Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702548 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think shields should work as health, but they should slowly recharge. Also, there should be weapons which dealt more shield damage and others more "hull" damage, like in most spaceship games. Shield generators should also be expanded upon, so smaller ships with shitty hull could try to compensate with better shielding systems.

Edit: Wrong quote >:
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Or maybe...

Hull : HP
Armor : Used for damage rolls
Shield  : Act as regenerating HP?

:P

Anyways, its Sirius's game >.>

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's Roller's Block, the magical suggestions place. He can say "fuck you" to me or just see if I have spouted something other than nonsense.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

How would armor be damaged? o_O
Damage rolls. Roll a d20 and see what the result of getting shot is. You might lose a weapon system (-1 attack), a section of armor might be destroyed (-1 Armor), a vital section of the superstructure could be damaged (-1 Hull), the shot could hit a non-vital area and just leave a hole to be patched up later (best possible result, no "real" damage suffered), etc. In the worst-case scenario, the warp core could breach, causing additional damage rolls that might instantly destroy the ship.

@ Caellath: Hmm, I hadn't thought of that idea for shields. It might work better that way.
In a future version (assuming this one is successful), there will be different types of weapons that have different effects. For now though, the mass-drivers, missiles, lasers, etc all fall under the single "Weapon" stat.

He can say "fuck you" to me or just see if I have spouted something other than nonsense.
I try not to be so rude :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

In IRC Gatleos (was it?) had an idea for a forum game. Mainly, the whole thing is in some esoteric code, and the players have to accomplish a goal by discovering and using said code.

Question : what would motivate the players? o_o...

Yes, very hard, but still >_< What would motivate the players?!
As for the esoteric code, something similar to LOLCODE might be right, but using bay12 memes instead?

I'm thinking of maybe a 'hacking' sort of game. The players could team up and hack the government/banks/local 7-11, or they could hack each other.

This might actually be fun ...
There are plenty of esoteric and fictional coding languages simple enough for someone without a coding background to quickly understand, and it wouldn't be very hard to make another one. We don't need functionality and it doesn't have to be a practical language to use, it just needs to be quickly understandable and easy to use. As for a setting, something more fantastical than a simple "u r el1te haxx0rs" would probably do better. A coding language that alters reality would suffice here.

The big problem, one that I've brought up with other RtD concepts before, is that this is a game of learning a complex interface and bending it to your advantage. It's a puzzle game, where the challenge is in coming up with a way to word your actions to get the desired result. Combining that with a system where the result of your action is ultimately decided by random chance would severely undermine the whole concept. Unless anyone else has any ideas, I'd say it would work better as a suggestion game.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Well, I had a spaceship idea lying around, so I suppose I could drop it in here. Note that I might use it too, and that it's probably way to complicated for what  you are seeking:

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Power generators (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Heat management (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lifesupport (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jumpdrives (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shields (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Others (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Movement (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Accuracy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Player stats (click to show/hide)

This is getting complicated. If I ever use it I will make it a one ship only game.

Intended player budget: 10.000- 25.000 for the captain. 1.000-2.000 for individual crew members. Amount of player spots: 6
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:09:11 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I see a couple things with that.

For example, is it possible to just combine Structural Health and Patch-up Health? You could express it like this:

100 / 100 (80)

means that the original structural health is 80, you have 20 Patch-up health, and you have 0 damage right now.

Or alternatively, just represent it as

120 / 100

meaning you probably have 20 patch-up health, 100 total structural health, and you have zero damage.

Though I don't know what you are going to use that for, I presume its a forum game. If it is, I think simplifying things as much as possible without sacrificing customization/complexity is ideal.

Another part would be Size and Cargo. I suggest that they should be combined, and parts have volume ratings. Example:

Radar-based sensor kit v2 - 12
Conventional rockets - 10

The pro would be that you can possibly make a spaceship that sacrifices cargo carrying ability for functionality.

FAKEEDIT : Actually, it seems that that would be more confusing. To keep it the same as your thing, say that you have 'cargo space' only. And, each part you add to your ship is equal to 10 cargo. Now, we have only one number to manipulate.

..Or just go with variable-size parts.

What does 'concentric' in the second spoiler, 'Ship size, length and decks' mean? Does it mean that the decks aren't actually like the decks of a sea-faring ship, and are actually round like an onion and its layers?

If you mean they are stacked... well, nothing much.

It seems that structural health is equal to size/10... which means that your size(and or cargo space) must be very big ...

About 'heat', something that could be done is simply add up all the numbers for your player, making it like this (using [abbr])

8.6 excess heat per turn, sent to heatsink

I see that the only thing that produces heat is power production. Instead of having an orphaned stat, you could either do away with it, and instead make the generators larger or such, or you could require that you have enough radiator ability to cover your heat production before you can even leave the docks?

I'll try and make a theoretical ship:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Very complicated, I must note...

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

I see a couple things with that.

For example, is it possible to just combine Structural Health and Patch-up Health? You could express it like this:

100 / 100 (80)
That was how I intended to do it. You can patch up armor too.

means that the original structural health is 80, you have 20 Patch-up health, and you have 0 damage right now.

Or alternatively, just represent it as

120 / 100
This doesn't work, as it can't represent patching a damaged ship. (ie 50/80 (30))

meaning you probably have 20 patch-up health, 100 total structural health, and you have zero damage.

Though I don't know what you are going to use that for, I presume its a forum game. If it is, I think simplifying things as much as possible without sacrificing customization/complexity is ideal.

