Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702251 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2220 on: November 21, 2011, 03:39:29 pm »

I second that. While six to eight is usual for the bigger RTD's, for first-timers a smaller number of players means quicker updates means more opportunities to improve on yourself.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: November 21, 2011, 03:47:32 pm »

Yeah, I wouldn't go more than 5 players. Fewer players = less bookkeeping + less waiting on actions = more playing.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: November 21, 2011, 03:50:46 pm »

Indeed. You can always raise the cap as you get more confident, or you can keep it low. One of the perks of being a GM. :3
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: November 21, 2011, 03:53:22 pm »

Indeed. You can always raise the cap as you get more confident, or you can keep it low. One of the perks of being a GM. :3

Mmmm, but people get mightily upset if you accept 8 but then decide you can only handle 4.
At least I imagine they would, I've never actually seen that happen.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: November 21, 2011, 03:54:26 pm »

Mmmm, but people get mightily upset if you accept 8 but then decide you can only handle 4.

Usually when that happens they just become unhappy and let the RTD die a painful death.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: November 21, 2011, 03:55:49 pm »

Which is another benefit of a low initial cap; no such problems.

Also, you don't have to remove people immediately. You could just wait until somebody gets killed of ad then simply not replace them.

Usually when that happens they just become unhappy and let the RTD die a painful death.
*insert unhappy thoughts joke*

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: November 21, 2011, 03:56:55 pm »

Well here is the finished Ranger's Apprentice RTD

Spoiler: Intro (click to show/hide)

I also have part of the Character Sheet finished

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stealth (click to show/hide)

I also have several maps I have found for the world, and that is it, the finished product :).

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: November 21, 2011, 03:57:51 pm »

Like a flash of inspiration, I suddenly realize that my next RTD (after MKWRTD or during its next break if it ever has one?) must be an Animal Crossing RTD.

So many shenanigans! And clearly defined goals for the players, plus plenty of sidequests.

...and then I realize I tend to only make RTDs about light-hearted, fun, simple video games.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: November 21, 2011, 03:58:48 pm »

Ranger's Apprentice? That series with the one evil lord dude who gets shivved by the apprentice knight who throws himself at the man's horse?

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: November 21, 2011, 03:59:32 pm »

*snip*

How does one choose or level up skills?

Like a flash of inspiration, I suddenly realize that my next RTD (after MKWRTD or during its next break if it ever has one?) must be an Animal Crossing RTD.

So many shenanigans! And clearly defined goals for the players, plus plenty of sidequests.

...and then I realize I tend to only make RTDs about light-hearted, fun, simple video games.
OH GOG DON'T FORGET TO PRESS SAVE OR WE'LL BE DOOMED.

>Everybody: Suffer endless nagging from Resetti.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: November 21, 2011, 04:01:28 pm »

I would finally be able to fulfill my secret fantasies of becoming an angry, low-poly mole whose furious curses are limited to the judgement of the ESRB.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: November 21, 2011, 04:02:08 pm »

Ranger's Apprentice? That series with the one evil lord dude who gets shivved by the apprentice knight who throws himself at the man's horse?
Well that is only the second book, but yeah.

How does one choose or level up skills?

Skills will be improved during the Beginning by your choices of what to do during training each day, but afterwards they will go up a rank if used, or trained enough, or if you do some amazing feat that involves that skill.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: November 21, 2011, 04:02:52 pm »

I have to draw loface-mole now.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: November 21, 2011, 04:09:29 pm »

Personally I'd recommend four for a first RTD, it can work spectacularly well and it ensures that you can handle a more complex system without bogging too badly.

I did 6 for my first and now find only doing 4 players is exceedingly pleasant. You get to spend more time on it per player, it's simpler, etc etc. I would second the four suggestion a hundred times.

Oh gosh, when?!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: November 21, 2011, 04:11:06 pm »

And yet, 6 is far more perfect.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 661