Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 705284 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

Hey guys, I'd like some critique on a variable bonus system I've been considering. It could theoretically work with any sort of die type, but for demonstration purposes I'll just be talking about d6's.

So the basic idea is that this would be like attributes or other bonuses you generally see in RTDs, only you aren't guaranteed the same bonus for every roll. Instead, for each roll you roll another die and, if it rolls under your skill/attribute/whatever bonus level, you get a bonus to your roll. So, for example, if your skill level was 1 and you rolled a 2 for your action and a 1 for your skill die, that would bring you up to a 3 (a Fail to a Partial Success by the standard RTD rules). If you had instead rolled a 6 (or actually any other number than 1), you would receive no bonus.

Now, there are a couple of basic ways this could be implemented from here. The first and simplest is that what you roll is what get for a bonus (so long as it's under your level, of course). Besides being simple, it has the added advantage that even someone with a level 6 bonus isn't guaranteed to always get the best bonus; there's still a point to them rolling it. One disadvantage of this system is that, as someone gains accuracy in their bonus-obtaining, they also gain the potential of more powerful bonuses, thus gaining more power on two fronts with each level.

Another idea is that you might have two different bonus level types (say, attribute and skill, for instance), one of which tells you what you must roll under to get a bonus, and the other tells you the maximum amount of bonus you can receive. The disadvantage of this implementation is that it makes one bonus type completely dependent on and useless without the other. Also, it makes it hard to implement negative bonus levels.

Alternatively, you could give half the roll in bonus (rounded up), which lowers the impact of a level increase, but also lowers the bonus ceiling (which may or may not be a good thing) and adds an extra operation to each roll).

Or you could roll the bonus die and then roll a second, taking the bonus of the first die if you rolled equal or above it or taking the result of the second die if you rolled below it. This makes it so that high bonuses high bonuses aren't as likely with increased accuracy (though it should tend toward getting the maximum bonus being more likely at low levels and less likely at high levels). One downside of this implementation is that it adds another roll for each action taken.

Now, adding on to whatever base system I'd use, I'd probably want a secondary system, so that players could have both attributes and skills, or at least attributes or skills and other bonuses from things like items and whatnot. For clarity's sake, I think I'll just refer to the base system as bonus as attribute secondary systems as skills.

So my first idea for a secondary system would be a simple bonus to the attribute's level. This could work with any of the base systems and would work to counteract negative levels, but has the big disadvantage that it could easily lead to levels greater than the die type, which doesn't really make any sense.

Another idea is that you might get a second bonus die with it's own level that gets added to the first. This has the disadvantage that it could easily lead to ridiculously high bonuses, except in the third implementation (the one where you halve the roll and round up).

Or you could allow a number of rerolls to the attribute equal to the skill level. While this doesn't have the possibility to lead to a ridiculous result, it could lead to a ridiculous number of dice rolls in a single action.

I've just now considered the possibility that you could roll both attribute and skill bonuses, like in the second secondary system, but instead of adding them together, you'd take the highest one. Of course, this doesn't really make sense with negative levels and also makes having a level 1 bonus with a level 6 pretty much redundant.

And the last idea I had was that you could raise the die size of secondary bonus die for the fourth base implementation (as this would make it more likely that you would roll above the first die, even if you were at max level for the attribute). The biggest problem I see with this is that you'll quickly run out of dice of the proper increment if you don't use imaginary die sizes, and also it doesn't make sense with negative bonuses.

And that's all I could think of. Let me know if you've thought of another system or have another other comments to make.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Kadzar, apologies that I am not critiquing your system and instead just wishing that someone would update a game I am in to help me with severe Friday afternoon tedium. So much paperwork...

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Clearing The Path Of Progress: a Thermostellar RTD

Hyperspace, when people finally got around to properly exploiting it, proved remarkably practical as a mode of transport, as was the goal. It began a massive space exploration craze, people shooting off to nearby star systems, then to more distant star systems, then even further and further away in hopes of finding habitable planets, interesting resources or, dare one venture to say, sapient alien life? The latter, sadly, has not been documented to this very day, but other things have certainly been located, and a great many things found out about the universe at large!

Firstly, and most depressingly, was the fact that hyperspace travel had the disturbing tendency to fail catastrophically more than 75% of the time on first attempts, with the failure rate brought down to 75% after decades of study and refinement of the technology - fortunately, once one went somewhere through hyperspace, it was fairly certain once could get back as well and not die horribly, and the chance of negative effects decreased dramatically in distances not too far from Sol. Years of research did ensue in the wake of this discovery, and many wonders of technology did they invent - a hyperspace washing machine, a hyperspace junkyard, a hyperspace passenger liner - but alas, the technology seemed about as good as it was going to get, and that left only one possible solution - the universe was clearly at fault here, and needed a bit of adjustment.

