Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702562 times)

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile

So, random idea. Looking back on Roll to RTD, (which I'd been checking mainly due to the hilarity of important NPC's being immolated beyond recognition without saying a word), I was wondering if anyone would be interested in the similar idea of a game which effectively runs two RTD's at once, but more interconnected.

That is to say, there'd be a real world and a cyberworld, and you control one character in each. However, what you do in the real world might cause changes in the cyberworld, and certain actions in the cyberworld could very well help you out in the real world. (For instance, you might be under siege by robots in the real world, and rather than escape or fight your way through, try to last until your other character could shut down the master control program in the cyberworld.) Somewhat like Megaman Battle Network, except with actual combat in the real world.

Anyway, what do you guys think? I messed around with the idea of taking Roll to roll to dodge to its logical extreme (aka: Roll to roll to roll to .... roll to dodge), but that would be a bit more effort than I'd want to commit to for my first game. XD

(RTRTD gave me another idea, Roll to Derm, but that would be notably less serious, and probably speaks for itself. Although it probably would be interesting running an RTD where the goal was for the players to destroy the plot/game setting. :P)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

<-- My legacy strikes yet again!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Although it probably would be interesting running an RTD where the goal was for the players to destroy the plot/game setting. :P )
There already was a game whose plot was about Derm destroying the game.

Unfortunately I had a severe case of nointerneteritis shortly afterwards.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, really? What?

Like, a central core thing?
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Considering you were going to be the BBEG, I think so.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well hell, where was this? I don't think I saw it.

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile

Ok, so I'm thinking of a roll to dodge survival kind of thing, where the players for whatever reason are stranded in Faerie, and have to survive and perhaps find a way out. The whole place is saturated with magic, so some forms of magic can be used via willpower.

I'm contemplating allowing players to chose the age they come from as part of their character, from the middle ages to the modern day (they would all be in Faerie at the same time, due to dimension crossing stuff). This will affect their skills, and I've decided that the closer to the middle ages someone's origin is, the more rhymes, riddles and customs they will know, in which there'll be ways to defeating the denizens of Faerie (for reasons that I'll explain later), for instance salt might be posionous to a stalker-type creature who lurks just behind you (this is based on the bizarre custom of throwing salt over your shoulder).
However, I'm not sure about what to give people closer to the modern day. The only thing I've come up with is increased willpower that would help use magic, but I'd prefer something else if you can come up with something.

I'm happy to expand on anything if people are interested.
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pepper modern equipment in some places. So only the modern-time people will be able to use it. The same thing that brought people could as well snatch items from different points in space and time.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Stream of consciousness RtD ideas go!

A RtD where the players play as "souls", and aren't tied down to a single character. Instead they could literally possess any character, and use them to further their goals. There would be a final goal that the players were working toward, and they could also have their own individual (and perhaps conflicting) objectives too. It would be a RtD/puzzle game hybrid, where players had to jump between various characters and use their unique attributes and abilities to progress.

There could even be a unique stat system where "possessable" characters have physical stats and the players have mental ones that are "plugged into" the character when they are possessed. Every time a player levels up, they get the ability to permanently "rip" an innate ability from a character they are possessing.

So for instance, player 3 levels up. Then he possesses Cyclops from the X-Men, and uses his ability point to rip Cyclops's eye laz0r ability from his head. Then player 3 can jump into an elephant's body and make it shoot laz0rs from its eyes, because it's his now.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Alright, I've been messing around with my spaceship RTD idea, and I've come across a potential balance issue. There are a number of categories for players to put their points in, but I'm not sure how many each player should get. I'm thinking each category would start with one point, plus some extra so players could customize their ships. Here are the categories:
Hull (HP. Run out and you die.)
Weapons (Attack. Roll higher than defense to do damage.)
Armor (Standard Defense, cannot be repaired.)
Shields (Special Defense, slightly weaker but are harder to fully destroy.)
Engines (Speed. The faster ship gets a small, non-scaling defense boost. I'm also working on a way to implement range, so faster ships can control it a little more.)
Crew (A second form of HP. If the entire crew dies, you lose.)
Command (Special orders such as repairs or ramming.)

Each of these can be damaged or destroyed thanks to damage rolls, with a corresponding loss in function. I'm trying to avert the whole "you can fight at full capacity until you lose your last health point" thing as much as possible.

Anyway, I'm thinking of each player getting 20 points each, but I'm not sure if that's too many or too few. Any words of experience?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

That sounds similar to the Uncharted Waters way. I think that's the best way to do it, yes.

As for balance... well, with so many stats... >.>

I guess you could provide a bunch of 'base' models, and have the players put a small number of stats to boost them even more.

Does Armor act as a damage reducing thing, or is it just another HP? o_O I suppose the 'defense' under Weapons means Armor + Shields?

In IRC Gatleos (was it?) had an idea for a forum game. Mainly, the whole thing is in some esoteric code, and the players have to accomplish a goal by discovering and using said code.

Question : what would motivate the players? o_o...

Yes, very hard, but still >_< What would motivate the players?!
As for the esoteric code, something similar to LOLCODE might be right, but using bay12 memes instead?

I'm thinking of maybe a 'hacking' sort of game. The players could team up and hack the government/banks/local 7-11, or they could hack each other.

This might actually be fun ...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about balance myself. Still, I've had this idea kicking around my head for a few months now (it's actually far more complex in my head), so I'd like to get it out in the open and see how it turned out.

Defense = Armor + Shields. Say one person had 5 attack and you had 5 Armor and 2 Shields (7 defense). Each side would roll a d20 and add their attack/defense. If the defender has the higher score, the attack is nullified. If the attacker has the higher score, he would roll a number of damage dice equal to the difference between the two (up to a maximum of the attack modifier, in this case 5).

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Would Shield be slowly decreased by attacks? o_O

Also, any thoughts about Project Codinggame? D:

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hadn't thought about decreasing shields, honestly O_o
The idea I had was that while shields could be repaired when damaged, they were weaker overall (the current plan I have is that your shield rating is half the number of points you put into the skill, rounded down). Armor is more solid, but once damaged it cannot be repaired mid-battle (it's kinda hard to weld massive metal plates onto a ship that's currently fighting). That way, the basic idea is to put most of your defense points into tried-and-true armor and maybe setting a few aside for expensive shield technology.

Not sure about a Coding Game, mostly because I'm not sure what format it would be. I'm assuming an RTD, but what sorts of rolls would you do? Would you invent your own language? LOLCODE might be fun, just for the sheer hilarity of everyone sounding like a lolcat, but you'd be alienating people who aren't very good at coding or the theory behind it. Or would there be no coding at all, everything is abstract?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I was thinking simplifying stuff. Like they teach in college Programming Methodology classes. Or Hollywood hacking. Such as openFirewallV1();.

Maybe... :\

What bay12 memes could be usable in this coding? D:

As for rolls... I'm not really sure at this juncture.

How would armor be damaged? o_O

Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 661