Another part would be Size and Cargo. I suggest that they should be combined, and parts have volume ratingsSize and cargo are combined. 1 non used size equals 10 cargo. Example:

Radar-based sensor kit v2 - 12
Conventional rockets - 10

The pro would be that you can possibly make a spaceship that sacrifices cargo carrying ability for functionality.

FAKEEDIT : Actually, it seems that that would be more confusing. To keep it the same as your thing, say that you have 'cargo space' only. And, each part you add to your ship is equal to 10 cargo. Now, we have only one number to manipulate.

..Or just go with variable-size parts.

What does 'concentric' in the second spoiler, 'Ship size, length and decks' mean? Does it mean that the decks aren't actually like the decks of a sea-faring ship, and are actually round like an onion and its layers? Yes, that's the only way to realistically create artificial gravity. It also allows people to protect reactors and other important things by stacking them on Deck 1

If you mean they are stacked... well, nothing much.

It seems that structural health is equal to size/10... which means that your size(and or cargo space) must be very big ...
I didn't do any balance yet. Size /5 might be a better idea.

About 'heat', something that could be done is simply add up all the numbers for your player, making it like this (using [abbr])

8.6 excess heat per turn, sent to heatsink

I see that the only thing that produces heat is power production. Instead of having an orphaned stat, you could either do away with it, and instead make the generators larger or such, or you could require that you have enough radiator ability to cover your heat production before you can even leave the docks?
Weapons and others are also intented to produce heat. Also, the ships systems produce used energy/5 heat per turn.

I'll try and make a theoretical ship:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes, Though I don't quite understand what you did with the jumpdrives. Also note that most numbers are unbalanced and made up on the spot.

Very complicated, I must note...Yeah I know.
Red for comments.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

120 / 100
This doesn't work, as it can't represent patching a damaged ship. (ie 50/80 (30))

I wasn't really supporting that part :P I suppose 100/100(80) is the way to go.

Size and cargo are combined. 1 non used size equals 10 cargo.

But right now, it doesn't seem like they are combined. In fact, they aren't - like in my 'ship character sheet' they have to be separated into Size and Cargo. I was proposing that you should just make it a big Cargo number, and have the various part sizes to be multiples of 10.

Yes, that's the only way to realistically create artificial gravity. It also allows people to protect reactors and other important things by stacking them on Deck 1

Actually, you can't create gravity that way. You have to either spin the ship round and round, or have a ship that has as much mass as a small moon.

>.>

Armor hp is not intended to be identical structural hp. Nor is it supposed to stack. a heavily armored deck would grant 60 hp no matter how large it is

I didn't quite understand that part when you originally wrote it :P

Yes, Though I don't quite understand what you did with the jumpdrives. Also note that most numbers are unbalanced and made up on the spot.

You said that jumpdrives (a) use 300 x size per jump (b) have a capacity of 50 each. Since the ship is sized 101, it takes 101 x 300 = 30300 energy per jump >.>

Unless, by 'size' you meant the jumpdrive's size.

I'm mostly trying to simplify your rough draft. <.< I feel like maybe I shouldn't have.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

120 / 100

I wasn't really supporting that part :P I suppose 100/100(80) is the way to go.

Size and cargo are combined. 1 non used size equals 10 cargo.

But right now, it doesn't seem like they are combined. In fact, they aren't - like in my 'ship character sheet' they have to be separated into Size and Cargo. I was proposing that you should just make it a big Cargo number, and have the various part sizes to be multiples of 10.Seems Ok

Yes, that's the only way to realistically create artificial gravity. It also allows people to protect reactors and other important things by stacking them on Deck 1

Actually, you can't create gravity that way. You have to either spin the ship round and round, or have a ship that has as much mass as a small moon.
I meant doing that and spinning the ship around. I just wanted it to represent internal damage more accuratelly.
>.>

Armor hp is not intended to be identical structural hp. Nor is it supposed to stack. a heavily armored deck would grant 60 hp no matter how large it is

I didn't quite understand that part when you originally wrote it :P

You said that jumpdrives (a) use 300 x size per jump (b) have a capacity of 50 each. Since the ship is sized 101, it takes 101 x 300 = 30300 energy per jump >.>

Unless, by 'size' you meant the jumpdrive's size. Yes, I did. 30300 is a bit much.

I'm mostly trying to simplify your rough draft. <.< I feel like maybe I shouldn't have. Yeah, then again it probably should be simplified, as half the mechanics aren't written yet it is already a bit too complex.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

I might use the system to create an RTD with players all being crew on one ship, but something is telling me I should just find a more simple way.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Actually, you could argue that 30300 energy for a size 100 ship is better than 600 - jumping through the fabric of time-space should be expensive.

But 30300 is too large, like you said.

Anyways, plan on~

@ebbor's ninja post

I would think your complex system can only work in a single-ship'd game, mainly because of the complexity ...

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

>.>

Yes you can, you totally can. Exact same principle as the whole-ship spin method, but the concentric deck method usually only applies the spin (and thus the artificial gravity) to the areas where people are likely to go. The non-spinning portion of the ship, the central hub that all the decks are arranged around, would probably contain mostly mechanical systems.

But that of course brings the next marvelous point...

Jump-drives but no artificial gravity?

Edit: Ninja'd into partial irrelevance.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I was kinda assuming your method falls under what I said.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Sorry 10ebbor10, but your system is just a little complicated for my Arena RTD :P

I do like the idea of multiple players in a single ship though. Try that!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 661