Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699489 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #210 on: April 17, 2011, 03:51:30 pm »

Quote from: IronyOwl
Tainted can theoretically be heroes, at least for a while. :p

True but I'm a more dyed-in-the-wool, chivalry and paladins, lawful good FTW type player. >.> Not that such a person slowly degenerating into a mutant horrorterror couldn't be interesting, of course.

I do intend to go into more detail, that was just the quick version.

Wasn't giving much thought to races, to be honest, partially because there are no stats except HP at the moment. Tainted are sort of a template in that regard, but still don't have any constant, all-the-time bonuses or penalties until they mutate. I assumed anything unusual, like a vampire, would just have a special power or two to it and couldn't also be a Tainted.

Also, note that Concepts are completely arbitrary and personal, so defining them as positive or negative could get tricky. If your definition of Love is savagely murdering something so no one else can have it, well, that's your definition of Love. It's not likely to be a good healing spell component, but it'll work for something.

Races could just be flavor then. If you want to be dwarf, just set up your starting abilities to be dwarf-like; if you want to be a kobold, you could take a stealth-based skill or two at the start, etc. Or you could go against the grain and say your race is an elf but just start with a pure power build. ^^

Mutations are a result of overshooting too much, and result in getting better at whatever you overshot as. They're always beneficial except for two issues. First of all, they tend to be rather noticeably inhuman, so you'll have some RP trouble. Secondly, they help you become a slavering horror quicker.

Makes sense, but you'd probably have to enforce some sort of penalty to get across how inhuman the character is beginning to be, such as a malus to charisma rolls and things like that.

Something like this occurred to me, but I wanted permanent advancement too.

How about once you have a set amount of points stored up, you can spend them on a permanent bonus? For example, earning five points and then turning them all into a flat +1 bonus to Throwing Javelins? Sorry if I seem obsessed with this concept but I was just answering this statement in relation to it. For a non-related answer, you could use Sean Mirrsen's new RTD system - as a quick recap, it's like if you have a strength score of 8 you roll 1d8, if it's ten 1d10, etc.

Under the current system, that sort of thing would probably just be a regular attack, granting a "Mobile Throat Cutting" skill point or similar if you succeeded quite well. Then you could combine that with other things to get an actual move that dealt extra damage to mooks or something.

The power/effectiveness of special moves, whether actual purchased ones or "I cut off his hands," would likely depend on what you were fighting. Trying to trip a dragon probably wouldn't really do anything, whereas trying to trip a worthless mook might very well send him careening into a few of his friends. In general I'd like to avoid crippling already worthless enemies with penalties every time you attack them, but I might allow forgoing/reducing damage for other effects without a special skill for it.

Hmm, OK. If I'm equipped with a mace and I describe this as my action for the turn: "SC ducked the incoming blow, bringing the mace around in a blow to the knee to shatter it. As the bandit fell, he would then hit him with a hammer blow to the spine and finish him with a mace-uppercut to the face," and I roll a 5, then I could get let's say a Three Hit Combo skill. If I had the concepts of Speed and Fire, then could I combine those with the skill to make three hard-to-block hits with a flaming mace? :3 Because !!bandits!! are fun. What about Strength, would adding that make the attack able to break guards/shatter armor?

I've certainly been thinking about something like that, but there's a couple issues involved. First off, I'd like to avoid massive bonuses to the roll, so Attack or Defense would probably have to be affecting damage or something instead of to-hit or dodge. Secondly, I'm not entirely sure what to do with said values; I don't like straight subtraction either. Third, I'm wondering if dealing with larger values should grant experience faster, especially since that'd avoid too much grinding of combat stats on random villagers. But on the other hand, rewarding the same amount each time or some fraction thereof would at least mean a player's stats would reflect what they spend all their turns doing.

I can completely understand not wanting to keep up with like +13 to the attack roll. So it's basically attack divided by defense equals bonus damage? That's what it seemed to me from the 2A / 4D = 0.5 BD example. If so then that should be easy to keep up with.  Perhaps attacking enemies with higher defense values would yield more experience? I imagine the average villager would have a defense of 1 or 2 at most, whereas say a slime might have a defense of 3?

I definitely thought about something like that; specifically, the notion that characters that are good at avoiding getting hit aren't good at taking the hits that get through. As with you, though, I'm not entirely certain how that'd work out.

