Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31

Author Topic: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike  (Read 53823 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike
« Reply #390 on: October 16, 2011, 01:38:14 am »

Improved, or at least made trivial by the other changes. Mood is reasonable to keep up, just go to a bar and take some shots. Food is pretty easy since every spaceport sells tubesteaks. It's still there, but not an issue unless you die, in which case you get despondent.

Don't s'pose you know of any wat to prevent your character from becoming despondent in GH1..? :P
的 am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 16, 2011, 01:51:25 am »

Don't s'pose you know of any wat to prevent your character from becoming despondent in GH1..? :P
Comfort food, mainly booze and chocolate.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 16, 2011, 02:25:31 am »

There is also a hotspring town somewhere which you can use to quickly hit max morale for a couple hundred bucks.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 16, 2011, 02:29:14 am »

I might give it a swing. Was having fun playing the first game, but needing to stop to rest and find decent food (which is not always abundant) is taking up most of the gameplay. I find my character suffering from crippling stat penalties almost every three minutes. I can understand presenting a tax or challenge for players, but this has become just stupidly tedious...

Certain food are not made for humans... they're made for desperate beasts trying to survive. Find out what the non-bad ones are, and stockpile them in your mecha!

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 16, 2011, 02:44:15 am »

You know, there is something slightly... odd, about trekking through the wastelands in search of convectional treats... but... whatever it takes- FOR JUSTICE! *revs rover*
的 am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 16, 2011, 03:29:59 am »

I pretty much just throw a big pile of the "deluxe rations" in the mech and just remember to eat one and carry one or 2 (depending on character str) when on foot.  And then eat a nice steak whenever available.  And get a good stash of chocolate.   Then when you get party members, make sure they carry some spare food for you.
For real emergencies carry the tube of food pills - weighs nothing or almost nothing.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 16, 2011, 05:15:45 am »

I just got a custom Haiho, specifically an Ultimate Rose Haiho. It came with a beam weapon from Kirby. In particular, a Brilliant Sceptre which is a DC15 haywire melee weapon that has a Brilliant Beam which is a DC 4 haywire ranged weapon. It also came with a bouquet of roses that shoot metal petals.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 16, 2011, 01:03:51 pm »

I just got a custom Haiho, specifically an Ultimate Rose Haiho. It came with a beam weapon from Kirby. In particular, a Brilliant Sceptre which is a DC15 haywire melee weapon that has a Brilliant Beam which is a DC 4 haywire ranged weapon. It also came with a bouquet of roses that shoot metal petals.

Now you just need to find a matching tuxedo and ball masque.  8)

Thanks for the suggestions, by and by! Now that I have a (vague) idea of what I am doing, I think I will roll another character and make him as non "wangtta" as possible.

A question for those of you in the know- without spoilers, how do you join the Guardians?
Do you have to build up a good reputation before they will accept you into their ranks, or can you just waltz in with the right stats and a clean record? When I try to join, the recruiter tells me that I'd better "shape up" and "abide by the law," but I don't think I've ever broken it. I have failed about half of my missions, though...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 16, 2011, 01:17:55 pm »

For the Guardians, you need to be both lawful and renowned.  Your starting character usually doesn't have enough lawful to join them from the beginning.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 16, 2011, 06:04:39 pm »

For the Guardians, you need to be both lawful and renowned.  Your starting character usually doesn't have enough lawful to join them from the beginning.

Ah, I see... That would be easier if they would give me a job. I've spent the last hour drifting from town to town looking for something, anything to do. Got involved in a gang war for a while, but then there came a point when the Guardians would just mention that they needed help but refuse to hire me.  :-\

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 16, 2011, 06:26:16 pm »

Boosting lawful is hard, apparently the best method is defeating bandits.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 16, 2011, 06:53:49 pm »

Boosting lawful is hard, apparently the best method is defeating bandits.

Having a mecha would probably help... go-go gadget reroll..!

Question. Does anyone else have the problem with the cursor interface in GH2? By default the game seems to work under fullscreen mode, and doesn't allow you to see the position of your mouse, which makes it difficult to select certain options, such as colors.

Also, any chance I am missing the option to display names..?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 16, 2011, 08:27:29 pm »

Question. Does anyone else have the problem with the cursor interface in GH2? By default the game seems to work under fullscreen mode, and doesn't allow you to see the position of your mouse, which makes it difficult to select certain options, such as colors.

Don't know about this one, sorry. I don't use mouse at all in GH2! (NOMOUSE option)

In gearhead.cfg, remove # from #NAMESON

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 16, 2011, 09:08:44 pm »

Yeah I only play ASCII mode, mainly cause you can change the terminal parameters to give an 80x120 display (or even more, but that's plenty and really REALLY nice)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 16, 2011, 09:24:11 pm »

Don't know about this one, sorry. I don't use mouse at all in GH2! (NOMOUSE option)

In gearhead.cfg, remove # from #NAMESON

How dost one open this file?

I would use only my keys, if I can access all of the features with them. For whatever reason, my keypad/numbad don't work in color selection, and the position of the mouse cursor constantly causes the in-game option selection to scroll.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 09:25:50 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31