Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31

Author Topic: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike  (Read 53828 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: GearHead 2 - Mecha Roguelike
« Reply #435 on: December 20, 2012, 03:53:18 am »

Good to see this isn't gone! I enjoyed GH1 more then 2 probably but they're both still great games. Definitely looking forward to the rerelease.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 21, 2012, 09:33:38 pm »

Oh good, this is still a thing!

Xeldrakka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 04, 2013, 05:43:19 am »

Hey folks.. I'm a brand spanking new Gearhead 2 newb, been into the game for three days. Normally I concider myself a good learner and can self teach, but I'm begining to hit an impasse with this particular game and given that the Gearheadrpg's wiki is empty and it's forum isn't accepting new applicants, this looked like the best place to talk to fellow mech jocks to obtain the wisdom of this who have come before me.

I've got a lot of the basics down.. I know my keys, how to get back and forth, how to strip and repair mechs, etc.. so no worries on that stuff.

1: I'm at chapter 4, have in the realm of 50 renown and am currently trashing the galaxy with a team of three.. a God-Dragon Duam, a Skull-Bones Buru Buru and a Wraith. Is this an acceptable setup at this point in the game?

2: I am unaware what the cap limit on my teammates is. I have two individuals with me, and have met two mercenaries which I would sorely like to employ. How can I tell what the size cap of my team is.

3: Cybernetics.. I likewise lack knowledge of how many pieces of cyberware I can install before they melt my brain. How can I tell on that?

4: What is concidered the optimal movement system for a battleroid style mech? I know hover jets get used alot, but would it be preferable to strip those for flight/space flight jets? And along that note, what are Arc Thrusters?

5: The game makes mention of Spideroid style mechs.. 4 legged walkers with turret weaponry. While I know (or at least feel) that the game is still early, when can I expect to encounter one of those. I'd like one.

6: Are there any colonies or worlds where there is extentive combat in the cities, or even in a wilderness locale?

7: Are there any places one can go to do extensive out of mech combat?

8: What is the general math behind weapon damage? I've noticed many guns have an alphanumeric code at the front (Heavy Gauss Rifle runs 14x10), and of all the number combos I haven't figured out, that's the one.

That about covers everything for now. ^^ Thank you for your time, and I hope I have much to learn.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 04, 2013, 07:20:31 am »

I have forgotten anything useful but have this http://web.archive.org/web/20110605030856/http://gearheadrpg.com/wiki/index.php?title=GearHead

will help somethings but can only go so far, hopefully the wiki will be restored some time.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 04, 2013, 10:08:10 am »

Okay, so caveat here that it's been a while since I've played much and my memory is kinda' spotty. Still, I'll see what I can dredge up.

1:Is this an acceptable setup at this point in the game?
The general answer to that is... maybe. How much you can skimp on mech quality is highly dependent on how capable of a mech pilot you are (in terms of skills) and how effective the mechs you have are (i.e. what sort of fancy gubbins you've stuck on them). Generally, you'll get the message that you're sticking your head too far out when said head gets blown off repeatedly. Renown generally adjusts itself somewhat organically and you're expected to eat some losses to keep things balanced out. If you're worried, though, lose a few unimportant missions (just turn around and leave immediately) and drop your renown back down to something you feel comfortable with. The chapter related battles are renown independent, but (almost) everything scales with renown, so you can control general difficulty by controlling renown.

2: I am unaware what the cap limit on my teammates is. I have two individuals with me, and have met two mercenaries which I would sorely like to employ. How can I tell what the size cap of my team is.
I've... actually forgotten, myself. I think the base cap is two, modified by some other stuff. I know there's a talent (or whatever those are) or two that can increase the cap, and I think it may increase a bit if you pump the appropriate stat (charm? Izzat it?) up enough.

