Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 705348 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Roll To Destroy (Earth)

Yup, you always wanted to get rid of that pesky blue planet and it's annoying inhabitants. Your goal is the ultimate destruction of the most prominent lifeform within sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha. All copies, across all timelines, but this one'll be good to start.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Earth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The search (click to show/hide)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

Intriguing
It's FEF, not FEOF

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile

Sound interesting
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

I know what I'd do.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

mistertimn

• Bay Watcher
  • hEY BOY
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

Ooh! Sounds fun!

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile

Do you want us to give suggestions for the Assets and Abilities right now?
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Class: Klutz. "Did I just destroy the world? Whoops.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Vogons every time

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

You all know what I'm doing.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I'd like some suggestions for Madoka skills. I want at least 3-5 more. Right now I have charisma and navigation. I know charisma is typically a stat/attribute but I didn't find it important enough for that.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

I'd like some suggestions for Madoka skills. I want at least 3-5 more. Right now I have charisma and navigation. I know charisma is typically a stat/attribute but I didn't find it important enough for that.

Charisma (as you've said) for talking down hostile Magical Girls and for shepherding innocents away from a battle (as collateral damage tends to be cause Grief for everyone involved.)

Hunting- the skill related to efficiently moving around the city in general, and especially as it pertains to tracking Witches.

Dungeoneering- the skill related to navigating and surviving the surreal labyrinths generated by Witches. (I'm guessing either this or the above is what you meant by navigation.)

Combat- skill(s) related to, er, combat, depending on how you plan on handling that. Could be just the one, could be attack/defend/heal, whatever. I'm hoping there's limit breaks and ultimate attacks and the like (Tiro Finale!)

uh... well, actually, I don't know what all else you need. Specific things like Sneak or Jump would probably be better suited to raw attribute checks, or would just get handled by RP anyway. Depending on how much non-combat stuff there is, you might want a skill or two to reflect how easy normal life is for the character- compare Madoka (who lives at home and is provided for) to Mami (who lives alone but is self-sufficient) to Kyoko (no home, steals apples to live.) Still, might be better handled by straight RP.

Or to put it another way, I think you only need mechanics for combat and Witch-handling, since it sounds like RP is more appropriate to handle everything else.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

So naturally there I was and suddenly I thought that the obvious premise for a nice rtd would be Roll to be Papa the Rapper. In this game five mid-nineties rappers would, whilst looking after their small child (one between them for cooperative gameplay), fight an alien invasion.

The character sheet would be something like:
Name:
Bio:
Stats:
Love:
Life:
Money:
Guns:

Bio would determine skills and would have to include the rapper’s place of origin. For example, if they were from the west coast then they would get +1 to guns or something, and 1/6 chance of being the victim of a drive by every turn. You could have a French rapper who would have mad linguistic skills but no one would understand him despite being one half of one of the top five rap groups ever. Or a UK rapper who would get +1 to being miserable but would increase the chance of it raining. I would determine a starting skill and starting flaw based on the bio. The available equipment would also be determined by the bio but I was just writing the example for that and got pretty carried away.

The starting premise would be they all meet up to record as guest appearances on XXXXX’s latest dope single, and then: aliens.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

...I totally misread that as Roll to be Parappa The Rapper. >.>
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Yes that's slightly intentional, sorry.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I was also once sitting around thinking about RTDs, and then I realized that there are inherent problems with the RTD ruleset that prevent if from being used in more serious settings without serious modifications, even beyond those of the Progressive rules.

And so I thought that perhaps with a small alteration, the Progressive RTD rules - now named Advanced RTD - could work better for these instances? I've already seen several games adopt similar systems, so I think it's only right that it be identified as a system of its own.

The rules are identical to those of Progressive RTD, except in several key points. In a way, these points bring the RTD system closer to the traditional RPGs.

In Advanced RTD, the result of any action is determined by a roll of a custom-sided die. The size of the die is determined by the skill or statistics of the performer of the action - be it an off-the-wall number defined on the spot based on the character descriptions, or hard-set numbers as stat and skill values. Modifying this base value are two types of bonuses ("bonus" is used interchangeably with "penalty" because "modifier" is unwieldy)

The first type, Value bonus, merely alters the size of the die used. These bonuses are usually permanent, or come from synergy of skills, stats, and equipment.
The second type, Result bonus, alters the outcome of the die roll itself, except for two outstanding cases. These bonuses are usually situational, granted by environment or prior actions of the character.

The roll progression table differs from Progressive RTD rules in that it only contains three outcomes in the base range.
- Failure. The action fails, is not performed at all, or fumbles ineffectually.
- Success. The action is performed, though the exact value of the result may affect the extent of the success, especially in opposed rolls.
- Perfect Success. The action is performed to the absolute best of the character's ability. The value of the roll does determine the extent of the success, but only as much as the value itself is determined by the character's abilities.

Failure is always a roll result of [1]. A die roll of [1] is unaffected by a net positive Result bonus, referred to as a "natural 1", preserving a constant chance of failure despite any amount of bonuses.
Perfect Success is always a result equal to the roll value, i.e. a [6] for a six-sided die, as long as that value is greater than 1. A die roll of [6] is unaffected by a net negative Result bonus, preserving a chance of success despite any amount of penalties.
Success values exist inbetween these two outcomes, unless the maximum value is 1 or 2.

Two more Outcomes exist beyond the base values.
- Epic Fail: Any roll result of 0 or less, attainable only by having a net negative Result bonus, will result in a failure so spectacular that the character will invariably suffer for it.
- Overshot: Any roll result greater than the roll value, attainable only by having a net positive Result bonus, will result in a successful action that will likely cause the character, or those around him, to suffer due to the manner in which the action was performed.

================

Now that was all lengthy and detailed, but the short version is that the Progressive system has its Epic Fail and Overshot outcomes pushed beyond the normal results, has the flat roll bonuses reinstated, but also adds the "natural" rolls to preserve chances of failure and success despite those bonuses.

What do you think? Too complicated to be still called an RTD?

ninja edit: and I thought the "Papa" was a typo. >_>
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:20:55 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 661