Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699505 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousandth)
« Reply #5280 on: September 28, 2012, 08:42:22 pm »

Ideas, damn it. They keep happening.

Horror RTD

An RTD with horror elements. It's like a D&D game, except you can't fight nearly as well as an enemy. If you try you might stall it but you'll die in any encounter you don't run from.

Attempt to throw a lot at the players: moral dilemmas, suspense, lighter and even some difficult puzzles, shit suddenly happening out of fucking nowhere, and a "sanity meter"

The sanity meter works like so: Any time you don't feel safe, the bar does not recharge or go down. Seeing graphic or terrifying imagery, creatures, being forced to stay in the dark for any amount of time, or close encounters with the creatures cause the bar to drop.

Characters start with 10 sanity points. Seeing disturbing scenery for the first time subtracts one point. Seeing but not interacting with the horrific creatures subtracts 1 point. Staying in the dark for too long subtracts 1 point per turn and 1 extra point when a creature is seen.
Close encounters, if survived, subtract 3 points and 1 from the total you can have.

Sanity can be regenerated by staying in lit areas.
---
I don't much have a setting yet, and this would probably be limited to 3 or so players.
Another thing is that no one is allowed to know who's who. This could be broken with PMs, unfortunately, but characters are submitted via PM and so are turns. This is for another mechanic:
The Fourth Player.

The GM is working against you but you don't know that. There are four people, there are three "players". Someone is going to try and kill you all.

---
The setting I had formulated in my head is sort of a haunted mansion crossed with Ib crossed with Amnesia with a little war horror thrown in for good measure. Mix thoroughly, and return a description like this:

I awoke with a throbbing headache on a cold and unfamiliar floor. As I came to, I realized I was in a location I had never seen before. It looked like a fancy but old house, with various signs of aging around many lavish furnishings. A cold draft blew by, causing me to shiver.

I looked around. There was a door to the right, a door to the left, and a painting of a lady on the far wall. The floor was some kind of hardwood, which seemed to be creaking even when i wasn't moving. The room wasn't too dark, a few lanterns burning on stools.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousandth)
« Reply #5281 on: September 28, 2012, 09:12:02 pm »

You could always use the base damage as a modifier- rifles could have something like "roll 3 take highest" or something. Multi-fire guns could take the result, decrease in actual damage, but bypass defense: A roll of 2 does nothing on a MG that "divide by 3 pass def", but a roll of 6 does 2 damage per supposed hit (i.e., five shots)

Um could you put that in layman's terms?
It's FEF, not FEOF

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: September 28, 2012, 09:17:41 pm »

Ideas, damn it. They keep happening.

Horror RTD

An RTD with horror elements. It's like a D&D game, except you can't fight nearly as well as an enemy. If you try you might stall it but you'll die in any encounter you don't run from.

Attempt to throw a lot at the players: moral dilemmas, suspense, lighter and even some difficult puzzles, shit suddenly happening out of fucking nowhere, and a "sanity meter"

The sanity meter works like so: Any time you don't feel safe, the bar does not recharge or go down. Seeing graphic or terrifying imagery, creatures, being forced to stay in the dark for any amount of time, or close encounters with the creatures cause the bar to drop.

Characters start with 10 sanity points. Seeing disturbing scenery for the first time subtracts one point. Seeing but not interacting with the horrific creatures subtracts 1 point. Staying in the dark for too long subtracts 1 point per turn and 1 extra point when a creature is seen.
Close encounters, if survived, subtract 3 points and 1 from the total you can have.

Sanity can be regenerated by staying in lit areas.
---
I don't much have a setting yet, and this would probably be limited to 3 or so players.
Another thing is that no one is allowed to know who's who. This could be broken with PMs, unfortunately, but characters are submitted via PM and so are turns. This is for another mechanic:
The Fourth Player.

The GM is working against you but you don't know that. There are four people, there are three "players". Someone is going to try and kill you all.

