Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mini-mod: Mithril (v0.05a)  (Read 7126 times)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
Mini-mod: Mithril (v0.05a)
« on: January 30, 2011, 05:57:10 pm »

Screenshots These were removed (outdated), and will be replaced with new ones when I get around to it.

--

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3763

Current Version: 0.05a (12:47PM CST 4/6/11)

changelog:

0.05a - polished version with compatability for multiple graphics sets.

0.04b - packaged form available for download from DFFD.  If you are using 0.04, no upgrade is required.

0.04 - minor fix, removed a redundant "smelt raw mithril ore" command that did the same thing as "make low-grade mithril bars" (updated file: inorganic_stone_mineral.txt) - thanks Sutremaine.

0.03 - fixed a massive issue that was causing four low-grade mithril bars to smelt into 30+ mithril bars (lol wtf?).  As cool as it was, it had to go. 

EDIT: Problem was that I mistakenly copied the value of "1" for reagents when the reagents were bars, which needs to be "150."  This version is now working as intended.  (updated file: reaction_smelter.txt)

0.02 - Balancing.  Due to difficulty with other civilizations and forge reactions, added "low-grade mithril" as a prerequisite bar, which is smelted from raw mithril.  "Mithril" in its weapons-grade form is now an alloy of four bars of low-grade mithril.  Changed distribution of raw mithril - it can now be found in any igneous stone, but as a small cluster rather than a vein (it can still be found as veins in obsidian).

0.01 - first version released

--

Having played Dwarf Fortress for some time now, I found myself growing increasingly more picky about my embark locations.  I wanted everything for my megaprojects - easy magma, easy water, no aquifer, and easy sand.  I also enjoy the military aspects of DF, and this lead me to install Fortress Defense.  However, with my megaprojects now threatened by legions of steel-wielding fire-breathing imps, I found that in order to stand much of a chance, I needed to at least match them in terms of equipment.  Thus, my quest for an embark with sand, flux, water, and a volcano began.

Suffice to say, it is very hard to find an embark that satisfied all of these conditions, and the only solution I found was to give up on flux stone and dig all the way down to the circus.

Now, it has always bothered me that there has been so immense a "power gap" between steel and adamantine, and the Lord of the Rings fan in me couldn't help but notice the game's lack of a certain extremely shiny mythical metal.  After some playing around, I managed to get some sharable results in the form of mithril - a metal that is comparable to steel in most of its stats, but does not require flux or fuel to make.  My first foray into modding, mithril does not bridge this "power gap" in any field but material value, but does allow players on volcanic or otherwise non-flux stone maps a viable alternative to steel.  mithril is my effort to diversify the game by drawing attention to embark locations that were previously unfavorable due to a lack of flux.  With the ability to import flux severely hampered by the current lack of wagons, this mod has been a successful experiment in my book.

Mithril is found in small clusters within any igneous rock, or as veins within obsidian.  It appears as a distinct reddish-purple chunk of rock called "raw mithril," which produces a brilliant blood-red stone (if you don't like the color, just change it :P).  This stone is a reagent for mithril bars - a weapon and armor grade metal of similar properties to steel, but slightly lighter, more valuable (mat value of 70) and without the prerequisite reactions of flux and fuel.  This makes mithril a slightly better choice for blades, while a slightly poorer choice for mauls, hammers, maces, and bolts, but these differences are fairly minor.  And by "minor" I really mean closer to the difference between iron and bronze than the difference between adamantine and anything else.

To balance out the fact that Mithril does not require flux or additional fuel, raw mithril contains only a small amount of usable mithril.  Raw mithril must be first smelted into impure mithril bars, which are brittle and useless as weapons or armor (and carry a respectable, but not astronomical, value of 20).  Four of these bars must be smelted together to obtain enough pure metal for one bar of weapon-grade mithril.  Thus, it requires no less than four stones of raw mithril to produce a single weapon-grade mithril bar, meaning that mass-production of mithril is far less practical than that of steel, and mithril is meant to be used for elite weapons and armor due to the extreme difficulty in obtaining large quantities of it.  That being said, even on maps that can support a large steel industry, Mithril is still attractive due to its steel-like armor and weapons properties combined with its striking color and material value, which is a distant second only to adamantine.

Still, if you are not taking measures to make your game more difficult, mithril will likely reduce the difficulty of Dwarf Fortress for you, if only by a little.

However, with the addition of this new metal, I found that I was no longer bound by the ever-elusive layers of flux stone when choosing an embark location, and the addition of a brilliant blood red metal makes my hallways of death oh so much more menacing - and this was what I set out to make possible.

Mithril is listed in the embark screen as a "deep metal."

So if you want to add this metal to your game, simply copy and paste download.

This addition should be compatible with most mods (see included readme if you use a non-default entities_default file) and is fully compatable with dfhack (dfprospector will show a raw_mithril count, dfvdig will dig veins). 8)

If you have questions, comments, bug reports, concerns, or anything else, feel free to post them.  Hopefully this will be the first of numerous mini-mods intended to give metals a little bit more variety.

