Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31

Author Topic: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike  (Read 53837 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike
« Reply #195 on: March 28, 2011, 06:25:04 pm »

Wow, they are incredibly effective.

I got put up against two BuruBurus and I rushed in and opened fire and blasted them to shreds, didnt even need to fire my missiles. First couple shots just ate at the armor, but on like the 4th one they started taking heavy damage, and after like 6 one was dead, then another shot finished off the other one. I never missed once, I guess you can't miss with explosive weapons? This char only has 6 mecha gunnery, I usually run in and miss miss miss with my gauss rifle and machine gun and such. These guns blew em to smithereens.

I took a second mission and got put up against a single BuruBuru, I just went straight at it and fired a full burst of the missiles at short range. They all hit the head and not only did they blow the BuruBuru's head off the leftover damage blew up the torso.

Only downside is the PV is 500k so I don't get as much XP. I might have to temporarily remove some of the stuff and put it back on once the difficulty ramps up.

I removed the high powered missiles and one of the rifles. It cut the value of the mech in half, lol...

Hmm, now my problem is the guns are too expensive to reload. Haha. Even though I only fire a few shots and take no damage, it costs me like 4k to reload at the end. The mission I just did paid less than the reload fee. :D

Wow, took another mission and it sent me after a Chameleon. I closed with him and fired three times with the guns and his mech was on fire and the pilot bailed out. Now I have a Chameleon, with a class 2 computer preloaded with +1 MV and +1 TR software. Weighs 2t, but I think I can make room for that :)

These guns are crazy good. The game handing me this mech early on has kinda turned it into easymode, lol.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 06:55:47 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 28, 2011, 07:03:32 pm »

The difficulty raises every time you win a battle, so you'll steadily fight harder enemies. Also, main story quests are pre-set difficulty, so once you get to episode 10+ it'll start getting really hard.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 28, 2011, 07:13:22 pm »

I just got a sponsorship from MUGL Enterprises, and told them 'Make it a custom mecha and you have a deal.'

So now I have the mighty Burning Burninator Haiho.

It has Fire Chain melee weapon that is 18x10, and has FLAIL, EXTEND, BURN, and BRUTAL. The ranged weapon is a 13x10 Fire Mortar with BURN and BLAST 2. It also has a Flamethrower in case I don't want to blow everything up with the Mortar.

I think I'm liking MUGL Enterprises already.

I like MUGL so much that I made the company I modded in friends with them.
It's cool though.
It means you can get their high-tech electronics and weapons at MUGL stores.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 28, 2011, 07:45:50 pm »

First win. Didn't think that the game would pull the "reinforcements arrive" thing (bloody double-standards); if I'd dealt with the last couple of battleship hull sections before killing that last mech the battle would've been a hell of a lot easier. As it stands, I had to endure flying around in circles while haywired with eight or so mechs firing at me for about ten minutes. Also, I really want a Kraken, or at least a Triple Cannon. Damn things are nasty.

Spoiler: TEXT (click to show/hide)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2011, 07:55:08 pm »

For some reason the 3d version keeps freezing on me. I thought it was just my other char file, but now this one is doing it too - so I've swapped to the 2d version, and it works fine. Seems weird, my new games never have problems - its only after I've done a few missions and have collected some extra mechs.

Sucks to have to use the 2d version, don't seem to be able to zoom out on it...

-edit-

I found out that the freeze is intermittent. It's definitely in the save since its repeatable on every instance where I start getting it, but it seems to go away after a bit and come back randomly. If I play 2d mode for a bit and then go back to 3d it won't freeze again for hours of playing. Strange bug.

In other news, my high end character with two heavily armed 0,0 Vadels got blasted to bits by a Gigas. Quickest battle ever - my lance mate (in Vadel #1) closed first and shot down a BlueBird, then got one shotted by a nuke from the Gigas. I then shot the Gigas with my superheavy particle cannon and blasted off one of the wings. It then fired the second nuke (I guess I shot off the wrong wing...) and one shotted me too. I found myself back in the hospital with no mechs, and I had just spent almost all of my cash buying the second Vadel for my lance mate. I guess I was a bit overzealous in my selling of extra mechs and parts, because all I have now are a few special weapons that I had stored away on a cruddy stripped down Haiho (with no arms or legs) that I've been using for storage since day 1.

Rather than attempt to salvage that char by fighting on foot for money (no skills in that department, anyway) I started a new one. This time I started with a Haiho that has turned out to be an incredibly awesome mech. I stripped the heavy actuators out and ripped off an arm to get it down to 0/0 and fought my first mech mission with the mining laser, which proved very deadly with the 0 targeting and 6 mech gunnery. My very first mission put me against 2 Doras and an Ice Wind. The ice wind ejected when I blew off its head, and the two Doras blew up in one shot each.

I used the Utility Lasers from the Doras and the head from the Ice Wind for a while, upgrading to a particle cannon when I found one and just went from there. Since then I've made very few changes, just picking up a few upgrades - I grabbed a computer and some lighter armor off a Daum and bought a heavy particle cannon from a shop, and I forget where I got the thunderbolt rifle and guided missiles.

