Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702250 times)

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3840 on: March 25, 2012, 10:37:04 am »

So I just read the last 2 50-post pages of the thread that I own and yet don't really look at, and I'm just going to be a bitch and say that nobody has paid attention to the first post, paragraph(?) 2. I don't think I've EVER seen some point or reference to this thread, despite it being here for... a long time. Haven't EVER updated that OP. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that this thread is still in use, and will hopefully never need to be stickied. Even though the RTD Hall of Fame is the first sticky of the RTD boards, we can all relish in the greatest non-RTD thread of all time. ((Yes, I am that proud.))

Anyway, the main reason I came here is to drop some ideas. And being myself, I have a LOT of ideas to drop. A LOT. Feel free to have a look at them.

Spoiler: ApothecaRTD (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spam Army (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RTD Live (click to show/hide)

And now, because take a penny leave a penny, I will now rant about ebbor's ideas.

History Monks could be bun, but I know jack shit nothing about Discworld so I don't know how good you could make it. Although, ((Going off what you've wrote)) if everything is supposed to go a specific way as written in a book, and the book does not mention the Monks getting involved in a certain scenario BUT THEY DO ANYWAY, doesn't that technically mean that they are breaking their own rules? ((Loopholes FTW))

Futuristic Idea:

Yes, that applause was merited. We finally get a plot idea featuring cryo that doesn't involve defunct ships (And a prison complex in one case)! Thank you for being original. As far as the ideas behind it are concerned, I quite like it. Not the kind of thing I would be interested in, but good nonetheless.

Submarine Idea... Let's look at it like this. How are you going to make submarine piloting fun? And I mean actually fun, not "I'm going to toss these enemies at you for some unmerited reason". ARRRRRRTD was good because it gave players other things to do while on their ship-in a close-future environment, what can you do on a submarine like that? If you can come up with a logical reason behind it, then fine, but I honestly don't see a way to make it work AND be fun.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3841 on: March 25, 2012, 10:39:12 am »

ApothecaRTD sounds fun. Maybe I'll have a try, though I can't grasp what mechanics should be in place..  ???
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:58:31 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: March 25, 2012, 11:01:05 am »

ApothecaRTD sounds fun. Maybe I'll have a try, though I can't grasp what mechanics should be in place >_<
Use my favourite: IMPROVISE!

Alternatively, assign all problems general names and numbers (Eg. Snake Bites could be Wounds 2 Poison 3), and assign ingredients similar stats, except in negatives if they cure (Eg. A Poisionous Berry could be Poison 1, but an anti-poision berry would be -1). Hide these stats from the players and force them to work things out. When potions are made, the numbers from the ingredients are added up and collated (Eg. Two Anti-Poision berries and one Poisonous one would work out at Poison -1). They then give the potions to patients and if the stats come to 0 or less, they're cured! I suppose immunity ingredients could be an idea: You can't go below 0, but get an immunity ingredient and you are now allowed to go to, say, -3.

...Wow, Kirby. A good idea? Are you on something?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: March 25, 2012, 11:02:39 am »

Request: Could anyone set up the RTD FAQ? Specifically what die is for? d6, d10 and d20 are the common ones I've heard, to help those new to RTDs.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: March 25, 2012, 11:04:43 am »

Basic rules are: d6 for everything.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3845 on: March 25, 2012, 11:06:31 am »

@Kirby

Yes. Yes, you are. :-D

That sounds good ...

... though there are a host of more issues xD
Oh, well, I'll hopefully make it by today.

@ebbor

Except when they're not. :3

Percentile dice are used when you have a very small chance that is less than 11% for something!

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: March 25, 2012, 11:26:06 am »

Randomblurt: I have taken it upon myself, on of the senior RTDers, to write the FAQ. Here's what the questions look like so far (and I only just started):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is going in its own thread later: as much as I hate clutter, I don't think grouping the Library and FAQ together is a good idea because people may be lazy bastards who can't be bothered looking at a library as well. Also, I intend to allow people to ask more questions, so I doubt mixing them with the nominations is a good idea =P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: March 25, 2012, 11:53:52 am »

Good to see you back, ExKirby! :)
Anyway, I've been pondering some RTD-related matters, and I was wondering: If an RTD was run using a D12 instead of the usual D6, would there still be just two numbers for crit sucesses/failures, or would you increase that number?
Also, would the GM using some kind of, not sure how to put it, 'morale' system be a good idea? By which I mean, rolling against a 'willpower' stat in certain cases to determine whether a PC is brave enough to attack X, whether they're heartless enough to slay an unarmed opponent, whether they aid their allies when horribly outnumbered or simply run away, or a whole other bunch of situations.
At first I thought the idea sounded cool, but then it started to seem rather railroad-y... And then I realised it was 2AM and my brain wasn't working so I figured I'd just make a poorly-worded, sleep-deprived post on here and be done with it. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: March 25, 2012, 12:01:18 pm »

And now, because take a penny leave a penny, I will now rant about ebbor's ideas.