Yeah, that's always a problem. If you implemented levels, there's always that, but I'm not sure what a good amount to raise per level would be. Maybe base HP on the character's defense value?

Already done with Hadouken, kind of. There's a lot of different possible answers, but Fireball could be something like Projectile-Heat-Shaping or Blast-Flame-Burst. Healing might be Repair-Body-Life, Love-Virtue-Patience, Regrowth-Stamina-Perseverance, or even Heal-Other-Touch.

So... could I try Mutation/Growth/Flight to get giant wings? :3

...I'm sort of a fan of triangle numbers, factorials' addition equivalent. So, that's actually sort of likely. :-\

I've got nothing here because I dislike math. :-[
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 17, 2011, 05:16:22 pm »

Quote from: SC
Makes sense, but you'd probably have to enforce some sort of penalty to get across how inhuman the character is beginning to be, such as a malus to charisma rolls and things like that.
I figure the more subjective penalty will be good enough (which might end up similar or even worse to a roll penalty anyway). Also, some regions will be exclusively warped horrors of various sorts, so you might fit in just fine there.

How about once you have a set amount of points stored up, you can spend them on a permanent bonus? For example, earning five points and then turning them all into a flat +1 bonus to Throwing Javelins? Sorry if I seem obsessed with this concept but I was just answering this statement in relation to it. For a non-related answer, you could use Sean Mirrsen's new RTD system - as a quick recap, it's like if you have a strength score of 8 you roll 1d8, if it's ten 1d10, etc.
That also occurred to me, but I didn't like forcing players to choose between permanent and temporary benefits. I'm still considering static skills coming out of the same pool as special moves, so you can raise your attack skill or gain an attack move.

Hmm, OK. If I'm equipped with a mace and I describe this as my action for the turn: "SC ducked the incoming blow, bringing the mace around in a blow to the knee to shatter it. As the bandit fell, he would then hit him with a hammer blow to the spine and finish him with a mace-uppercut to the face," and I roll a 5, then I could get let's say a Three Hit Combo skill. If I had the concepts of Speed and Fire, then could I combine those with the skill to make three hard-to-block hits with a flaming mace? :3 Because !!bandits!! are fun. What about Strength, would adding that make the attack able to break guards/shatter armor?
This is getting into gish territory, which I'm not completely certain of, but yeah, that's basically how it would work.

I can completely understand not wanting to keep up with like +13 to the attack roll. So it's basically attack divided by defense equals bonus damage? That's what it seemed to me from the 2A / 4D = 0.5 BD example. If so then that should be easy to keep up with.  Perhaps attacking enemies with higher defense values would yield more experience? I imagine the average villager would have a defense of 1 or 2 at most, whereas say a slime might have a defense of 3?
That's the basic idea. I'm just concerned about doing division for every combatant's attack and defense.

So... could I try Mutation/Growth/Flight to get giant wings? :3
Indeed. Note that you'd have to find a way to perform an appropriate action for each one, however. >:3
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 17, 2011, 06:12:48 pm »

I'm SO going to give myself a tail with a blade on it sharp enough to cut tungsten when I join that game.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 17, 2011, 06:38:05 pm »

I figure the more subjective penalty will be good enough (which might end up similar or even worse to a roll penalty anyway). Also, some regions will be exclusively warped horrors of various sorts, so you might fit in just fine there.

All right. It sounds like you've got it figured out. ^^

That also occurred to me, but I didn't like forcing players to choose between permanent and temporary benefits. I'm still considering static skills coming out of the same pool as special moves, so you can raise your attack skill or gain an attack move.

Kind of like a skill tree in certain games (I'm mainly thinking of Dynasty Warriors 6/FF13 here, and maybe Dead Space's weapon upgrade system)? Like you go up a level, get a skill point to spend and your chain looks like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm probably totally off-base with this assumption, but if I am I may use the idea myself later on...

This is getting into gish territory, which I'm not completely certain of, but yeah, that's basically how it would work.

OK, gotcha. Would this apply to ranged attacks too? Because I'm already thinking of possibilities...

That's the basic idea. I'm just concerned about doing division for every combatant's attack and defense.

