Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31

Author Topic: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike  (Read 53513 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike
« Reply #225 on: April 04, 2011, 12:19:39 am »

Ugh, I hated that mission. I tried it 5 times before I lost too many body parts to continue.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #226 on: April 04, 2011, 01:03:56 am »

I barely succeeded it on my first try, hah. My char is specced to be good at personal combat though. He has 10 dodging and acrobatics, so things don't hit him too often. I also carry repair and first aid supplies to fix myself up between fights. What generally gets me are the effects you can't dodge and deal very high damage, like the fire (was full health at that point, and it nearly killed me and burnt off half my armor).

Another thing that sucks are smog monsters. They throw this smog bomb thing that has a big area effect that lasts for ages and damages you constantly and hits you for like 20-60 damage and if that doesnt kill you it also poison you, and if you aren't facing out of it and already on the edge of it the second it hits you'll be hit more than once. I had one of those in the fight to get the third lancemate slot. I save scummed on that one because I thought it was ridiculously broken, so I just reloaded every round until that one damn monster was dead (it either uses smoke or the instakill smog, so I just loaded every time it used the smog).

The main thing that really annoys me in this game are the respawning monsters. It wouldn't be so bad if they respawned a few here and there, but some places they spawn so fast you absolutely can not clear the level and end up just dashing through places hoping you survive all the shots you're taking to reach a safe spot and use first aid. In that cayley mines place (the deep area where you go for the lab) I got jammed in a corner and fought for like 20 minutes just bashing and bashing and bashing stuff to death. I couldn't get out, and stuff was spawning faster than I could kill it, even though it only took me 2 or 3 hits each. I wound up leaving that corner with 25k more experience than I entered it with. Not the dungeon, just that little hallway that I walked into and had stuff spawn behind me in. Granted, I get lots of XP per kill (cheap armor since I have acrobatics, plus a bit of supplies and a weapon - doesn't add up to that much).

Hopefully the author adjusts that on upcoming releases :D

I'd much rather the game spawn a static set of monsters when you enter the level, and only spawn more on leaving and coming back. That way you could clear off an area and search it for secret doors rather than fighting and fighting and fighting and fighting to move 3 squares and check a wall then doing it again because that wasnt it so you have to move to the other side of the wall through that room blocked off by 20 more monsters. You pretty much have to go melee for these missions because otherwise you'd never have enough ammo.

It's weird, both Gearhead 1 and 2 are flawed on so many levels - but I love them anyway. Another pet peeve from GH1 is the way your personal scale gear affects your mecha scale experience, even though it has absolutely no effect on the combat. Playing GH1 I started the game with a set of ceramic armor and a laser rifle. I expected personal scale stuff to net me 1 xp, I wasn't focusing on that anyway - I just wanted to survive it when I had to. But what I didn't expect was to have my mecha's value double due to it, since not only does it count it - it adjusts it based on the mech's MV/TR values. Luckily this doesn't seem to be the case in GH2. (To clarify, it does still count - just doesn't modify so much with the MV/TR values. Still annoying that high end personal scale stuff affects your XP in mecha scale though).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:09:39 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 04, 2011, 02:32:28 am »

While both are overpowered in certain areas and Gearhead 1 has more unbalanced stuff, I currently prefer 1 to 2. It is a finished game with very few bugs left and a fair amount of unique content. I think that Gearhead 2 will match that amount of content after a few more years.

Getting loads of XP by fighting with a toothpick is an example of basic mechanic that I consider almost equally broken in both parts. IMHO it should be based on sum of your skills relevant to the situation vs. your enemy's skills/task difficulty level. Basic mecha repair is a constant difficulty task so it would lessen the abuse of repeatedly getting yourself shot to later repair to level up unrelated skills because mundane repair should not give so much XP for a professional repairman who is basically just doing his day job.

Changes to initiative system may have some ground under them but I liked GH1 one more.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 04, 2011, 06:28:03 am »

Smog monsters should be no problem when you're wearing a sealed suit at all times. Same with assassins exploding in a cloud of gas.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 04, 2011, 12:57:48 pm »

I was wearing a sealed hardened skinsuit when the smog monster attacked, and it still hit me.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 04, 2011, 01:39:46 pm »

Maybe you had a single non-sealed part, like an iron crown, or something? Or maybe one of the parts got destroyed(i.e.was shown in grey)?
Otherwise I don't know what's the problem.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 04, 2011, 01:51:52 pm »

Damn my laptop's lack of a numpad!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 04, 2011, 02:30:38 pm »

GH2 doesn't need it. Use arrow keys.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 04, 2011, 02:37:07 pm »

GH2 doesn't need it. Use arrow keys.
I try, but it's an isometric game, so I can't go through doors. Numlocking is just to inconvenient.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 04, 2011, 02:43:43 pm »

...? I really don't understand what's your problem there. You really just need the four arrow keys to have a full freedom of movement. There's no need for numlocking.
I'm doing fine without the numpad, and unlike with GH1, I don't have to struggle with sacrificing half the keyboard to emulate it.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 04, 2011, 02:55:18 pm »

You can switch all movement to menu. Then you just need up, down, and enter.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 04, 2011, 03:14:44 pm »

Very valuable commands for precise tactical movement are '[' and ']' - turn 45 degrees left and right. A not so well-known fact is that turning left, then right (in any order) actually spends less time than pausing for one turn and may be desirable when in need to wait just a little for an enemy to move but not shoot.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 04, 2011, 07:07:21 pm »

I challenged a guy to a duel to get his Lancemates to help me beat a story mission.

My Picaro is now destroyed and I am sad.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 04, 2011, 07:59:16 pm »

I did a little modding of Gearhead 1, because I couldn't stand playing it anymore after I realized my XP was being neutered by carrying armor and weapons for personal scale combat (and food, and repair supplies, and loot I pick up...). Now I can play it again without pulling my hair out in annoyance. Huzzah.

Heres a link to where I posted the mod on their official forum if any of you guys want to play with it. I based it on that Michael guy's Christmas release of the game, so you'll have to also download his release here to get the rest of the files. Oh, and you'll need the appropriate DLLs (present in the official release of the game) either in your game folder or system32 folder. Also the image files if you're using the SDL version.

If anyone is interested in playing it without the changes Michael made in his release, let me know and I can release a file without those. I like them though, the inventory mass meter in ASCII mode is real nice.

I might have to try modding GH2 with the change to stop it from calculating SF0 stuff into mech PVs too. It wouldn't be much to add :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:10:31 pm by Paul »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 04, 2011, 08:49:30 pm »

I just had the most epic mission. One of the plot missions where I have to invade a lab to steal the enemy's secret mecha design.
I just did that one. I died once before, so I knew the basic layout of the place, but didn't really have the skill do do the mission legitimately. So we ran. Me and my lancemate (who, it turns out, didn't have any personal level supplies) ran like two cheetahs with their tails on fire. I messed up and took a wrong turn, but it was ok, because it seemed we had health to spare, but as we were making our final (literally) steps, a solider critted my mate and she died. We were together for most of the game. Worst part is- my previous mission was to get a better mech (as a reward), so I don't even need this one. :'(

This is why I love this game- you get stories like that, and they aren't even scripted!  ;D

I also have a question: what does "DISINTEGRATE" do?

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31