Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699515 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1770 on: November 05, 2011, 01:22:23 am »

Sounds interesting. Mix 'n match elements to create more elements and fling them at your enemies? Yes please.

Well, sort of. You can't just call your fire fury and start hurling fireballs, you have to have a source of heat. If you're strong enough you can concentrate ambient or personal heat to create blooms of flame, but that takes real power.

Think them more as letting you effect an element rather than create the manifestation of said element. For instance wood could let move softly over six inches of crackly twigs, let you shoot wooden arrows with incredible accuracy, or make really awesome window frames. It couldn't however create a tree where no seed has fallen, and even if you have a seed to work from it still requires vast amounts of water and nutrients for you to instill hypergrowth in it. However with wood (to manipulate the plant), earth (to draw up nutrients from the soil), and water (to call water from the earth) it would become much more possible.

In the example of the steampunk take your simple steam cannon. Furies that could possibly effect the weapon itself would probably be water, fire, and metal. Possible air.

It should be noted that even if you don't have a fury bonded in a particular field doesn't mean you can't work in it, it just means it's going to be a great deal harder.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: November 05, 2011, 01:24:46 am »

So it's kinda like bending in Avatar the last airbender, except everyone can be the avatar and there is a (Widespread) metal element.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: November 05, 2011, 01:27:22 am »

So it's kinda like bending in Avatar the last airbender, except everyone can be the avatar and there is a (Widespread) metal element.

You lost me at Avatar.

Wouldn't call metal widespread, at least anymore than any of the others.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: November 05, 2011, 01:28:53 am »

*shrug*

In any case, it sounds interesting. I'd play it.

I would also like to call a preemptive IN if that's possible. I'm not in enough RTD's these days.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: November 05, 2011, 01:29:28 am »

I'd prefer this:
http://xkcd.com/965/
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: November 05, 2011, 01:30:16 am »

*shrug*

I would also like to call a preemptive IN if that's possible. I'm not in enough RTD's these days.

This is my exact sentiments <.<
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: November 05, 2011, 01:31:51 am »

*shrug*

This is my exact sentiments <.<

Well I'd like to call IN too but I've no idea who'd host it.
---

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: November 05, 2011, 01:42:08 am »

Well if someone does do it (I thought you were gonna, draig) then I am going to IN
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: November 05, 2011, 08:49:49 am »

Started writing RTD, ran out of inspiration again. So, ideas?

I may be a bit too picky about this. >_>
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: November 05, 2011, 09:25:31 am »

Which idea are you working from?

Well if someone does do it (I thought you were gonna, draig) then I am going to IN

Hell I've already got two... No wait, Wraith has been inactive for sixty days. Probably safe to say it's dead.

...Which makes me a bachelor as far as RTD GMship goes.
Damn.
---

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: November 05, 2011, 10:19:34 am »

Which idea are you working from?
I'm not working on any idea because nothing seems to work out. >_<
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: November 05, 2011, 12:25:08 pm »

...Which makes me a bachelor as far as RTD GMship goes.
Damn.
Not necessarily. Depending on your willpower and free time, one RTD could already be exhausting to GM. And considering Wraith and Imperfect dying, I have a feeling that D22 is the extent of your current abilities, and/or free time.

...Either that or you're just forgetful. Pick your poison. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1782 on: November 05, 2011, 12:52:44 pm »

Anyone around here ever considered running an Endless RTD?

I'm imagining an RTD that not only has a waiting list for players, but for GMs too. Whenever one GM gets bored of the RTD, they just pass it off to anyone else who wants to take over. Then, they can take the story in any direction they want. It would just keep going on forever, with players and GMs cycling in and out as time went on.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: November 05, 2011, 01:02:25 pm »

I assume it would be like a miniature repeat of RTD wars, except not at all.

It would devolve into gibberish a few moments after someone like (someone who is not that good at GMing but doesn't realize it and we're all kinda too polite to say it) got the lead.

If it was consistently passed around good-adequate GM's, then yeah, it would work, possibly brilliantly. But also once GM's switch over, any fore planning is lost and the plot is thrown into a bit of disarray, unless you keep an internally consistent set of notes and pass it around. That is not counting the fact that new GM's would have to re-read the thread to figure out whats going on and what to do next.

From a non-RTD standpoint, its like handing the authorship of Harry Potter to a random fan of it partway through book two then repeating that process indefinitely. He might be a great writer, or she might be the author of My Immortal levels of shit-fic.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. It's just that it has much more potential to erupt into a complete disaster than a regular RTD. Less so than the mess mentioned above, but still.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 01:06:25 pm by dermonster »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1784 on: November 05, 2011, 01:09:07 pm »

I'd imagine that each GM, when done, would write a paragraph-long summary of everything that happened during their turn. And the way I imagine the story working is in an episodic way. That is, there may be an overarching plot, but each GM's turn is essentially self-contained. It's just like a large rotating panel of writers writing for a TV show.

I just want to see how long we could keep the damned thing alive. :P
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 661