3: Cybernetics.. I likewise lack knowledge of how many pieces of cyberware I can install before they melt my brain. How can I tell on that?
Short of code diving, I can't remember. There's a formula of some sort (involving your ego stat, iirc.) but... s'been too long. I can't remember :(

4: What is concidered the optimal movement system for a battleroid style mech? I know hover jets get used alot, but would it be preferable to strip those for flight/space flight jets? And along that note, what are Arc Thrusters?
Arc Thrusters are kind of an omni-movement system, iirc. They boost hover and flight, but (and I maybe be very wrong here) I think they're better used in conjunction with other movement systems.

As for optimal movement system, it depends on the mech, your character, and the terrain. Generally by the end game most mechs will be flying (really fast) or hovering, but there's several advantages to walking (faster turning, harder to knock down, can't get your flight jets blown up -- though you can lose your legs, of course) and there's a few talents (or whatever those things are, argh) that can specialize your character toward a particular movement system (and naturally, if you pick one of those, you want to focus on what it boosts).

However, it's notable that in GH2 in particular, you have a very strong leaning toward hover and flight (especially the latter), due to the extent of the fighting you do in space. So that's something to consider. Though mind that increasing hover makes you go faster in space, too, so... yeah.

5: The game makes mention of Spideroid style mechs.. 4 legged walkers with turret weaponry. While I know (or at least feel) that the game is still early, when can I expect to encounter one of those. I'd like one.
Arachnoids, yeah, they're around. They're quite rare in GH2, though, because they can't fly (only jump and hover) and are primarily ground mechs. So they don't get used much in space. I'm not sure which breakpoint in particular you can expect to maybe find one, but you'd see them more often in GH1 if you're really gunning to play 'em.

Can also mod a few in, if you're feeling frisky. It's really easy to make a mech or fifty.

6: Are there any colonies or worlds where there is extentive combat in the cities, or even in a wilderness locale?
Ehn... GH1 :P

You do get missions inside occasionally, and a couple of the asteroids have ground combat come up fairly often. There's no area specifically emphasizing that, that I can recall, though. E: Actually, I think one or two of the mech arenas has a wilderness setup. Might try trawling through the arena fights and seeing what shows up.

There's a couple of arenas, I think, and some inside quest-dingi. Abandoned spaceships or whatever tend to have a dungeon crawl aspect.

Generally your best bet for some cash granting scale: 0 (personal scale. Scale: 1 isn't used much in GH2, and scale: 2 is mecha-sized) combat, though, is to watch the news and hunt down fungi infestations. They're probably the most prolific and easily found scale: 0 fight in GH2.

8: What is the general math behind weapon damage? I've noticed many guns have an alphanumeric code at the front (Heavy Gauss Rifle runs 14x10), and of all the number combos I haven't figured out, that's the one.
I... don't remember the specifics. I know the xXX aspect has to do with scale (so everything scale zero is x1, scale one x5, scale 2 x10) and, insofar as I'm aware, is just a multiplier. The first number is the base damage, so as far as I know a heavy gauss would have a base 140 DC (with DC being the primary "important number" used in damage calculations). More than that will have to wait until they fix the wiki and the old information comes back, which is... on its way. I think.

Anyway, that's about all I can recall. Hopefully the wiki/forum maintenance stuff will clear up fairly soon and it'll be easier to just point you at that.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:12:14 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 04, 2013, 01:04:04 pm »

From what I recall the DCAxY is just scale factoring. In theory, a DC20 weapon is equal to a DC2x10 weapon. However, I've noticed that, at least in GH1, the DC 22 rapid fire bazooka with armorpiercing doing no damage, where my dinky little DC1 autocannons hit consistently.

If you want personal scale stuff, go GH1. Generally, it kinda goes like this. If you want any of: personal scale stuff, EXTREME mecha modifications, and extreme overpowered in general, go GH1. If you want something that is: More polished, more consistent, or more space operay, go GH2.

BTW, when I say extremely overpowered, I mean it. There is a picture somewhere of someone punching the final boss once while on foot and it exploding. The final boss is typically fought with a full lance of extremely customized and overpowered mechs.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 04, 2013, 01:23:15 pm »

As for the team limits and inviting mercenaries: Just ask one of them.  If you've reached your cap, the mercenaries will tell you so.

