Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702198 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3645 on: March 14, 2012, 05:53:44 pm »

^^^ That does seem angry. ...Is it?
...No.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3646 on: March 14, 2012, 05:54:36 pm »

...Argh, I think Gatloes' view is corrupting mine! D:

No seems angry too! Brain bleach, brain bleeeeach!

* Skyrunner dashes off.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: March 14, 2012, 06:02:01 pm »

Ha ha. Rah. Rah. I fooled you. Rah. Rah. I really am angryface. Rah. Rah.

Really, if I was mad I would have slammed the tectonic plates against another harder.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3648 on: March 14, 2012, 06:06:52 pm »

......Wait, did /me just work?

...I am so confused.

EDIT : Apparently me in []s is a code.
* Tarran is not actually angry at all.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:19:11 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: March 14, 2012, 06:18:51 pm »

* dermonster says what?

Holy shit. How did we not know that!?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: March 14, 2012, 06:32:33 pm »

For years I thought it was an ancient tradition to red your text and put an asterisk next to it when you're roleplaying.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3651 on: March 14, 2012, 07:53:17 pm »

^^^ That does seem angry. ...Is it?
...No.
The fact that the way you talk constantly makes people think you're angry pretty much sums it up. That argument over your RtD concept lasted a lot longer than it needed to, simply because you did a lot of arguing and very little explaining. People gave you constructive criticism, and you responded with nothing constructive of your own, just defensive hostility. And then it became an argument.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: March 14, 2012, 08:15:03 pm »

* Powder Miner wonders about the plausibility of a game with like element kingdoms (I've made this up along time ago and its NOT BASED UPON AVATAR ARGLEBLARGLE)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: March 14, 2012, 08:28:59 pm »

And I had thought that we were done arguing. I guess not.

That argument over your RtD concept lasted a lot longer than it needed to, simply because you did a lot of arguing and very little explaining.
That's because I'm pretty sure nobody asked questions. I see only a few question marks by you and Drag. I'm pretty sure I answered all of them.

On the other hand, I never got many responses for mine.

People gave you constructive criticism, and you responded with nothing constructive of your own, just defensive hostility. And then it became an argument.
I don't get what you mean by nothing constructive. I gave my reasoning and my opinion and why I'm doing X and not Y. What else was I to add?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3654 on: March 14, 2012, 08:51:10 pm »

Trust me Terrin, I'm more bored of the argument than you are.

If you want to make a story where the players don't necessarily make an impact on the big picture, that's fine. In the end, it's all about flavor. Remove all of the reminders to the players that they're just normal soldiers, and they become the focus of the story again. It doesn't play differently either way. But nonetheless, the story must progress and scale up, approaching a climax toward the end. Make that climax matter to the players, and you've done your job.

Does that fit with what you want to do?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: March 14, 2012, 09:06:58 pm »

Trust me Terrin, I'm more bored of the argument than you are.
If you say so, Batleo.

If you want to make a story where the players don't necessarily make an impact on the big picture, that's fine. In the end, it's all about flavor. Remove all of the reminders to the players that they're just normal soldiers, and they become the focus of the story again.
Did I say they were not going to be the focus of the story? I say in a curious voice because apparently everyone needs that.

It doesn't play differently either way. But nonetheless, the story must progress and scale up, approaching a climax toward the end. Make that climax matter to the players, and you've done your job.

Does that fit with what you want to do?
Yes, it does.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:08:34 pm by Tarran »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: March 14, 2012, 09:10:22 pm »

* SerCon wonders if Gatleos is perhaps taking reservations on that sidekick RTD he was talking about while also testing the whole 'me' command thing.

That might be a good way to denote actions in RTDs, come to think of it... as long as no one uses the color red for their character's speech/thoughts.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: March 14, 2012, 09:13:17 pm »

And I had thought that we were done arguing. I guess not.

