Bonobo
- 142 (18.7%)
Gorilla
- 157 (20.7%)
People
- 407 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 757

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 153

Author Topic: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest!  (Read 580442 times)

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest!
« Reply #1305 on: February 16, 2012, 10:37:49 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

o hai! i can has your soul?
Loved all the mangy, winged disease-cats from this round, but here's my final pick. Nice linework, and that flat Persian face was a welcome change from what I was expecting to see. And then that ridiculous one-liner had to go and make me smile, haha.

Pick a good one, Lagole Gon!
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: February 17, 2012, 10:06:05 am »

Congrats Lagole Gon!

That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: February 17, 2012, 02:35:49 pm »

On an unrelated note, I believe FBs have gotten a few new additions in the latest version. I've noted a few with glowing eyes, which I've never seen before in an FB description, as well as one FB that was 'twisted into humanoid form', which until now I'd only seen on demons. This thread may well get a bit more varied soon!

The glowing eyes might be new, but I've definitely seen the 'twisted into human form' before on FB's (but only in very rare cases)

A deserved victory for Lagole Gon, great picture.

DeferoMortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Now you know why you fear the night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: February 17, 2012, 03:06:17 pm »

On an unrelated note, I believe FBs have gotten a few new additions in the latest version. I've noted a few with glowing eyes, which I've never seen before in an FB description, as well as one FB that was 'twisted into humanoid form', which until now I'd only seen on demons. This thread may well get a bit more varied soon!

The glowing eyes might be new, but I've definitely seen the 'twisted into human form' before on FB's (but only in very rare cases)

A deserved victory for Lagole Gon, great picture.

Yeah, same here. I looked through probably 100 beasts and found 2 that were "twisted into human form." It would be nice to see a bit more variety. It seems like 75% of the beasts have trunks for some reason. The base animal doesn't seem to change as much as it should either. Lots of scorpions, spiders, and golems of various types with a sprinkle of dimetordon. It seems to me that dwarf fortress already has so many real life animals in it that we would see more popping up in forgotten beast descriptions.

Uros

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Draw things for me or die 83!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: February 17, 2012, 06:55:54 pm »

First two Forgotten Beasts I ever made :3

I know this probably is against the rules of the lil game you guys have been doing since 2011 x3 But since I have seen the forgotten beasts hadn’t really been that impressive lately and, besides writing my little story I wouldn’t mind some visual help :3 So I will post their descriptions and hope that, if it is against the rules, you guys are at least interested in the designs. Marino is quite normal (A spider), but Kääffäär may pique the interest from some of you guys.

Note: They aren’t forgotten beasts made before the world was world. My story is ‘not cannon’ (Does that exist in Dwarf Fortress?). First chapter should be up today or tomorrow if any is interested.

I hope none of you mind the back-story too much, I mostly wanted to throw it in to see if any of you feel a bit more compelled by the creatures ;3 If not, go directly to the description.

Also, I wanted to include the spawn of Kääffäär, but I think this is already quite a lot.

Marino Klammar – The Godly Touched Spider.

Back-story:
The runt of the litter from a massive batch of cave spiders, Marino Klammar, as most other spiders from the caves, had no name, no feelings and almost no intelligence. Being smaller than the rest of its kind made the poor creature’s life a constant fight, as even being pitted against the weakest of creatures was a fight to the death. The miserable creature had to resort to draining fluids from fungus and sparse fish, unable to compete against almost any creature.

This, though, made her develop a small intellect over its first year of life, without it she would’ve died without a thought.

Such development, probably by the magic properties of the caves she was in, attracted the attention of one of the greater demons that had laid its eye on the region. It promised Marino a life where she would never have to fear being preyed ever again, the power to hunt and the skill to survive. With its little intelligence and simple desire to keep going, the poor creature accepted, though reluctantly.

Then she was touched by the demon, and everything changed.

As Marino writhed in agony, one of the gods pitied the poor creature, pushing the power of the demon away and taking its place to heal the poor thing and boost its intelligence; however the damage was already done. Marino would wake up, a translucent figure of impossible shape standing before its huge and mutant body, waiting for her to wake up and simply give her a gentle touch on its new maw, now an artifact for destruction.