---
The setting I had formulated in my head is sort of a haunted mansion crossed with Ib crossed with Amnesia with a little war horror thrown in for good measure. Mix thoroughly, and return a description like this:

I awoke with a throbbing headache on a cold and unfamiliar floor. As I came to, I realized I was in a location I had never seen before. It looked like a fancy but old house, with various signs of aging around many lavish furnishings. A cold draft blew by, causing me to shiver.

I looked around. There was a door to the right, a door to the left, and a painting of a lady on the far wall. The floor was some kind of hardwood, which seemed to be creaking even when i wasn't moving. The room wasn't too dark, a few lanterns burning on stools.

You do this and I call pre-in. >.> IMO there's never enough good horror RTDs out there.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: September 28, 2012, 09:41:54 pm »

You could always use the base damage as a modifier- rifles could have something like "roll 3 take highest" or something. Multi-fire guns could take the result, decrease in actual damage, but bypass defense: A roll of 2 does nothing on a MG that "divide by 3 pass def", but a roll of 6 does 2 damage per supposed hit (i.e., five shots)

Um could you put that in layman's terms?

What's above is another of my overcomplicated solutions.

Better. With the base damage system, you could roll attack-defense, and:
If the attacker is higher, take the extra and add it to base damage:
Attacker rolls a 5, defender rolls a 2. Therefore, damage dealt is 3+Base Damage.
This would require tweaking base damages to be lower than your other values respective of a d6. Generally, take however much damage you want a gun to do and subtract by 2 or three to get base damage. If you want a rifle to average 5 damage, give it a base damage of 2 or 3.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: September 28, 2012, 09:44:00 pm »

Hmmmmm, I actually hadn't included defense in my mechanics, I had just been having differing amounts of HP to make up for it.

Edit:Though now that I reread what you said, this could work with what I have yes.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:46:02 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: September 28, 2012, 09:47:33 pm »

Hmmm. I assume you want the simplest solution possible, because of the intensive nature of the game.

You don't actually need a defense system for this, it's really no more than a counter-roll. In fact, if you made it so:
Base Damage + d6 roll
Reaction d8 roll

this is fairly simple, has a good hit ratio, and requires nothing more than HP, base damage, and two dice.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: September 28, 2012, 09:51:23 pm »

Yay!
It's FEF, not FEOF

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: September 28, 2012, 10:06:08 pm »

I've been toying around with the idea of a side-view version of my combat system. Any suggestions?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: September 28, 2012, 10:08:20 pm »

I've been doing some simplifications to that earlier mecha racing game, but I still can't seem to come up with a good form of balance. When using three stats, it's hard to train all three equally. I have a few courses that test Speed and Durability, but nearly all of them have a strong recommendation for a 5 or 6 in Control. Control is also checked an absurd amount, and speed is wonky. I may have to rewrite the entire system because as it stands:

obstacle!
check stat (require)
base stat + d6 roll
if pass, +1 speed stage
if fail, check durability.
If durability pass, -1 speed
If durability fails, catastrophic crash

speed stages are from 0-6. When travelling at high speeds it takes less time for you to complete an obstacle and therefore less time is added to your total.

This poses a HELL of a lot of problems. First off, track designs often require a good Control stat, which is annoying but the track has to turn.
Secondly, speed is always shifting and there's just as much risk as going 10mph as 100mph, which feels wrong.
Thirdly, Speed as a stat and speed stages are unrelated, making one obsolete.

---

So it's too wonky to work. I was thinking about shifting Durability to be an HP value, and getting rid of the Speed stat. This gives me room to break turning into two separate categories and create a new catch-all for anything not covered. This still dosen't fix the speed problem.

A third solution is three different track part types: speed checkers, turn checkers, and endurance checkers, where each part of a track only affects one value at a time, but I hate that. With a passion.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: September 28, 2012, 10:11:56 pm »

As for the new view, it looks good to me and I'm not seeing anything missing. Characters attempting to inhabit the same space and moving enemies could present a problem, but that would easily be solved by breaking off the action, resolving the problem, then continuing.