That argument over your RtD concept lasted a lot longer than it needed to, simply because you did a lot of arguing and very little explaining.
That's because I'm pretty sure nobody asked questions. I see only a few question marks by you and Drag. I'm pretty sure I answered all of them.

On the other hand, I never got many responses for mine.

People gave you constructive criticism, and you responded with nothing constructive of your own, just defensive hostility. And then it became an argument.
I don't get what you mean by nothing constructive. I gave my reasoning and my opinion and why I'm doing X and not Y. What else was I to add?
You tend to be snippish-sounding and don't really go into much detail, which makes it sound like you're irritated at having to explain things you shouldn't have to. As an example:

I never said that. Just that if such a thing needs to be obtained or such a person needs to be assassinated, the leader of the army is likely to hand the assignment to the squad that's clearly got the best track record. Also, calm down a bit. ^^^; I'm not sure if you're mad or not, but you're coming off as overly defensive.
What's to say you've got the best track record?

What about those other couple thousand people who are accomplishing things equal or even better than what you're accomplishing?
The whole "What about this? What about those thousands of others who are even better than you?" part sounds like you're exasperated with someone, not just explaining a concept or reasoning. Then you don't really go into much detail about what/how/when you'd be doing/thinking/reasoning instead, which is one of the reasons it just sort of keeps going afterwards.

Did I say they were not going to be the focus of the story? I say in a curious voice because apparently everyone needs that. ::)
That was another good example of insufficient explanation. You keep saying they won't be "the heroes" or "solving everything" and so on, without going into much detail as to exactly what that means. Thus, a lot of people assumed you meant "not the main characters somehow" or "part of a faceless blob doing trivial things," because you never said otherwise.

That might be a good way to denote actions in RTDs, come to think of it... as long as no one uses the color red for their character's speech/thoughts.
* IronyOwl prefers bolding.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: March 14, 2012, 09:23:19 pm »

* SerCon wonders if Gatleos is perhaps taking reservations on that sidekick RTD he was talking about while also testing the whole 'me' command thing.

Personally, I prefer bold still.

Red, while a different color, is still the same text size, which can already be decently easy to skim over. And as you mentioned someone could use the color red.

Bold, well, it's not only larger text and harder to ignore, but I don't think many people would use it for many reasons.

Maybe bold red?

...No, that's a terrible idea.

You tend to be snippish-sounding and don't really go into much detail, which makes it sound like you're irritated at having to explain things you shouldn't have to. As an example:
I think it's me thinking that everyone's attacking my ideas.

The "constructive criticism" everyone had was pretty negative in my eyes...

The fact that I had to go against multiple people, alone, didn't help.

The whole "What about this? What about those thousands of others who are even better than you?" part sounds like you're exasperated with someone, not just explaining a concept or reasoning.
I never said I wasn't mad yesterday.

Then you don't really go into much detail about 1what/2how/2when you'd be 1doing/2thinking/2reasoning instead, which is one of the reasons it just sort of keeps going afterwards.
1: Nobody asked many questions on what I'd be doing!
2: These four... don't really seem to fit when you try to combine them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:27:18 pm by Tarran »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: March 14, 2012, 09:34:28 pm »

I think it's me thinking that everyone's attacking my ideas.

The "constructive criticism" everyone had was pretty negative in my eyes...

The fact that I had to go against multiple people, alone, didn't help.
Well, to some extent it was, but mainly because they misunderstood what those ideas were.

Then you don't really go into much detail about 1what/2how/2when you'd be 1doing/2thinking/2reasoning instead, which is one of the reasons it just sort of keeps going afterwards.
1: Nobody asked many questions on what I'd be doing!
2: These four... don't really seem to fit when you try to combine them.
That's not really an excuse, though; if it's apparent that someone doesn't understand something that you do, you should probably try to explain it to them, not wait for them to realize they're wrong (possibly through a protracted discussion over all the wrong things) and begin asking the right questions.

And yeah, they weren't really intended to match or mean anything, just give a sense of vague variety.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 661