free eggs.

Don't livestock already eat grass?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 28, 2013, 06:28:45 pm »

Eggs as they exist now are a result of incomplete implementation.  Livestock will need to eat eventually, and you'll no longer get your free eggs.

Don't livestock already eat grass?

Only grazers do.  (Notably, since grazing was introduced, nobody really uses cows anymore...)

Most birds or reptiles are not grazers, and hence eggs are a source of infinite free food. (Turkeys, for example, produce large numbers of eggs with no need for food, themselves.)

Most broken of all, the best animals for infinite free food are things like crocodiles that not only don't eat anything, but also lay tremendous numbers of eggs that never get preyed upon, and also are huge creatures that produce tons of meat when butchered. (Although cows are larger, which is also why cow bites are stronger than alligator bites...)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 28, 2013, 06:31:51 pm »

Only grazers do.  (Notably, since grazing was introduced, nobody really uses cows anymore...)

Touche.

(Although cows are larger, which is also why cow bites are stronger than alligator bites...)

I love Dwarf Fortress.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 29, 2013, 11:27:29 pm »

Hi, just posting to say I'm still reading this. 

Amusingly, I have so far read everything except your tl;dr version.  >.>

I'll get to doing that. 

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 01, 2013, 12:12:28 am »

I have a major in agricultural science.
I have read this entire thread,
and I make ecological simulations for fun.

So I feel entitled to an opinion about this.
(I'll let you know that opinion when I've finished testing these ideas in a toy program)
The great game of Warlocks!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 35