Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702306 times)

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3330 on: January 21, 2012, 02:49:04 am »

I don't know about RTDs, but usually co-dming is done best by having one DM tell the story, and the other do the actions.
I've met some DMs IRL (ghasp) that struggle at certain aspects of the game, and will unabashedly call on someone else to run the parts they aren't good at. All is for the sake of the fun and the story.

Online though... Would require a lot of extra work, simply in cooperating to keep everything updated and running correctly, let alone actually doing turns regularly (because some people just cannot keep a schedule.)

On an entirely unrelated note, Gat, when are you going to get around to updating your RTRTD?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3331 on: January 21, 2012, 04:57:22 am »

I've met some DMs IRL (ghasp)
Tabletop games played on... a tabletop?! MADNESS
On an entirely unrelated note, Gat, when are you going to get around to updating your RTRTD?
When I'm not running a different one.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: January 21, 2012, 11:34:53 am »

Well, thanks for the info, you guys. Just to elaborate, I'm planning on doing this with a friend I know IRL. We both have Steam and each other's phone numbers, and we usually don't go more than two days without being in contact.

I think know how painful getting someone to commit to something over the net can be. Heck, sometimes people can't get around to answering PMs. So yeah.

The reason I'm planning on doing this is because my creativity and ability to create a good plot is not as great as my friend's, but his, eh... grammar abilities are not exactly up to par. So, we were both planning on contributing to plot, with him being the mastermind, and me rephrasing everything he types up in a nicer way.

Hopefully, if we do it, it doesn't all go to hell like the previous attempts. And if it does, I hope everyone gets a good laugh out of it first.  :D

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3333 on: January 21, 2012, 03:19:47 pm »

A RtD. Based on Pikmin. Think about it.

A race for treasure, with players playing as captains controlling sentient plant-things in a quest to kill everything that is not a Pikmin and sell its corpse and/or loot for profit.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: January 21, 2012, 10:26:35 pm »

A RtD. Based on Pikmin. Think about it.

A race for treasure, with players playing as captains controlling sentient plant-things in a quest to kill everything that is not a Pikmin and sell its corpse and/or loot for profit.
Only thing is, one of the attractive factors of RtD is being able to do whatever you want. If you based it off of Pikmin and followed the basic rules of the game, it would probably get a bit monotonous.
Not that it isn't a good idea. I don't think a Pikmin RtD has ever been done.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:12:22 pm by Nighthawk »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: January 24, 2012, 03:58:56 am »

Seriously considering running that "guide the adventurers as spirits" RTD I mentioned, just need to work the specifics out. In other news...

Warhammer: Chapter Master RTD

To be a space marine is to be the Emperor's angel of death, to strike fear into the enemies into humanity and crush them utterly. But no marine, no astartes, stand alone. He has his chapter, his comrades in arms to aid him in battle. Leading these invincible warriors are the chapter masters, chosen for their experience and charisma....blah blah blah.

The game would pretty much be about operating a newly founded chapter and going about the daily issues...Training, recruitment, worship, protecting, plotting, falling to chaos...Things like that. Actually, it might be a better idea to make it a normal forum game...
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: January 24, 2012, 04:36:21 am »

Warhammer games would be hard to make just because of the sheer complexity of the in-verse lore, and metagame.
Also: It wouldn't be as cool if everyone had to be the same group, even though it would make it harder.
I think being able to, as an example, have an orc, a genestealer, and an adeptus chapter head in the same game would be awesome. Even if they never actually worked together.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: January 29, 2012, 09:53:23 pm »

You know what could be awesome? Prequel RTD. It'd be like a peasant adventure but more soul-crushing and less wacky, with players playing as nobodies trying to suck less but mostly failing at it or advancing rather slowly. Though, I'm actually not positive it'd be best as an RTD. I'm just not sure what else it would be, other than freeform GMing.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: January 29, 2012, 09:58:25 pm »

It would also be an oblivion RTD, which is kinda complicated.

Still hopin' for the Zelda RTD.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: January 29, 2012, 10:00:24 pm »

There's no reason it has to be complicated, especially if we're mostly concerning ourselves with the very lower end of it.

Also, maybe you should make a Zelda RTD yourself?
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: January 29, 2012, 10:02:24 pm »

*Whistles and walks out slowly in an obviously nonchalant manner.*
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

lopocozo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: January 29, 2012, 10:04:34 pm »

as just thinking that too. exept with the cold war escalating in a modern setting, the massive new military budget of the US causing a depresion, and you being evicted and the game starting with the one dude with all the forms to sign that say you no longer own anything showing up at your door.
Oh, and another space race.
And the player being encouraged to lose his mind.
And it being a forum game with sucsees determined by the rolling of dice.
So nothing like that really.

Wow, triple ninja'd.
Generation 12 The First time you see this copy it into your sig and add one. Social experiment.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: January 29, 2012, 10:13:08 pm »

*Whistles and walks out slowly in an obviously nonchalant manner.*
C'mon, it'll be awesome. You know you want to. Kind of.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: January 29, 2012, 10:14:26 pm »

I don't know how.

Because obviously all of you guys keep detailed notes laying around about dungeon layouts, potential loot, and semi-winged plot.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: January 29, 2012, 10:20:13 pm »

I don't know how.

Because obviously all of you guys keep detailed notes laying around about dungeon layouts, potential loot, and semi-winged plot.
Ahahahahahaha!

Seriously though, quit stalling. If you can pull actions out of your ass as a player, you can pull reactions out of your ass as a GM.

Case in point:

Enter Shadow Temple

Grab the bomb off the shopkeeper's shelf, laugh at him, and run for it!

Jump over the seed or whatever it's spitting at me and stab it in its soft, trumpet-mouthed face!

Tell me you didn't immediately start thinking of possible outcomes for all of those. You're halfway to GMing already!
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 661