Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Q&A] Mafia Questions and Strategy Discussion  (Read 3855 times)

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
Re: [Q&A] Mafia Questions and Strategy Discussion
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 10:35:27 pm »

Wall of Text.

A really really long post. Sometimes unavoidable, but generally you should try to keep them to a minimum.

Sometimes scum use them to seem more active then they are.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Akivara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 10:51:07 pm »

I notice that people use that acronym a lot when arguing against someone and quoting a bunch of their posts.

If we die, we can't post after that except for maybe a bah post, I get that.  Can we post after the game ends and everyone is discussing it though?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:32:34 pm by Akivara »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 06:07:08 am »

Short answer :Yes.

Longer answer: The game's over, why shouldn't you post?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 07:44:45 am »

I notice that people use that acronym a lot when arguing against someone and quoting a bunch of their posts.

If we die, we can't post after that except for maybe a bah post, I get that.  Can we post after the game ends and everyone is discussing it though?
Yes. You can discuss what what right, wrong, how you played, tactics, and other things.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 10:44:50 am »

Other scumtells:

Information instead of analysis:  A bit of a hybrid of active lurking and passiveness.  If someone says a lot about objective information in the game (for example, listing who hasn't posted recently) without drawing any conclusions from the information, try to determine if they are really just appearing to look involved in the game without actually participating and taking a stance.

Toaster's #1 Scumtell:  Repeatedly saying you will deliver more analysis later without ever actually providing.  My favorite example is Supernatural Mafia 1, where I pegged RedWarrior as scum the first day.  (I was third party, but that's not important here.)

Comments on others:

Being emotional: Very player dependent.  However, if you ask someone a simple question and you get RAGE thrown back at you, you should probably follow the thread back.  A very defensive response is a red flag as well.

Passive:  There's nothing wrong with being unsure.  Being unsure and doing nothing to make yourself sure is not good.  I think this happens more in inexperienced town than scum, but it's something to prod people over.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 10:58:57 am »

Bluh nevermind

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 12:29:21 pm »

Toaster's #1 Scumtell:  Repeatedly saying you will deliver more analysis later without ever actually providing.  My favorite example is Supernatural Mafia 1, where I pegged RedWarrior as scum the first day.  (I was third party, but that's not important here.)
It's probably weakening after RedWarrior got caught doing it several times.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 01:03:21 pm »

I guess the main reason it's a scumtell and not a null-tell is that lazy people typically don't stick around with the Mafia?

Then again, lazy people don't typically stick around Bay12 in general.

Seriously, what would a lazy person possibly be doing here, and why?
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 01:13:04 pm »

It's probably weakening after RedWarrior got caught doing it several times.

I agree.  It's still #1 because it's the first one I stuck my name on.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 04:34:50 pm »

Keep in mind the emotional / explodeatpeople stuff is specific to the person and should account for all games they're in. As much as they should be independent, the fact remains that the same person is playing all of them.

I've definitely lost patience with something and had it affect other threads (e.g. BYOR 5.5 where I was getting really sick of Nirur Torir doing nothing but blocking one of the town's best roles, and I became more hostile in Kingmaker due to a loss of patience for bullshit in general, or when people accuse me of lurking while I sleep which happens like ALL THE DAMN TIME because of my wonky sleep schedule and I lose my shit everywhere forever because I'm fucking sick of it, etc.)
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2011, 06:39:49 pm »

Posting to watch and remind myself to link this in the Signboard.

Let's make this a helpful resource for everyone, dudes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 12:38:41 pm »

Here's a list o' questions:

• What are Spoiled Spectators? How does it relate to deadchat?
  • What is Bastard Mod, exactly?
  • Is there any situation where use of WIFOM is advantageous?
  • What are some important things to keep in mind as scum? As a third party?
  • How should one play as a third party?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 12:49:53 pm »

I'll have a go.

- People who watch, but who are told the entire setup by the mod in advance and who often have access to the deadchat (assuming that noone can contact the dead).  Not used so much at the moment as it shrinks the potential replacement pool.
- Varies.  Can be a game where the mod lies to the players, where the win condition is nonstandard or where things are generally not as you'd expect.  I'm pretty sure every bastard mod uses a different definition.
- WIFOM just kindof exists, I don't think you can really "use" it.  You should bear it in mind, certainly (basically, be careful if someone says "Why would I do that if I were mafia?").
- Try to act like town as much as possible.  If you overthink it too much, that could become your scumtell.  Other than that, you'll probably have to find your own way to play it (if you follow a previously advocated scum strategy rigidly, you'll be easy to identify).  One of the interesting things about mafia is that overuse of a particular strategy actually makes it worse.
- Depends entirely on the third party.  If you're a survivor, you kindof want to be neither scummy enough to be lynched nor useful enough to be NK'd.  If you're a serial killer, it's similar to survivor except you also get a kill and probably can't negotiate with the town.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 04:40:24 pm »

Leafsnail has a pretty good set of answers there.

I think a Bastard Mod game basically comes down to the game being non-standard with some level of extra challenge thrown in by the mod that makes it very easy to lose the game. Usually playing a Bastard Mod as if it was a normal game will make you lose, but it really depends on the game in question.

For #4 the answer "Always play as if you were town" is pretty good advice for everyone. A good scum player looks like town. A good third party player looks like town (Except really odd ones like Jesters). And a good town player plays as town (of course).

And, as he said, Third parties depend a lot of the specific role and how the game is set up. Just remember that, regardless of what side you're on your goal is to win. A survivor who sacrifices themselves for the town may seem noble, but they're actually playing the game wrong and can really mess things up.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 [2]