History Monks could be bun, but I know jack shit nothing about Discworld so I don't know how good you could make it. Although, ((Going off what you've wrote)) if everything is supposed to go a specific way as written in a book, and the book does not mention the Monks getting involved in a certain scenario BUT THEY DO ANYWAY, doesn't that technically mean that they are breaking their own rules? ((Loopholes FTW))
The book just details the history of the world, but the Discworld, due to it's highly magical nature, tends to have problems with keeping the time organised. It helps that the Monk can actually manipulate time, including keeping rogue timeloops alive. Also due to an accident that will not be mentioned in this RTD, because it't what's the book about, time in Space on the disc are fractured. The Monks are just making a patch-up job.(For example, there's a certain battle that has happened several times in history). The book is quite inaccurate as it is.

The most important thing that you must know is that narrativium excist, and powers the entire world. Stories and other things have real power there. Also the way  thinks work is that the Present is defined as the moment you're currently experiencing. Both the future and the past have already happened and you are simply moving from A to B. There are also all sorts of complex things involving the Trousers of Time and such, but it often works out in the end.
Futuristic Idea:

Yes, that applause was merited. We finally get a plot idea featuring cryo that doesn't involve defunct ships (And a prison complex in one case)! Thank you for being original. As far as the ideas behind it are concerned, I quite like it. Not the kind of thing I would be interested in, but good nonetheless.
Bah, I want to respond to this but I can't really do it.

Submarine Idea... Let's look at it like this. How are you going to make submarine piloting fun? And I mean actually fun, not "I'm going to toss these enemies at you for some unmerited reason". ARRRRRRTD was good because it gave players other things to do while on their ship-in a close-future environment, what can you do on a submarine like that? If you can come up with a logical reason behind it, then fine, but I honestly don't see a way to make it work AND be fun.
I can't find the ARRRTD thingy, but there's lot of things you can do on and around your ship. Also, each player pilots his own ships and oil platforms. You can board ships, explore drowned cities in diving suits, visit underwater labs and others.

Spoiler: ApothecaRTD (click to show/hide)
Could be fun.  Probably would be.

Spoiler: Spam Army (click to show/hide)
Oh, I would join one of these. Maybe you could also have the waitlisters suggest new and dangerous traps for the G.M to use.

Anyway, I've been pondering some RTD-related matters, and I was wondering: If an RTD was run using a D12 instead of the usual D6, would there still be just two numbers for crit sucesses/failures, or would you increase that number?
Also, would the GM using some kind of, not sure how to put it, 'morale' system be a good idea? By which I mean, rolling against a 'willpower' stat in certain cases to determine whether a PC is brave enough to attack X, whether they're heartless enough to slay an unarmed opponent, whether they aid their allies when horribly outnumbered or simply run away, or a whole other bunch of situations.
At first I thought the idea sounded cool, but then it started to seem rather railroad-y... And then I realised it was 2AM and my brain wasn't working so I figured I'd just make a poorly-worded, sleep-deprived post on here and be done with it. :P
If you want to have the same crit succes: 2 numbers.
For the other one, I would give the player the choice to do such things, but you could give him or her penalties.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3849 on: March 25, 2012, 12:11:59 pm »

I have to say ExKirby, as a magnificently lazy individual, I applaud your innovation in the field of foisting GM duties onto the players.

This is one of those cases where player choice comes into direct conflict with game mechanics. At what point can the GM tell a player that they can't perform a certain action because "your character wouldn't do that"? In my opinion it doesn't matter what a player does, the GM should never prevent them from doing it just because it's "out of character". Roleplaying should never be affected by in-game mechanics, only the results of players' actions should ever be determined this way.

Of course, morale can be an exception in extreme cases. Dwarf Fortress adventure mode allows you unlimited freedom to walk around and do what you want, but if your character is exhausted to the point of passing out that doesn't really matter. A player should only be prevented from a certain action by physical or mental means, not because their conscience (i.e. the GM) forced them not to do it. I think the example you gave works.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: March 25, 2012, 02:31:53 pm »

Request: Could anyone set up the RTD FAQ? Specifically what die is for? d6, d10 and d20 are the common ones I've heard, to help those new to RTDs.
I really need to get on this. :-\
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: March 25, 2012, 03:01:10 pm »

Don't strain yourself Irony  :P, just one thing crossed my mind.

d10, d20 dice. What are they for? More variability in an RTD or another way of calculating the fate of the action?

>FAQ  :)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3852 on: March 25, 2012, 03:02:48 pm »

GM call.

...So actually both.

As far as I know.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3853 on: March 25, 2012, 03:07:24 pm »

Don't strain yourself Irony  :P, just one thing crossed my mind.

d10, d20 dice. What are they for? More variability in an RTD or another way of calculating the fate of the action?
It really depends. RtD is designed to only use d6, because it's more common. Unless you're using a detailed skill system or something, I see no reason to use anything higher than that.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3854 on: March 25, 2012, 03:09:09 pm »

For my random effect tables, I  put 5 as 'see other table' and 6 as 'roll twice and combine'. Think it's OK? o_O

(Of course, it hasn't seen any use yet. Apothecary >.>)

Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 661