Fortunately, the previous research did create an invention to help with that - the Hyperspace Bomb, which for reasons of sounding silly was instead renamed to the much more sensible Thermostellar Device. What did they use it for, you ask? Simple! It was decided that what was impeding hyperspace travel was nothing more than the configuration of the universe's bodies - the paths for immediate interstellar travel were unquestionably there, but going further than that was impractical, so it became rather obvious that paths needed to be built, and they did it by using TD's to wipe out any problematic stars and their respective baggage by basically ripping space into bits and then using the resulting confusion to rip matter into bits while physics weren't looking.

And so, their Thermostellar Devices primed and ready to go, many ships left Earth to make way for space exploration by blowing the shit out of any disliked spatial formations. You, dear players, are on one such ship. Each of you brave space cowboys has a Primary, Secondary and Tertiary role - a Primary role is something you can easily do (no rolls required), a Secondary role is something you're reasonably good at (d6+1, with exploding dice on 6s and 1s) and a Tertiary role is someone you can fill in for in a pinch (d6, no bonuses, no dice exploding), typically not with spectacular results (if you try to do something that isn't within the boundaries of your role, you roll a d6-1, no dice exploding).

Spoiler: The Roles (click to show/hide)

With that explained, one might wonder why this sort of venture is viewed as slightly dangerous, and the answer to that is incredibly simple - each ship gets five crew members, the minimum amount for reasonable safety, five bombs, the maximum amount per five crew members, and five missions to fulfill before they can return - in case you were wondering, no, Thermostellar Devices are most certainly not permitted within a ten light year radius of any populated star systems, and failure to obey this directive will result in your certain death, as you will be carefully monitored at all times through the Hyperspace Array, which, if it goes out of order for too long, will be considered treason and punished with immediate termination. And jettisoning them is viewed as even worse, as they could explode anywhere and at any time if such a thing is done. So, you're stuck in space until the job is done, simple as that.

Now, mortality rates for missions that go swimmingly well in terms of final results are usually 0 to 20%, although such cases happen more and more rarely now that people go further and further away to build these new hyperspace paths and abnormality rates increase. Nevertheless, for anybody who manages a run that they survive, they receive a spectacular lifetime pension and living arrangements, and presumably never have to work again, though murder-suicide rates among survivors are reported to skyrocket if they choose to remain idle for the rest of their days. There are a few exceptional individuals who have chosen to go on a second run after their first has been a success - EarthGov is happy to give them the opportunity, all the while whispering "you fucking lunatics" surreptitiously.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

That sounds hectic and extremely fatal.

Where do I sign up?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That sounds hectic and extremely fatal.

Where do I sign up?

I'm probably not going to run it any time soon with my three games, so this is really more of a vanity interest check. It's just that I watched Dark Star and adapted the idea, with alterations, to an RTD, because it felt appropriate, and I wanted to put it up here to see if anybody liked it and perhaps was inspired by it. Of course, I do like the idea of this quite a lot, and might run it in the future if things work out a certain way, but I wouldn't count on such a thing happening.

Granted, I'm still not sure whether 4 or 5 players at a time would be better - 4 makes it certain that at least one role will be exclusively a Tertiary role, which increases fatalities in all likelihood, while 5 makes it so that everything can be at least a Secondary role and thus shifts the focus of fatal incident origins to hyperspace anomalies, with a domino effect commencing shortly thereafter. I went with five in the draft, since 5 is a cool number and I can't see an actual government coming up with an arrangement as obviously unsafe as only four people.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

So, here's an idea that I've been thinking about ever since I ended my very first RTD. Same concept, different system.
Dimensions:An RTD
So, essentially, the players either create their own race, or use an existing one from an existing universe. They get whatever bonuses the race they picked get, and also the weaknesses. There would be a card-based magic system, with you activating various cards. It would also be vaguely Perplexicon-ish, in that you don't know what each card does. Chaining would be possible, for different effects, and such. Nothing concrete has actually been done so far, though. Thoughts?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

