Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702243 times)

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousandth)
« Reply #5220 on: September 23, 2012, 04:22:54 pm »

I'm ripping off something. It isn't my idea at all, I stole if from someone else.

So what? I ripped off My first RTD from the popular Mall Fight forum Game., and just added RTD elements.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousandth)
« Reply #5221 on: September 23, 2012, 04:31:31 pm »

Loface combined with the iconic avatars of many regulars on this forum.
Next question: What is Loface and why do you use it?

A long, long, long, long-

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Whatever, if this old avatar doesn't explain it nothing will.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: September 23, 2012, 09:49:08 pm »

Freeform, who all are you lofacing in your avatar, anyway? I recognize Darvi, applesauce, Vorthon, PoH, MaximumZero, and Aqizzar (I think that's how it's spelled), but a few others puzzle me. ^^^;
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: September 23, 2012, 10:39:28 pm »

I recognize Penguinofhonor in there too.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: September 23, 2012, 10:47:22 pm »

Freeform, who all are you lofacing in your avatar, anyway? I recognize Darvi, applesauce, Vorthon, PoH, MaximumZero, and Aqizzar (I think that's how it's spelled), but a few others puzzle me. ^^^;

There's also Bauglir and freeformtroll.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: September 23, 2012, 11:47:42 pm »

@GSF: PoH = Penguin of Honor. I'm lazy when it comes to names, which is also why I don't mind people calling me SerCon or SC. :P
@FFS: I recognize Bauglir now that you said it. Not sure why I didn't initially get it. ^^^; And oh God that second troll... >.<
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: September 23, 2012, 11:54:01 pm »

I'm ripping off something. It isn't my idea at all, I stole if from someone else.

"Nihil Sub Sole Novum"- There is nothing new under the Sun.

Or to put it another way, "Good artists borrow, great artists steal."

Or to put it another another way, nobody is going to care where you got the idea from, provided it's a good idea, hasn't been done to death, and you execute it well. And really, you'll have happy players if you've got 2/3.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5227 on: September 24, 2012, 01:45:30 am »

@FFS: I recognize Bauglir now that you said it. Not sure why I didn't initially get it. ^^^; And oh God that second troll... >.<
You will always be SerCon to me xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: September 24, 2012, 07:46:24 am »

Yay, posting again after a long time, thinking of making another RTD that will inevitably be abandoned~

So, um...
 What do you guys think about mecha? You know - giant war robot things? More specifically, unrealistic anime style mecha (humanoid, fast moving, flexible, often wielding guns like an infantryman would, melee robot kung-fu), as opposed to western style realistic mecha (war walkers, slow, used like futuristic tanks).

You see, I'm having this huge anime mecha itch. I was going to play MechWarrior 4 instead, but I realized that it's too realistic and, therefore, not what I'm looking for (not that I don't like realistic mecha) and I was playing a lot of Gearhead II, since I finally figured out how to play it, but it feels kind of unpolished and has a sort-of-dying community, which is depressing.

This is sort of an interest check, because I want to know how much effort I should put into this, since it will be depressing if I try too hard and end up without players.

Planned features:
-Staying on the center of the freedom-vs-railroading scale : the game will be a sandbox type game, but stuff happens in the world without your intervention - plot as the game demands and as the player chooses.
-No forced player teaming. There definitely won't be a "you all meet in an inn" type beginning - two players may, for example, meet each other in a mission if they're in the same faction, know each other before the start of the game, meet by coincidence or perhaps not meet for the entire game. There will even be optional PvP: perhaps player 1 is fighting in a war for one nation and player 2 is fighting for another nation. Perhaps one of them is a mercenary. Perhaps player 1 serves a law enforcement organization and player 2 is an outlaw. Perhaps player 1 robs a convoy of a large corporation, which then hires player 2 - a bounty hunter, to hunt player 1.   
-Nations and factions. As mentioned previously, there will be different factions, and lots of politics, competition and wars happening between them even if you don't interfere. Joining them is optional - why not fight for your own goals, be it wealth, ideals or simply adventure? In fact why not create a faction yourself? (I know a lot of people don't like faction-based gameplay, but I will try not to railroad anyone into joining faction politics.)
-Lots of focus on character interaction, be it between players or with NPCs.
-Focus on fun rather than rules and game mechanics. Like many RTDs, there will be some math and modifiers, but the most important rules are the "rule of fun" and the "rule of that makes sense". Focus on fun also means that the game will be not-so-serious and often over-the-top, but not entirely comedic silliness, meaning that I will let you play your HOTBLOODED character with cool shades if you wish so.

I may already be over-thinking this...
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: September 24, 2012, 08:45:21 pm »

So, um...
 What do you guys think about mecha? You know - giant war robot things? More specifically, unrealistic anime style mecha (humanoid, fast moving, flexible, often wielding guns like an infantryman would, melee robot kung-fu), as opposed to western style realistic mecha (war walkers, slow, used like futuristic tanks).

I heartily approve. I'm not happy with the damage/ability system I was exploring there, but I've always meant to go back and poke at it more. I'd be interested to see what kind of thing you come up with!

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: September 24, 2012, 08:46:05 pm »

My god yes. I welcome the proposal full heartedly.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: September 25, 2012, 06:07:27 am »

A simple mech game?

YES! YES!
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: September 25, 2012, 08:16:44 am »

Huh. I kind of had doubts about the idea (partially due to the lack of response), but since you guys seem to really like it, I guess I'll have to make this work now. 
 I'm giving you three reserved spots, since that's what I usually do after interest checks.

I'm not happy with the damage/ability system I was exploring there, but I've always meant to go back and poke at it more. I'd be interested to see what kind of thing you come up with!
A really simple "thing". As I've mentioned, there won't be many exact numeral values, so there won't be numbers for damage. As for system damage - every weapon is associated with a part of the mecha. Destroy that part and you destroy the weapon. Destroy the legs - no more walking (flying increases your mobility, and therefore chance to evade attacks, walking increases your stability, and therefore your aim). Destroying the propulsion system makes you incapable of flight. Destroying both means of movement makes your mech crash and you die. Destroying the torso means that your mech loses integrity and is destroyed. Destroying the head kills the pilot. 
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: September 25, 2012, 08:50:29 am »

tomas, I found it interesting and I also believe you're competent enough to pull it off. I'd join it.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: September 25, 2012, 09:37:03 am »

tomas, I found it interesting and I also believe you're competent enough to pull it off. I'd join it.
I'm giving you a reserved spot too then, as well as the right to have your character be the resident magnificent bastard.
 Though I will be busy tomorrow and don't feel like starting today. I'm one of those silly young people that go to school and I am also the secretary of the school's student council election committee. Since tomorrow is voting day, I will have to count the votes (A LOT of votes) and write some protocols. As I live far from the school, such minor changes in my schedule can really mess up my plans.
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 661