Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bee Poll #2 (see reply #209 for results of first poll)

Honey dressings for wounds
- 16 (24.6%)
Honey-preservation of foods
- 19 (29.2%)
Bee Anger (if stirred up, hives stay angry for a while; see post #162)
- 14 (21.5%)
Sting Effects (allergies/resistance; first post)
- 15 (23.1%)
Equine Enmity (hives attack nearby horses (unicorns maybe); see post #23)
- 1 (1.5%)
Addition of Stingless Bees (less risk/less honey; see posts #78-79)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: June 18, 2011, 06:22:09 pm

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Honeybees Buzz'n Beard  (Read 46550 times)

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
Re: Honeybees Buzz'n Beard
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2011, 04:32:52 am »

Neonivek: "Currently it wouldn't matter as only water is a true liquid so to speak."

What do you mean?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2011, 04:34:38 am »

Well Water (and I guess Lava too) flows and can fill rooms.

Blood, Ichor, Poison, Mud, Molten materials, can only splatter no matter how much of it is present.

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2011, 04:40:47 am »

Maybe it's harder than I think, but my suggestion there was to introduce honey that could flow the way that lava does.

Water/Lava/Honey
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:18:42 am by Buzzing_Beard »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2011, 09:06:49 am »

I think honey is a bit esoteric.  Better to support a liquid rewrite in general.

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2011, 02:12:27 pm »

Granite26: "I think honey is a bit esoteric."

Yeah... I'm biased.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2011, 10:55:38 pm »

Interestingly, nowadays there's also the very-dangerous but very-productive killer-bee *shudder*.
Since Dwarf Fortress worlds are mostly unsettled and initial bees must be taken from the wild, the "Killer Bee" phenotype should actually be the normal state.

The "Killer Bee" story is actually less about the bees themselves, than about human expectations.  What really happened is, long before the breeding experiments that made the problem manifest, ancient European beekeepers had been so successful in domesticating the honeybee that they extirpated all the truly wild bees that were inter-fertile with their own.  (And of course they only brought "good" bees to the Americas.)  They then rested on their laurels, not worrying too much about having to keep up selective pressure against fierceness.

Then those breeders found some compatible wild bees in Africa, and suddenly the fierce genes got re-introduced into the equation.  Now beekeepers need to exercise more control over which queens are ruling their particular hives.  So did the ancient beekeepers, but their suffering of a comparable situation has been forgotten.   Killerbees aren't an unnatural disaster, they are a partial return to an undesirable natural state.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2011, 11:04:51 pm »

Interestingly, nowadays there's also the very-dangerous but very-productive killer-bee *shudder*.
Since Dwarf Fortress worlds are mostly unsettled and initial bees must be taken from the wild, the "Killer Bee" phenotype should actually be the normal state.

The "Killer Bee" story is actually less about the bees themselves, than about human expectations.  What really happened is, long before the breeding experiments that made the problem manifest, ancient European beekeepers had been so successful in domesticating the honeybee that they extirpated all the truly wild bees that were inter-fertile with their own.  (And of course they only brought "good" bees to the Americas.)  They then rested on their laurels, not worrying too much about having to keep up selective pressure against fierceness.

Then those breeders found some compatible wild bees in Africa, and suddenly the fierce genes got re-introduced into the equation.  Now beekeepers need to exercise more control over which queens are ruling their particular hives.  So did the ancient beekeepers, but their suffering of a comparable situation has been forgotten.   Killerbees aren't an unnatural disaster, they are a partial return to an undesirable natural state.

Good read, thanks.  Got a link to a source?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2011, 11:06:38 pm »

Actually, shouldn't there be some sort of "Savage" surroundings bee?  Extra-aggressive giant bees, or something?  Plus the "evil" "Zombee"... and maybe some sort of "good" bee, which, considering what the other good-aligned creatures and plants are, may just be flying teddy bears with honey wands or something, because it seems like "good" aligned areas are going towards some sort of sappy 4-year-old-girl's sunday morning cartoon version of "good".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2011, 11:18:38 pm »

it seems like "good" aligned areas are going towards some sort of sappy 4-year-old-girl's sunday morning cartoon version of "good".

Personally, I'm finding that trend hilarious. Especially with all the possibilities for unintended perversions of that cartoonish goodness. Like unicorns going feral in pens and fighting with handlers. Or pixie juice. Or mermaid farming (they're 'good zone' creatures, right?). If there were a titan that farted rainbows, I'm sure some dwarf would come up with a way to turn rainbow dust into a fire hazard and use it to kill invading goblins.

Hmmm. Awful sappy cartoonish goodness - I want to mod in a "breath attack" care-bear stare now. Maybe the flying teddybears with their honeywands can use it. Everyone would learn to fear them pretty quickly.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2011, 11:33:16 pm »

Hell, isn't spider web material in the raws?  Couldn't you have add:
Code: [Select]
[WEBBER:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:HONEY]

to something?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2011, 11:41:33 pm »

Hell, isn't spider web material in the raws?  Couldn't you have add:
Code: [Select]
[WEBBER:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:HONEY]

to something?

So they'd leave blobs of honey goo everywhere?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2011, 12:05:22 am »

By my understanding, if you take a cave spider
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Give it flying, and change Silk to Honey and put honey in as a material, yes.  You'd have to add a reaction to collect the web honey into real honey, too.  (just collect it and put it in a jar at a farmer's workshop)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2011, 12:11:10 am »

Actually, on further thought, "Good" bees are maybe just making pixies artificial hiveable, into "pixie apartments" instead of hives, and collect pixie dust by squishing the pixie apartments into pixie dust and... umm... "pixie guts" as wax.  I want to make some masterwork pixie guts crafts.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2011, 12:29:06 am »

Flaede: "So they'd leave blobs of honey goo everywhere?"

In RL, bees make and eat honey inside the hive. A teaspoon of honey is the life-work of a dozen bees, and they store it very carefully. Near a bee-yard, there isn't honey on anything for very long.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2011, 02:01:35 am »

Killerbees aren't an unnatural disaster, they are a partial return to an undesirable natural state.
Good read, thanks.  Got a link to a source?
Basically from the "Consequences of selection" paragraph on Wikipedia's killer bee page.  The rest is reasonable inference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africanized_bee

Especially with all the possibilities for unintended perversions of that cartoonish goodness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qvMlY_SJ9c

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16