So, here's an idea that I've been thinking about ever since I ended my very first RTD. Same concept, different system.
Dimensions:An RTD
So, essentially, the players either create their own race, or use an existing one from an existing universe. They get whatever bonuses the race they picked get, and also the weaknesses. There would be a card-based magic system, with you activating various cards. It would also be vaguely Perplexicon-ish, in that you don't know what each card does. Chaining would be possible, for different effects, and such. Nothing concrete has actually been done so far, though. Thoughts?
Sounds like an interesting variation on the Perplexicon system. That, and any chance to play another Matoran would be fun.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

Presumably, there would be single-use cards, multi-use cards, and perma-cards, as in, permanent, infinite use cards.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

Guys, idea. How we got here: the backwards RTD. The game actually starts at the end of a story line, say escaping from a bad guys lair. Players would post the action they took the last turn and the entire thing would end at the beginning of the story. Perhaps players might start off strong actually get weaker or something for each creature that was 'previously killed' . For introducing new players there could be a 'fail meter' of sorts where rolling enough bad rolls 'kills off' the character they having them 'pre join' the group while the new player would be someone who had died. Just a random concept I wanted to put out on text form
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

That seems pretty damn cool. Only one queston.
Minimalist or other?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

Honestly it could be both either, though maybe it would be wackier with minimalist
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

I have vague notions about starting up a minimalist or semi-minimalist (I'm not sure at what point it qualifies as "semi-") rtd set in IGYNPADCA, since it's probably the only setting where that format would actually make more sense than not.

I'm thinking players would come up with their own character sheets (there should definitely be a rule that nothing which explicitly violates trademark can be included in the game, unless it's IC player-created material). If they can come up with a creative description of the way in which they are abusing game mechanics, they get a bonus to their roll for the action they've described. Maybe they'd get more of a bonus for involving their build in describing their munchkinery, or maybe such a thing should just be flavor, and I'll hand out bonuses according to how entertaining their description was (I kinda like this idea, since it encourages people to come up with cool ideas rather than spamming the same attack or spell over and over again).

I'm a little worried that I keep reusing IGYNPADCA for the few games I do run every once in a while, but I'm so unconcerned with canon (since I can't remember most of it myself) that I think it's not so much a specific setting so much as its own genre or subgenre. And I think this format will solve the problem I had with the short-lived IGYNPADCA RPG where I couldn't really come up with mechanics as needed (well, they were actually fake mechanics, but it was still hard for me to come up with them).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

Okay, so I just went ahead and made it.
Glory to Arstotzka!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Magical Roll To Dodge Teaching Adventure, or, You Little Shits, I'll Kill You!

Fall (or autumn, if you prefer) has come, and a new, exciting semester of school is about to ensue at the Felicity Gadwall Memorial School of Magic, which, as the name may imply, is an educational institution for those children who have shown more than a little promise in the field of magical arts. It's not the most prestigious school of its kind, nor is it the most advanced, and it cannot exactly boast about having superior equipment or much of an arcane library. But dang it, it's a school with spirit! With a proud history! With a relatively sparse attendance! And, as a point of pride, less fatalities per year than the average magical school.

And of course, who else would be responsible for all of it than you? Yes, you. The teachers at FGMSM. Tasked with educating what will possibly (though not probably) be the foremost magical masters of the next generation, you, the faculty of the school, are given a great deal of responsibility, not least of all because failures in your duties can and will produce disasters both in the present and in the more or less distant future, and if you're especially unlucky with your students, the past as well!

No wonder you all are, by and large, a lot as miserable as can be! But the needs of the time are what they are, and you really need to hold on to this job, since you're pretty sure nobody else is going to hire you in this present magical and economic climate (though you indubitably hope to one day break free of all this prolonged torture through either retirement, relocation or simply finding a different line of work). So you soldier on, knowing that another year of repeating the same crap in front of a classroom full of abominable little bastards you call students lies ahead of you. You vainly hope nothing will explode violently this semester.

So, basically the idea here is that you're a teacher in a somewhat run-down magical school, trying to deal with the everyday stresses of teaching classes to unruly kids with supernatural abilities, and trying to keep both your job and what's left of your health after a longer or shorter time spent here! This is, obviously, more difficult than you'd think, as kids are scientifically proven to get more bastardly with each year, and you barely survived the previous semester as it is. It's you, the teachers, against the students, against the school administration (a bunch of drooling incompetents at the best of times), against the mysterious fabric of the school itself. Can you survive? Can you provide a net gain to society? Will the older students pass their exams, and if so, how well? The mind boggles!

Spoiler: Creating a Teacher (click to show/hide)

And... that's what I've got so far. Anybody find that interesting?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile

Yes, unambiguously.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 661