Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 705287 times)

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9315 on: February 17, 2016, 08:57:56 pm »

I think the root cause of the issues in Looter's Delight is that certain stats are either too versatile or too good at what they do.

The prior basically sums up the issue just about every game has with dexterity. At it's core, I think that issue stems from a sort of dual nature: Unlike most other stats, dexterity can be used defensively (dodging) or offensively (generally aiming, but in Looter's Delight, that's been replaced with dexterity-based damage).

As if being used for twice as many things wasn't enough, dexterity also acts as a sort of prerequisite to the use of other stats. You can't shrug off a blow if you don't get hit, and you can't crush someone's face if you don't hit them in the first place.

In other words, dexterity has an insane range of functionality. That's an old problem, nothing new. What is new in Looter's Delight is the overpowered of Toughness. This is largely due to a technicality.

In most games, endurance is somewhat limited. It can't prevent damage altogether- rather, it makes the skull-crushing punch leave a broken nose.

In Looter's Delight, +6 toughness essentially gives you skin made of iron. Spears will bounce off, falls will be ignored, and the character in question will basically turn into an unstoppable demigod.

Obviously, this made minimaxing (which I myself am guilty of) both easier and much more powerful. After the first generation of characters, the players got the hint and started making characters who don't know how to die.

So, I'm really not sure where that led me. I guess the moral of the story might be to take a second look at what your stats can actually do, and adjust their capabilities accordingly.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9316 on: February 21, 2016, 12:06:58 am »

Okay... I have an odd thing. I want to start a Wacky Death Race, but instead of rolling for each parts of the vehicle, everyone will instead get a full car. The car quality itself is not rolled, but like Fallacy's loot system, sent by spectators, or if none come, basic cars. The stats are like this:

Modification(buff needed?): How good you are at changing things. Increases fixing, refining and sabotage roll.
Vehicle Mastery: How good you are at driving vehicles. Increases acceleration, handling (and thus dodging(nerfed by Sight stat))roll and also avoiding falling to death/stalling while in air.
Sight: How good you are at seeing things. Increases looting chance, hit/critical hit chance, seeing smaller bullets before they hit you and finding shortcuts.
Vehicle Quality: How good are your vehicle. Increases vehicle quality.
Learning: How quick do you learn. Every game done increases more stats to allocate. Vehicle Quality and this stat cannot be increased.
All people start with 4 stat, and stats can be negative. Every stat has no limit except for the minuses(-3, Vehicle Quality (10) and Learner(cannot be negative)
Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
...Oh, i forgot there must be a map. Well, i have one two right now(respectively named Gearsworth and The Grid) and spectators can send more. You can PM actions.

Sorry for the clubbersome text and thanks for the feedback.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9317 on: February 21, 2016, 10:49:19 am »

Sounds pretty cool. I have an idea that will make things more immersive for the spectators.

Since the spectators are the ones who are designing the cars, how about also giving them the ability to create their own brands? To clarify, you know how there are all those car companies (Honda, Tesla, Chevrolet, etc.), well maybe you can have the spectators also be fictional car companies that designed those vehicles. Obviously the spectator will be able to name the company themselves. Let me show you an example.

Spectator: Fallacy of Urist
Name of company: Racer's Delight

Urist designs a few cars and if he's into it enough, he'll probably add some nice flavour text. So, when the player receives their randomly selected car, they will know that it was made by Racer's Delight. Of course, the spectator themselves is anonymous, only the brand is known.

Of course, how much of an impact this has will be dependent on how far you take it. Currently, in the state that I presented it to you, it should make for some fun flavour text.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9318 on: February 21, 2016, 11:14:09 am »

It could be like in Borderlands, with each different brand having something unique to them that is copyrighted, and can get other brands and drivers in trouble for copying them. Also, you could also get special awards along with the general cash award for sponsoring a specific brand, including those outside of racing, like coke companies, and shoe manufacturers.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9319 on: February 21, 2016, 12:34:16 pm »

Or there could be a hidden perk and malus for each brand that's never mentioned in game (but used, obviously). Would make it stranger.
Yeah, this is better
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9320 on: February 22, 2016, 12:36:34 pm »

Need some suggestions for a simple infection system. This will be for another RTD of Horror, called T-Virus.exe. Pretty much Resident Evil, only with an evil computer virus that makes infected cyborgs and robots become twisted versions of themselves and attempt to spread the virus through invasive Trojan Horses and USB Drives. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9321 on: February 22, 2016, 01:38:29 pm »

It depends on a few things, how many players are you expecting?Should the players worry about getting infected themselves? Do they have susceptible companions? Do you want resources to be scarce (struggling to find ammo, food etc.) or plentiful? What is the players goal (escape, cure virus, kill all infected, do some boring job with the virus in the background and being a nuisance)?

Thing is Salsacookies, we can easily come up with a few mechanics to help bring your idea to fruition, but you need to develop the idea itself a bit more first (or at least elaborate on it).
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9322 on: February 22, 2016, 01:49:40 pm »

Got it, here's a fuller explanation.

Everything is downloaded, and everything is Wi-Fi. Resources will never be scarce unless you go offline.

Everyone and everything is susceptible to the virus, because most everyone is a cyborg or connected to the internet in some way, which is the main passageway for this virus. It's a literal corruptive and manipulative virus, like a Trojan Horse. It's just that since the real world is so entwined with the internet, it is affected the same way.

The characters, though, have bleeding edge firewalls installed, so they are generally fine, unless they are forcibly hacked into by the cyborg zombies, which can be stopped by a system purge bullet to the main operating system of the cyborg, which can be hard to find, depending on the current corruption level.

The goal is to wipe out all traces of this virus from the city, and to ultimately find the source of the virus and terminate it.
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9323 on: February 22, 2016, 02:01:24 pm »

So the game is gonna be more action than horror? Something like a Resident evil 4 or dead space rather than a resident evil 1 or silent hill. Just want to make sure I'm understanding you, both approaches are valid.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9324 on: February 22, 2016, 02:06:35 pm »

I think it could go both ways, depending if you stay "cold" (offline, no supplies, limited guidance, nearly completely ghost, unlimited amount of time unless found out), or go in "hot" (online, limitless supplies, complete guidance, all cyborgs know you're there, limited time due to firewall being chipped away)
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9325 on: February 22, 2016, 02:09:33 pm »

Why are supplies unlimited if you're online?
Will you be using actually, physical weapons against the cyborgs, or only digital?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9326 on: February 22, 2016, 02:11:29 pm »

You'll be using both. Nanites build the weapons and ammo on the fly. All you need to do is go through the huge, cumbersome datastore to find what you need.
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9327 on: February 22, 2016, 03:35:39 pm »

Where do you think a good location for my game would be? I'm thinking either Silicon Valley or Dubai. They're both technological centers of the world, and Dubai would be interesting to Roleplay in, but as an American, Silicon Valley in California would probably be easier to GM in, though I have little knowledge of both areas.
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9328 on: February 22, 2016, 03:40:59 pm »

Well Dubai has the current tallest building in the world so you might find that interesting. I would choose Dubai. You say you have little knowledge of both areas so why not pick the area that's more interesting. If you want, you can watch a let's play of Spec Ops: as "research". That gives you a good idea of how much you have to research to pull off Dubai as a setting. It's not too much and just watching the let's play is a good head start.

Were there any specific reasons why Dubai would be harder to GM?

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9329 on: February 22, 2016, 03:44:28 pm »

I was thinking cultural differences. It'd be easier for me to create an authentic atmosphere for the U.S, compared to the Middle East, where the Dubai is, in the United Arab Emirates.
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 661