I.E:
Action, blah.
Player bumps into Player!
Action, fun.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: September 28, 2012, 10:17:43 pm »

As for the new view, it looks good to me and I'm not seeing anything missing. Characters attempting to inhabit the same space and moving enemies could present a problem, but that would easily be solved by breaking off the action, resolving the problem, then continuing.

I.E:
Action, blah.
Player bumps into Player!
Action, fun.

I only see a problem when two characters end on the same space, as all of the actions happen in order, and allies can move through each other with no problem but come to a halt when trying to move through enemies. Mechanically it could still work, but visually it's a bit cluttered so I could just push someone out like this:

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: September 29, 2012, 10:49:46 pm »

More ideas. I swear to god if another gladiator idea jumps me I'll just take all the old ones and hae IDEAS fighting for supremacy...

This time it's a mage-specific gladiator game.

Welcome to The Institute, fellow mage. We're the greatest, hell, the only mage college in the land. We've expanded knowledge in magics tenfold in the past five years and our number of excellent scholars only grows. If you're here I assume you passed our "entrance exam" by whatever means you could, so congratulations on that. Grab a dorm key and get set in, but first, I need to let you know something about costs. See, tuition is free, but there's a little contract we need you to sign first...

Basically, this is heavier on playing roles than actual fights due to my ability to more-than-likely update weekly, but at it's core it's a gladiator game. Filled with mages of the not-so-squishy variant.

Character creation is simple enough, you get to choose a branch of magic and three spells to take along with you- open to suggestions but anything mechanic-intensive will probably be denied. You also get a little training in some form of weapon, and two of your starting equipment items are given random enchantments.

What I need:

Name:
Branch:
Spells:

Equipment:

Note that rolls are done really simply. Your attacks get 1d6. Your dodges/defense also gets a d6. Combat flow is story driven instead of by roll. Enemies don't roll unless they're a boss or something.

Your mage can have up to 8 equipped items for armor, and gets only one weapon (The weapon sucks, though it could look nice if it's a family heirloom or something. Your starting weapon nets you a -2 to melee unless spells or enchantments boost it. You can buy others... eventually.

On the topic of races, there's a LOT in the college but none of them affect rolls at all. Some of the stranger ones on the list?
The Ravi, nicknamed Minitaurs. Rare, but they have a few mages in their ranks. Like giant sheep people.
Tsuchigumo, a small civilization eolved from animal people. They have a spider's lower body, and have the torso of a man (Or woman.). They have some spider features on their heads like fangs and two small, extra eyes.
Angelis, a winged humanoid with four wingsand sharp claws.
Drovi, small and kobold-like. They're generally hairier than kobolds and hail from cold climates, but are normally just as squishy.

But yeah, feel free to add to the list.

Spell branches would follow all the elements, light/dark, phenomena, combat boosts, and generally anything I don't outright deny for being all complicated.
Attacking spells can hit one enemy, in a wave, in an area, orbit, or auto-target. This determines how they act against multiple enemies.
Defensive spells can be harming, active, or internal. Harming defensive form walls and the like which can hurt the enemy, active changes body composition or forms nondamaging shields, and internal steels oneself for an incoming blow.
Boost spells can add to rolls, reroll failures, add to end damage and the like.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: September 30, 2012, 10:17:54 am »

I have a strange urge to do a Mobile suit gundam RTD. Any suggestions on how I should do it?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:29:06 am by Tavik Toth »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: September 30, 2012, 10:55:18 am »

Hey I have another question. I'm not sure how I should handle shields since I have no defense stat since defense is expressed by stronger bodyparts having higher HP and the gameplay has a thing about damage sometimes being distributed among multiple bodyparts and such. What should I do?
It's FEF, not FEOF

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: September 30, 2012, 11:08:45 am »

When in doubt, bonuses/penalties. Shields may provide negative modifiers to any attackers' rolls. Alternately, they only do so under certain conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 661