If you want to use this in one of your own mods, be my guest, but please give credit :)

This mod is compatable with default (ascii) characters and the following graphics sets:

Mike Mayday's
Phoebus'
Ironhand's

--

DOWNLOAD LINK (again)

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3763

--

KNOWN ISSUES:

None at the moment.  Bug and balance feedback is welcome!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:58:12 pm by narhiril »

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-mod: Mithril
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 09:53:53 pm »

Well I am intrigued by your logic, and it is a great idea making a metal in between steel and Adamantine rather then just making a super cheat metal. I also like how you balanced it out with the 4 raw boulders into one bar idea. Unfortunately, most of my modding practices either follow ancient myths, legends, or actual historical things. so I probably won't include it if I ever release a mod. But I will download this mod for my personal use. You have my support and I hope you continue to think of more creative ideas.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:00:10 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 10:27:38 pm »

Well I am intrigued by your logic, and it is a great idea making a metal in between steel and Adamantine rather then just making a super cheat metal. I also like how you balanced it out with the 4 raw boulders into one bar idea. Unfortunately, most of my modding practices either follow ancient myths, legends, or actual historical things. so I probably won't include it if I ever release a mod. But I will download this mod for my personal use. You have my support and I hope you continue to think of more creative ideas.

Thanks a bunch!

Updating original post to include known issues.

If you wanted real-life legends, you could always go the route of Plato's Atlantis and name it "orichalcum," even though historians seem to think that orichalcum and rose gold were the same alloy.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:37:12 pm by narhiril »

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-mod: Mithril (v0.02)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 12:51:19 am »

It is always interesting to see what other people have done and how they have done it.

Like yourself - I have been playing and enjoying the wonderful fortress defence mod - and like yourself, I felt the need to give the dwarves back their metalurgical edge.

For myself - my mithril exists alongside my blue steel and titansteel.

Blue steel is, in my mod, a steel alloy made from pig iron, ilmenite ore (which contains titanium) and cobaltite.  I give it the same properties as regular steel, but it holds a better edge (1.5 x that of vanilla steel).  Ilmenite is sufficiently rare that blue steel is best used for edged weapons.

My mithril, on the other hand, is made by smelting Rutile (the other titanium ore) in the presence of bauxite using a magnesium flame (pyrolusite).  Both rutile and pyrolusite are sufficiently rare that mithril is rare too.  However, my mythril is not as good as yours - it has the same basic stats as vanilla steel, but with the better edge like my blue steel, and the same density as aluminium.  This makes it good for light armours.  But the real value for my mithril is in a second reaction, where mithril bars are converted into mithril fabric with the aid of cinnabar (mercury).  Cinnabar tends to be common enough, but the conversion rate for mithril fabric into garments of mithril help make this sufficiently rare.  Still - now you can give your dwarves extra protection.

Mytitansteel is mroe or less my end game metal.  It is an alloy of normal steel, blue steel, and mithril cloth, treated with chrome (chromate) and again prepared with a magnesium flame.  It is basically a high quality stainless titanium steel.  Alas I am unsure of what properties to really give this metal to make it 'sufficiently good' but I have made it only somewhat better than steel, rather than half way between steel and adamantine (which is far and away much better than steel)

I also have Neutronium in my mod - basically a super dense metal, it has roughly the same stats as platinum (which is about where depleted uranium would be)) but I cheesed up the density beyond that to be about 60 pct denser again.  It is pretty much to try and make blunt weapons more effective, and it is somewhat successful at this.  Reaction wise, dwarves make it with some lead, pitchblende, and ash (because we need more reasons for ash :P )

Anyway - is it balanced?  I really dont know - fortress defence still tends to kill me before I can really make any of this stuff.  But all the reactions are there and work, and arena testing shows results that I like.

sorry to ramble - but I just identified with your own thought processes on why the game needed the metals added.  Enjoy your fortress defence :)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-mod: Mithril (v0.03)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 01:17:14 am »

Fort defense = get a really good fortification built or hellfire imps will hit you like a magnifying glass on an anthill - their fire breath is obscenely powerful.  I love it though - something about four armies hitting me at the same time adds so much to the EPIC factor.

However, my mythril is not as good as yours - it has the same basic stats as vanilla steel, but with the better edge like my blue steel, and the same density as aluminium.  This makes it good for light armours. 

From what it sounds like, yours is probably statistically similar to or even better than mine.  My mithril is almost identical to steel, except with a slightly sharper edge, about 20% lighter, and a much higher material value.  My long-term goal is to "bridge the gap" between steel and adamantine with several new metals and alloys, but I really just intended mithril to be an alternative to steel so that I didn't need flux layers in my embarks as badly.