Beside talents, you generally raise your teammate cap through missions at the Cavalier's Club.  Said missions sometimes give you an additional lancemate to fill your new slot.

As for mecha, I think you've noticed that your probably at the limit of the capabilities for your mecha.  Try looking for a new mecha for yourself, then pass the Daum off onto a lancemate (you'll probably want to replace the Wraith: while an effective mecha, they die in one hit).

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 04, 2013, 02:27:09 pm »

1: I'm at chapter 4, have in the realm of 50 renown and am currently trashing the galaxy with a team of three.. a God-Dragon Duam, a Skull-Bones Buru Buru and a Wraith. Is this an acceptable setup at this point in the game?
It really depends on your skills and how they're kitted. Can't tell otherwise.

In GH2, trauma is a derived stat:
+1 for every stat/skill bonus
-1 for every stat/skill malus
+1 additionally for any bonus to combat skills (Mecha Piloting/Mecha Fighting/Dodge/Ranged Combat/etc)

Every 4 points of ego allows you to nullify 1 point of trauma; the Extropian talent counters 5 trauma.

A warning, having any piece of cyberware installed will probably ruin any chance of getting XP from personal scale combat.
Arc Jets > Everything imnho. They increase flight, space flight, and hover; whereas the others increase their specific method of flight and give piddling bonuses to the others.

Not really, chances of out-of-mission enounters are incredibly rare. So build up your conversation/relationship skills and you and you'll start getting jobs everywhere.

Theles Spinner comes to mind, Two dungeons and a personal scale arena.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 04, 2013, 04:46:44 pm »

Theles Spinner comes to mind, Two dungeons and a personal scale arena.

Caley(Casey?) Rock has a pretty huge dungeon as well. Though Theles arena is good for increasing difficulty of opponents.

Check on news articles as well can have spinners infested with fungus which leads to lots of fungal removal missions, same for invasions or being raided by pirates to get random mecha combats.

Xeldrakka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 04, 2013, 10:41:56 pm »

1:Is this an acceptable setup at this point in the game?
The general answer to that is... maybe. How much you can skimp on mech quality is highly dependent on how capable of a mech pilot you are (in terms of skills) and how effective the mechs you have are (i.e. what sort of fancy gubbins you've stuck on them). Generally, you'll get the message that you're sticking your head too far out when said head gets blown off repeatedly. Renown generally adjusts itself somewhat organically and you're expected to eat some losses to keep things balanced out. If you're worried, though, lose a few unimportant missions (just turn around and leave immediately) and drop your renown back down to something you feel comfortable with. The chapter related battles are renown independent, but (almost) everything scales with renown, so you can control general difficulty by controlling renown.

Interesting. Not a bad idea actually. I haven't had too much trouble with the fights yet, but at this point it seems the upper limit of what I can do with the current mechs I have are at their limit.

5: Can also mod a few in, if you're feeling frisky. It's really easy to make a mech or fifty.

Really? Go on.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:44:00 pm by Xeldrakka »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 04, 2013, 11:25:58 pm »

End-game mechs are Savin's, Chimenteros (sp?) and hordes of other ones depending on your skills (Roc for heavy artillery, Corraich for flying round in circles exploding your enemies, or the great dueliing Zerosaiko) , but it's possible to win with a Buru-Buru, even the starting one with the gauss cannon can 1-shot many mechs, your screwed though if you have to fight the Aegis Overlord though because Chimenemtetros have big nukes and can 1 shot the weak mechs  cuz you can't dodge a nuke.

Generally later on in the game enemies with AoE weapons are your biggest threat so try and focus them down early, don't be afraid to use your lance-mates to be meatshields.

It's easier but longer to play the game in party-based mode where you take it in turns to control mechs so you can actually control your lancemates which is very useful in setting up and stopping ambushes but does make missions much longer. Also useful if you give your lancemates explosive weapons to limit friendly fire.