A flash of light enveloped her, and, for a second, she turned somewhat human, yet still monstrous in appearance. That passed quickly though, as it was a phase simply to bestow her with feelings and knowledge akin to a human by the god before Marino went back to its monstrous form and the god went away…

After that Marino resumed her life under the grown, fighting to survive no more, but yearning the day when she would be found by someone, as even if she could not talk, loneliness would erode away her life for thirty nine years, until…

Description:
Two to three times taller than a human, Marino’s body is covered on its upper zone by a black chitin, practically made out of steel as were its needle like hairs that littered the surface of her body by the hundreds. Her lower body is composed of a yellow like muscle covered in an almost transparent flesh barrier that seems to exude some kind of venom. The back of her abdomen has a huge silk organ engorged and mutated to appear like a serrated mouth of some hellish creature capable of spitting venomous strands of the silk impressive distances away.

Her legs are covered in some kind of green substance that sparkles and shines with its own light, most likely some kind of moss or even maybe a natural gem that her body generates. She has fourteen legs, six that are in contact with the ground, six that grow upwards to take contact with the ceiling and two that spawn forward, some kind of pincers growing on their ends to gnaw or snap at whatever comes too close with unfriendly intentions.

An once arachnid face has been torn into a wicked image of savagery. Eight mandibles, two opening upwards, two downwards and four sideways (two to each side) seem to hold the creature’s many massive chelicerae.  In the centre of these horrific and murderous weapons lies a tubular mouth lined with many serrated teeth that seem to spin around constantly with the only job of draining fluids and then spiting any carcass out. Each ‘mouth’ has four eyes on the head segment they are attached to, making it a total of 16.

Skills, powers, etc:
She has the following qualities: Poisonous web, lethal poison if injected with the creature’s fangs, acidic damage if the creature tramples you, steel like resistance, extremely fast regeneration thanks to the acids inside of her.

Kääffäär – The Absorber of Bodies.

Back-story:
A massive squid like creature when he was normal, Kääffäär was brought from an underwater sea to the depths of the fortress where it was found and where it still resides. For some reason this great squid had the desire to consume creatures nonstop, some speculate it is because of the gem it had incrusted on its forehead, most probably placed there by some magician with desires to test new magical spells.

Soon, however, the creature found himself with no food, or that those that he could eat would avoid him like the plague as even animals had instincts that told them what was dangerous… and antinatural. It would only take Kääffäär weeks for his stored and decayed prey to evaporate as he ate them or scavengers took them away. With the only thing the creature had; instincts and desire to live, being tested to its maximum, someone took an interest on him.

Many years before Marino would even exist, the demon that offered her the deal to change would appear to Kääffäär, and others, though Kääffäär would be the only one to show readily in front of the dwarves after his change, one that he took gladly after the offering of the demon: Power, the capability of bringing prey to him even from afar, and to ensure he would live forever.

Being touched by the high demon didn’t even hurt the creature as his form changed into a monstruous mockery of what he once was, however what intelligence he gained made him care little, as form was not what he was after. The monster was after the simplest pleasure life could give you; food.

With his powers he would ensure no one remembered him after each time the fort had to be left behind, if someone made it out alive. Every time dwarfs came back, he lied there, waiting, eating any creature that moved to the levels where the lakes and seas underground would offer the brutal but cowardly beast’s protection, as well as ensuring at least one of its spawn was always in a safe place to escape in the almost impossible case that someone struck him down.

Description:
Many times bigger than any human, probably as tall as a dragon, Kääffäär has a huge bloated body that can occupy four ‘blocks’ (Imagine it in DF  standards) with its tentacles included. The slender form was lost long ago, now simply a huge belly like form with many gasses and openings from which the spawn it creates drop to the water before being bound to its master’s will. On top of the huge belly rest the now blind eyes of the monster, a huge crystal of many colors surveying the land and mesmerizing any that looks at it and has not a strong will.