Plus, I like red.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:01:39 pm by narhiril »

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 06:02:01 pm »

Red is a cool colour indeed - I like the deep blue of my blue steel too :)

I must have misread a zero in your mithril - I thought it had 12 times the edge of steel not 1.2 - indeed that makes mine better, although the scarcity of rutile seems to be a good balance as far as I can see (I usually import more than I find, and Fortress Defence sieges tends to prevent caravans from turning up for trade . . .)

Anyway - I can see we've gone about our 'problem' (the restoration of the dwarf metalurgical edge in Fortress Defence) in quite different ways - I am always interested how other people approach the same issue.

My latest fort is off to a good start - I have discovered that if your first two mini migrations take your fort population to 20 or more in your first year, you'll get over-sieged in your second (well - at least I tend not to have sufficient defence in just a year) but this time it looks like I'll hit the second year with less than 20 dwarves - so I should see at worst two sieges of mostly unarmoured enemies.  Also - a lvl 13 weaponsmith turned up already - so I should have quality weaponry for a change.  On the other hand - I have a much smaller labour force to use too.  Fantastic mod the Fortress Defence.  This time around, I have added the Higher Learning mod (which is actually a lot less cheesy than I thought it might be - a well balanced mod really) and a couple of other interesting things.

Anyway - hopefully I won't die too quick - it can take a lot of world gens to get one where all possible civs are still on the map and available to assault your embark.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 09:20:09 pm »

Also - a lvl 13 weaponsmith turned up already - so I should have quality weaponry for a change. 

Well speak of the clowns.  I started off my first fort running what I consider to be a stable version of this mod and a level 13 armorer showed up.

I think I got your guy's brother.  Bet you'll never guess what he's doing right now lol.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 09:42:46 pm »

Well - I am going to guess that he is waiting for the magma to fill up the piping so the forge will work, then helping forge up some steel so he can actually do something - that's what my smith has been doing for the last 2 months.  The second initial migrant wave should hit soon for me - maybe I'll get a lvl 13 black smith then we'd just need a metal crafter to have the set.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 03:32:38 pm »

KNOWN ISSUES:

"Smelt raw mithril ore" and "make low-grade mithril bars" are the same thing.  .... "smelt raw mithril ore" seems to be hardcoded to the [METAL_ORE:MITHRIL_LOW_GRADE:100] tag.
You can get rid of the metal ore tag altogether. What it does is allow the game to decide whether a given civ can smelt an ore (based on its metal tags), and since you're doing this manually there's no need to let the game do it as well.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 06:05:19 pm »

KNOWN ISSUES:

"Smelt raw mithril ore" and "make low-grade mithril bars" are the same thing.  .... "smelt raw mithril ore" seems to be hardcoded to the [METAL_ORE:MITHRIL_LOW_GRADE:100] tag.
You can get rid of the metal ore tag altogether. What it does is allow the game to decide whether a given civ can smelt an ore (based on its metal tags), and since you're doing this manually there's no need to let the game do it as well.

Thanks, I'll do that!

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-mod: Mithril (v0.04)
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 08:26:41 pm »

Sorry for this idiocy, but do i have to regen my world? I think so but i just want to double-check.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-mod: Mithril (v0.04)
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 10:44:01 pm »

Sorry for this idiocy, but do i have to regen my world? I think so but i just want to double-check.

Yes, otherwise the mineral veins/clusters won't show up.  Other aspects (reactions, dwarven caravans carrying mithril) *might* still work, but I'd highly advise generating a new world.

Packaged version of 0.04  - v0.04b - is now available via DFFD.  No more copy+paste required to add mithril to your game.  Code itself is unchanged from 0.04.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:52:11 pm by narhiril »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
Re: Mithril Mini-Mod (v0.05a)
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 12:57:47 pm »

New version available, see first post for details!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:00:14 pm by narhiril »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 01:12:35 pm »

If you wanted real-life legends, you could always go the route of Plato's Atlantis and name it "orichalcum," even though historians seem to think that orichalcum and rose gold were the same alloy.

I always felt Orichalcum was probably Silver, Gold, and Platinum together.  It certainly would end up being very "white", as the description for it always seemed to be, and the Noble Metals have all been known in one form or another since antiquity, and are often found in together.  Ancient man needn't have had a great metallurgical knowledge to mix noble metals, just great luck in their finding of mines (not found today since they're all mined out).

I love this mod.  The Steel-Adamantium gap was quite extensive, and I grab all the minerals I can from every source to try and fill that gap.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 04:56:01 pm »

I love this mod.  The Steel-Adamantium gap was quite extensive, and I grab all the minerals I can from every source to try and fill that gap.

It's funny you should mention that...  I've actually got four more metals completely done (written, polished, tested) that fit those criteria.  I'm just debating whether I should release them as mini-mods or wait until I've got LFR done.

LFR is an extensive expansion mod I've been working on for a few months that's about 90% done - I'm about 60% of the way through the graphics for it, and that's all I've got left to do before the first release.

Spoiler: Teaser (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:55:54 pm by narhiril »
Pages: [1] 2