That could get old, but on the other hand once you've done it once for that set of combatants you don't have to do it again, ie if every enemy present has a defense of four and my attack is three, then you already know that every round I hit during that combat I'll inflict 0.75 bonus damage every hit. ^^ It would take a little advance planning but I don't think it would interrupt the flow of combat too much.

Indeed. Note that you'd have to find a way to perform an appropriate action for each one, however. >:3

Breed birds for mutation, raise them for growth, and observe them for flight. 0u0
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 17, 2011, 06:53:40 pm »

Kind of like a skill tree in certain games (I'm mainly thinking of Dynasty Warriors 6/FF13 here, and maybe Dead Space's weapon upgrade system)? Like you go up a level, get a skill point to spend and your chain looks like this:
No, more like you can spend skill points to make a special move, or apply them like experience to your next level of Attack. The latter would obviously be somewhat boring, but could at least serve as a tactical decision.

More likely, though, I think they'll just use different pools, so having a high Attack stat and having a lot of offensive moves isn't necessarily the same thing or diametrically opposed.

OK, gotcha. Would this apply to ranged attacks too? Because I'm already thinking of possibilities...
Indeed, though I'm now thinking about how/if I want to stop every move from being some sort of flaming punch. For that matter though, you could theoretically pull off the same thing with crafting or acrobatics. Or diplomacy, if you can figure out how that would work.

Breed birds for mutation, raise them for growth, and observe them for flight. 0u0
Friggin' wizards. XD

Also, I'm surprised how good talking about this is for working on it. I know it's not, but it feels almost done. :3
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 17, 2011, 07:30:15 pm »

No, more like you can spend skill points to make a special move, or apply them like experience to your next level of Attack. The latter would obviously be somewhat boring, but could at least serve as a tactical decision.

More likely, though, I think they'll just use different pools, so having a high Attack stat and having a lot of offensive moves isn't necessarily the same thing or diametrically opposed.

Whichever you think would be more interesting to play. That's always a good question to fall back on: "would I want it to be like this... or like this?"

Indeed, though I'm now thinking about how/if I want to stop every move from being some sort of flaming punch. For that matter though, you could theoretically pull off the same thing with crafting or acrobatics. Or diplomacy, if you can figure out how that would work.

I'll try to think of more interesting things than fire... such as Impact/Sound/Light to produce an arrow that flashbangs on impact. Or Impact/Strength/Fire for explosive arrows, or Sound just to make one that whistles when fired to attract attention... Impact/Mist/Sadness for tear gas...

Friggin' wizards. XD

Also, I'm surprised how good talking about this is for working on it. I know it's not, but it feels almost done. :3

It does help to have someone to bounce things off of. An outsider such as myself can pose questions you haven't thought of, and explaining things to someone who doesn't know anything about the subject can help you better understand your own intentions. ^^ That's how I see it anyway.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2011, 10:20:13 am »

Wow, Irony, you got everyone flocking to your RTD about as fast as I did with less starting information than I had to boot. :P

You'd better reserve me or at least give me a warning when starting it or I'll go Earth on your ass. :P
same here.

I'm SO going to give myself a tail with a blade on it sharp enough to cut tungsten when I join that game.
Hmm... ideas...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2011, 10:41:10 am »

That reminds me, in your RTD Tarran, you are so in trouble for calling the captain's armor tungsten instead of its much cooler name. Wolfram.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2011, 10:42:14 am »

That reminds me, in your RTD Tarran, you are so in trouble for calling the captain's armor tungsten instead of its much cooler name. Wolfram.
i know  :D but never, EVER say that your GM is in trouble. (especially if it's me  :P)
[/kidding]
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2011, 10:59:56 am »

Mutually assured destruction, I'm his GM and he's Mine. It gives me a bit of insurance.  ;)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2011, 11:01:20 am »

same here.
erm... except that I am about 25 peoples' GM, and some of them are double  :P
>:D
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 18, 2011, 11:02:01 am »

Note to self: kill draignean

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2011, 11:18:13 am »

Note to self: kill draignean

My bum shall destroy you!

wait, what?
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2011, 12:51:02 pm »

I personally think Tungsten sounds cooler. So nah! Unless you want to literally fight the Earth, you aren't getting me to change it. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2011, 02:13:23 pm »

I think my next action shall be " engrave some smart stuff on the armor and call it "tungsten beta""
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 661