Right now you should probably be looking to move on to a better set of mecha, Daum is ok for your lancemates but maybe a Ceres or Vadel is nicer although expensive, of course salvage mechs are cheaper to obtain and you can get the special variant ones which depending on your stats can be massively over-powering. You can taunt enemy mech pilots and if they are damaged (and/or your ego and taunt skill are great) they might choose to eject giving you a nice mech with full working parts after a little repair bill.

Xeldrakka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 05, 2013, 12:42:31 am »

End-game mechs are Savin's, Chimenteros (sp?) and hordes of other ones depending on your skills (Roc for heavy artillery, Corraich for flying round in circles exploding your enemies, or the great dueliing Zerosaiko) , but it's possible to win with a Buru-Buru, even the starting one with the gauss cannon can 1-shot many mechs, your screwed though if you have to fight the Aegis Overlord though because Chimenemtetros have big nukes and can 1 shot the weak mechs  cuz you can't dodge a nuke.

Generally later on in the game enemies with AoE weapons are your biggest threat so try and focus them down early, don't be afraid to use your lance-mates to be meatshields.

It's easier but longer to play the game in party-based mode where you take it in turns to control mechs so you can actually control your lancemates which is very useful in setting up and stopping ambushes but does make missions much longer. Also useful if you give your lancemates explosive weapons to limit friendly fire.

Right now you should probably be looking to move on to a better set of mecha, Daum is ok for your lancemates but maybe a Ceres or Vadel is nicer although expensive, of course salvage mechs are cheaper to obtain and you can get the special variant ones which depending on your stats can be massively over-powering. You can taunt enemy mech pilots and if they are damaged (and/or your ego and taunt skill are great) they might choose to eject giving you a nice mech with full working parts after a little repair bill.

Working from top to bottom.. I'm far from the end game, but I've heard those mechs come up before. Savin, Roc and Corraich are definitely on my list on mechs to obtain near the end.

Party mode is actually my meat and bread. I vastly prefer the tactical form of combat, and the direct control I have over my teammates, especially the pilot in the wraith, allows me to focus fire and bring choice weapons to bare in battle.

The better mecha thing is definitely what I'm thinking. As someone else noted, I am hitting the roof of what I'm capable of doing with my current team, and between the outdated mechs and the lack of weapon knowledge I still suffer, I'm begining to feel outgunned. It's a only a matter of time before I'm outclassed beyond my ability. I've been eyeing the Vadel model for some time, but I've yet to get the funds together for such a beauty.

My character has a high ego score, but taunt is not a skill I so much as glanced at. Is it worth investing in over, say, intimidate?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 05, 2013, 12:49:31 am »

Iirc, they synergize somewhat, though I don't recall quite how.

As for the mech modding, just check the mecha files. They're fairly human readable and can be freely mucked about with via a text editor. Whenever the forum/wiki gets back into shape, there's a number of fairly robust tutorial/guides to GH content modding. It's a sinch to mod up weapons and mechs and stuff, though, once you figure out what goes where (and that doesn't take much, though I can't remember the particulars without actually looking at the files (and don't feel like DLing either of the games right now :P)). There's actually a few GH2 compatible mecha/item packs laying around somewhere or another (yahoo group, mostly, I think).

There's some kind of viewer whatsit on the main menu that lets you easily pull up what you're messing with and see if it's working right, as well. Helps a bunch for rapid testing, iirc.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:51:08 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xeldrakka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 05, 2013, 01:04:47 am »

I will definitely have to screw around with that just to be sure. I'm a big Pax Draconis player (Indie RPG with a generous amount of emphasis on Mecha fighting) and would love to screw around with a mech file and make an AlphaMU out of it.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 05, 2013, 01:57:54 am »

Intimidate is the skill used to get pilots to eject. Taunt debuffs them or something, I'm not quite sure. But yeah, in GH2, max intimidate and high ego will net you LOTS of tasty mechs. Not QUITE so much in GH1 though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31