Its mouth is massive, lipless but with hundreds of small beaks outlying it as it seems to extend to the whole frontal form of the creature, being big enough to even fit an elephant inside. Deep within the mouth lies a canal, anyone unlucky enough to fall inside and survive the outer atrocity that would butcher any bigger prey would find what seemed to be a hellish contraption made of flesh, muscles and bone. The only mission of such a thing was to smash into a pulp any creature that went inside its stomach, live or dead.

Finally Kääffäär’s tentacles lie in all over the front of its body, twenty four massive walls of flesh that flail around wildly, knots of bone, flesh hooks and their own girth making evading them almost impossible and quite painful. The biggest treat, however, were the slits that the tentacles had on their top, surrounded by the suckers. Capable of absorbing living or dead beings and send them towards the acid inside of its stomach, the tentacles were the most dreaded and feared part of the creature, a horrible way of ending your life if they caught you was more than assured.

Skills, powers, etc:
He has the following skills: Many insta death attacks (Mauled with the maw, trampled over someone, absorbed by tentacles) and produces 26 attacks at a time (One per tentacle, the eye and the maw). He also can come back even if you kill it, create minion creatures and form an army if you aren’t careful, and cannot walk on ground, only in water.

[Even if this has to be deleted latter, I hope everyone at least has some fun imagining them :3]
You know, I don't need to hit you, I only need to write something that will shame you for life.

Too easy >:3.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: February 17, 2012, 06:56:27 pm »

Lagole Gon gets my vote.
It scares me....  :o

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: February 17, 2012, 07:00:29 pm »

It scares Grizzlebridges? RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #1312 on: February 17, 2012, 07:14:34 pm »

First two Forgotten Beasts I ever made :3

I know this probably is against the rules of the lil game you guys have been doing since 2011 x3 But since I have seen the forgotten beasts hadn’t really been that impressive lately and, besides writing my little story I wouldn’t mind some visual help :3 So I will post their descriptions and hope that, if it is against the rules, you guys are at least interested in the designs. Marino is quite normal (A spider), but Kääffäär may pique the interest from some of you guys.

Note: They aren’t forgotten beasts made before the world was world. My story is ‘not cannon’ (Does that exist in Dwarf Fortress?). First chapter should be up today or tomorrow if any is interested.

I hope none of you mind the back-story too much, I mostly wanted to throw it in to see if any of you feel a bit more compelled by the creatures ;3 If not, go directly to the description....

.....[Even if this has to be deleted latter, I hope everyone at least has some fun imagining them :3]
Well the rules are there to keep the thread on track :P
I tought it was a nice story but it might have been better if it was posted elsewhere ::)
Next time just put a link to it?  ;D

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: February 17, 2012, 07:33:09 pm »

I think perhaps someone should PM Lagole Gon, I'm not sure if he's actually a regular on the forums. Maybe he just made an account to post that masterpiece?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: February 17, 2012, 07:41:17 pm »

I think perhaps someone should PM Lagole Gon, I'm not sure if he's actually a regular on the forums. Maybe he just made an account to post that masterpiece?

Probably a good idea. He only has 3 posts, all in this thread.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: February 17, 2012, 11:53:34 pm »

Yeah, he posted in the last round as well. I'll send a PM, but if we don't hear from him by Monday I'll pick a new winner :)
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Lagole Gon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: February 18, 2012, 06:08:27 am »

Okay guys, it's time for something more abstract.

My first DF 2012 world is full of ridiculous stuff. Behold, the horrifying ABE!!!

Abe, "Abe"
Abe was a forgotten beast. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic quadruped composed of flames. It has a square shell and it undulates rhythmically. Abe was associated with water, death and caverns.

Deadline - 8 days should be enough.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:11:13 am by Lagole Gon »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: February 18, 2012, 01:47:58 pm »

Abe you say... that gives me an idea.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: February 19, 2012, 05:34:56 am »

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: February 19, 2012, 07:39:01 am »

Abe, "Abe"
Abe was a forgotten beast. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic quadruped composed of flames. It has a square shell and it undulates rhythmically. Abe was associated with water, death and caverns.

Logic at its best.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 153