And just now with this humble Haiho I fought a Chimentero (first one I've ever seen, funny looking thing - no head, but two big thrust pods on top instead) and won, barely (it was the first fight that I got seriously damaged, torso was red leg 1 was gone leg 2 was yellow head was gone arm was yellow). Then the amazing thing is - I blew it up, but after the battle I salvaged the entire mech with TechVulture. It's a custom one - called "Ultimate Bolt Chimentero" - and some of the parts on this thing are ridiculously good. It has two size 5 computers, one weighing only 2 and the other 3. It's loaded with high powered weaponry - a pair of super heavy particle cannons, a pair of heavy lightning cannons, and a whole lot of missiles. The total PV of it is 2.9 mil. My Haiho is only 690k, and almost all of that is from the particle cannons. Since its a custom variant, it's not even counted as Salvage so I could sell it for half a mil.

I didn't even realize TechVulture could give you entire mechs after you blew them up. This one lucky salvage makes that talent worthwhile.

That Chimentero was part of a random patrol, this char is very new - all total he's only made about 500k from a few story missions. So now my nearly new char has a better mech than my older one had haha.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:31:01 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 03, 2011, 05:40:01 am »

Does the martial arts talents (Kung Fu, Hap Ki Do) works for Mecha fighting?

I started a new character and tried a Haiho... it's so strong! I looted a few more rocket hammers and upgraded to an Eggman.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 03, 2011, 06:12:21 am »

I didn't even realize TechVulture could give you entire mechs after you blew them up. This one lucky salvage makes that talent worthwhile.
Are you sure it's not from having high repair skill? I thought that gave a chance of salvaging some of the mecha after combat.
Also, with such a high-end mecha, you'll be hardly getting any experience from combat.

Does the martial arts talents (Kung Fu, Hap Ki Do) works for Mecha fighting?
I haven't seen any additional defense(block) rolls appear in {r}-screen while having Hap Ki Do. Maybe having a mecha with a reflex system would change this?

Kung-Fu supposedly lets you case extra concussion damage to the enemy pilot, when attacking with mecha limbs. Killing pilot+salvage awarded=new mecha.
I don't know if it increases penetration, as the personal scale kung-fu does, though.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 03, 2011, 07:17:06 am »

Speaking of the Reflex system, is the Zerosaiko the only one who has it? And can you take it out and install it onto another mech? Still haven't seen any, so I'm curious. I also get a Mobile Trace System (from G Gundam) vibe from the Reflex System, and that seriously increases the badass factor.

My ultimate goal for my current character is to get a Razor Wing (Which is a mech-sized bladed boomerang) from a Picaro, shove it onto a Zerosaiko, and use the Reflex System to destroy everything.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 03, 2011, 07:58:15 am »

My ultimate goal for my current character is to get a Razor Wing (Which is a mech-sized bladed boomerang) from a Picaro, shove it onto a Zerosaiko, and use the Reflex System to destroy everything.

I just did! I found a Picaro for sale in my Haiho game. It cost me my entire bank account, but the Razor Wing is totally worth it!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 03, 2011, 10:21:22 am »

Speaking of the Reflex system, is the Zerosaiko the only one who has it?

Pixies have it as well.

And can you take it out and install it onto another mech?

I don't think it even shows up on the component list, so no. Why you'd want to I don't know (these are two of the best mech chassis available we're talking about here).

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2011, 10:28:06 am »

Why you'd want to I don't know (these are two of the best mech chassis available we're talking about here).

Why wouldn't you want to be able to control an Aerofighter with your body!? Think of the POSSIBILITIES!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2011, 10:28:26 am »

Oh, maybe it was just repair. I've never had it happen before I got TechVulture, though. My other char had 6 repair and never got any dead mechs as salvage, and this one only has 5 and hes getting them every couple tries. Does it only work on the special ones or something? Don't think I really fought that many special ones on the other char before he got blown up by that one super mech with nukes.

-edit- You're right, it is just repair. I made a new guy with 10 repair and hes getting tons of mechs that he destroys coming back as full salvage. Wow, thats crazy. Whats the point in getting tech vulture for a few crappy limb salvages at the cost of a talent, when you could take the repair skill (or the talent for 3x more skills if you were out of skill slots) instead and just get full mechs every so often. I looked back at my old save file, the reason my guy with 6 repair never got any is he only has 2 craft, haha. I guess that was a bad choice for a dump stat.

It's kinda broken actually, these super mechs are so easy to take with my little haiho that I've been flying around blasting them for xp and getting tons of them as salvage. I have like 15 super mechs sitting around. The only one I have to worry about is the Gigas because it has nukes (I finally lost my first Haiho to one of those, haha. But I just made another one even better with all the parts I had piled up).

The Haiho is definitely the best starter mech. If you have mecha fighting, the rocket hammer is badass. If not you can use the mining laser until you find upgrades.

I'm goofing around on a char right now on a stripped down Haiho with just the torso (with hover jets from a buruburu) and two arms (no hands) and a light machine gun for range. The PV is only 81300 so I get loads of experience. I just fly in and beat them to death with the arms. If they're an aerofighter or something I shoot the wings off with the light machine gun.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:16:53 am by Paul »

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 03, 2011, 12:13:15 pm »

Hey, I'm having a bit of a problem with starting out (again). I hear all these rumors concerning jobs, including the easy fungal extermination jobs but when I approach them asking for work, they keep turning me down or claiming they don't know anything, and I run into this problem ALOT, it's rare that I'll be able to convince them to give me a job. What can I do to convince them?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 03, 2011, 12:16:54 pm »

The job-giver liking you seems to help. Get better charm/conversation/ego/intimidation.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2011, 12:29:25 pm »

Getting that first job from someone can be difficult if you have low charm and conversation skills, but usually once you've done one and they have one later you have a much better chance of getting it since they'll like you a bit more. Once people start liking you more and more they start to give you jobs every time you ask for them.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31